Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruising down the a main road at about 65-70mph, I felt the 636 start to drag. I quickly switched to the outside lane and pulled in the clutch when....the front brakes completely locked up sending me over the bars, onto my shoulder and sliding down the road. And now, to our feature presentation.

Bike: 06 zx6r with cheap frame sliders, recently installed ss brake lines & hh pads.

The gear: alpinestar tz1 reload jacket, jeans. Virtually untouched gear:alpinestar boots & gloves. Scorpion helmet.

The jacket held up great and I will be getting another one for hot weather riding. Still saving for some leather pants and yes the previous leg scar is from a soccer game and was worse than my battle scars. Time to ice my shoulder, cover my wounds and have margaritas with my wonderful women while surfing the net for parts.

Gear up and be safe family.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Damn dude that sucks!! Glad your ok though! Did you just recently install the lines and pads?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Glad your injuries are relatively minor..... that can't be the outcome you expected from upgrading your brakes.

I have to presume your pads were touching the rotors and heated up the fluid to the point where it expanded and locked the brakes.

Did you get all the bubbles out of the lines?

Did you clean the pistons in the calipers before you put everything back together?

What brand of brake fluid did you use?

Do you have aftermarket levers?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn dude that sucks!! Glad your ok though! Did you just recently install the lines and pads?
Yes, the front pads were dragging (after the install) so I cleaned the calipers, bled them again and went on a couple of test rides. All seemed well until today.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
That sucks man, sorry to hear this. Def sounds like the brakes were dragging, excess heat continued to build up and expand the brake fluid, and the brakes eventually locked.

Maybe the pistons were sticking due to bad seals, dirt, grime, etc. I recommend you fully take apart those calipers, clean them, and replace any seals that are bad.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure why they locked up. Everything was clean, no bubbles in the line. I did have to crack open the bleeders to push the pistons back far enough to get the new pads in. The calipers, master cylinder and levers are all stock (for now). Any suggestions on front caliper rebuild/replace aftermarket/replace with same or different year?

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
Damn thats scary but at least ur not hurt too bad. Dont the 05/06 bikes have an issue with the master cylinder which cause the brakes to lock? Ive heard this same thing happening many times before.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Holy Smokes Mang! Good to see that you walked away with minor injury. I would double check to make sure you mounted the front wheel back on correctly. I haven't taken my Kawi front wheel off yet so, I am not sure if Kawasaki uses front wheel spacers.
I did make the mistake on my 2001 Honda CBR 929 of note putting the wheel spacers on the correct side. It resulted in brake drag but, not lock up. I swapped the spacer and wheel spun freely again. Hope for a speedy recovery and a quick repair of your bike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Glad your ok man,it's a good day when we can walk away from something like this.Fix her up and get back in the saddle bro.Post some photos when you get her done.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Dont the 05/06 bikes have an issue with the master cylinder which cause the brakes to lock?
There is a known issue with the 05/06 MC but the issue causes the system to lose pressure which results in a soft lever. Have never heard about it causing the brakes to lock.

Any suggestions on front caliper rebuild/replace aftermarket/replace with same or different year?
I would suggest you go the same route that myself and many others went and look for a set of 07-12 ZX6 calipers which are a direct replacement. They are supposed to be much better and can be found cheap on eBay.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts