Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

It's been a bit since I've been onto the forums. So last year I started having an issue with my brakes, more specifically my front brakes. I hadn't been out on the bike in a few weeks and I noticed my front brake was complete mush. Bled the lines and everything bled nice except for the the nipple near the throttle. At first it bled black, before eventually becoming lighter and looking normal. Everything was all fine and dandy for quite some time before a string of bad weather kept me off the bike for a while. My brother had been over and noticed my front brake was back to being mush.

Is this something I should let a shop deal with, or would a rebuild kit help in this instance?

Definitely want to get this figured out/taken care of before riding season starts!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
completely flush the brake fluid, and then re-assess.
Thank you, I'll do that soon when the weather warms up a little (or I'll get a damn space heater for the garage :laugh:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
completely flush the brake fluid, and then re-assess.
Sounds like you are low on fluid. If not............

+1 on completely flush the fluid. Might as well do the rear at the same time since it's probably in the same condition or worse. Be sure to bleed both calipers on the front and just when you think you're done, do it some more. Brake fluid is cheap.

Check your brake pad thickness. If the brake pistons are at max or near max extension the whole mechanism starts to behave strangely.

If you have good fluid, good pads (MINIMUM 2mm or just a hair over 1/16th inches) and it's still misbehaving properly then you need a rebuild which I strongly recommend get's done by someone experienced.

PS: Spilled brake fluid will absolutely destroy paint. Wipe up spills promptly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Since you bled them. I'd inspect your caliper pistons (since its free). Have someone squeeze the lever and see if there are any stuck or un-even pistons when compressed. Are they corroded? Mine were, so when the 6 pot tokico would compress on the rotor, 5/6 would grab but one would go halfway which caused my mushiness.

If they look good, yes I do a master rebuild kit. I like All Balls Racing, I've done all 3 bikes at one point or another and they held up after track duty abuse. You can do it yourself. You will need a C-Clip tool (HF has them for like 6 bucks), a clean space and if you have a mighty vac or a brake bleed tool *makes life easier to get the fluid started since the system will be bone dry* you should be in business. Remember patience, a clean surface, and lots of drip rags!.

If you don't like your ride getting some brake fluid just pull off the lever and use a workbench. Since your Lever is off, I'd lightly grease the pivot bolt, half the bikes I buy have squeaky levers an I find abrasion from rubbing. It makes the brake pull more uniform and buttery. I also do the clutch lever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts