Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so the rotors on my bike are warped. Probably from the wreck the previous owner had and I am thinking while im replacing stuff I might as well go ahead and upgrade some stuff. Im definitely getting some steel lines but I think I heard the 2014s have bigger rotors and calipers. Does anyone know if those are bolt on? Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
13,321 Posts
Upgrade the master cylender. I went with the brembo 19x18. I now have Devine intervention in my speed and direction.

Ey3

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
The 05/06 has a known issue with the MC, so might as well take this opportunity to rebuild yours ($50 rebuild kit) or replace it with a new one. A simple replacement is an 07+ model which also has a larger piston (16mm instead of 14mm) resulting in a shorter lever pull. Or, as someone above suggested, you could get an aftermarket unit which is even nicer.

Braided lines are always a nice upgrade. I recently upgraded to a Goodridge GP 1-2 line which is a really nice option.

The 05-12 models all had 300mm rotors while the 13+ models have 310mm rotors. So you are right with that assumption. If you were to get a set of those you would either need to install caliper spacers or upgrade to 13+ calipers which are really nice monoblock Nissin units.

Speaking of calipers, another popular upgrade with the 05/06 model are the 07+ calipers. 07-12 calipers are a direct bolt on swap and are apparently way smoother than the 05/06 Tokico's. I did this upgrade earlier this year but dude to an injury have not been able to test how well they work yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah ive heard that the nissins are way better but I just wanted to confirm the newest style would work. I mean heck if I have to replace might as well go with the best I can and for the master cylinder ive looked at the brembo over and over but just keep wondering if I want to drop that much cash for a mostly street driven bike. But hey as long as the bike is happy :naughty:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Ive got Brembo 19x20 master, Hel Lines, and rbf600 brake fluid on my 06, and im just in process of fitting 2014 rotors and nissin monoblock calipers.... fitting them at the weekend as just painted them black same as rear they are currently drying...

·
Super Moderator
13,321 Posts

·
Registered
4,877 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
You can also swap over to an R6 Brembo MC.

Here is my brake setup, but it may be too expensive for your budget.

Brembo RCS19
Brembo Reservoir
Galfer smoked front brake lines
08 R6 calipers
ZX14 Rotors

·
Registered
253 Posts
I upgraded to 300mm discs on my 03/04 (std ones are 280mm) and it made a noticeable difference. I am getting brake fade issues on the track, so my next upgrade is going to be an 19x18 Brembo/Accossato MC. I'll see how I get on with that and may then upgrade to 07+ Nissin calipers after that.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I upgraded to 300mm discs on my 03/04 (std ones are 280mm) and it made a noticeable difference. I am getting brake fade issues on the track, so my next upgrade is going to be an 19x18 Brembo/Accossato MC. I'll see how I get on with that and may then upgrade to 07+ Nissin calipers after that.
A master cylinder wont cure that. Master cylinder give you better pressure and better feel.

Do you have a steel braided lines?

What brake pads are you running?

also what brake fluid are you using?

·
Registered
253 Posts
A master cylinder wont cure that. Master cylinder give you better pressure and better feel.

Do you have a steel braided lines?

What brake pads are you running?

also what brake fluid are you using?
Yep, one of the first things I do on any bike is fit braided lines.

Running Bendix MRR sintered race pads.

Motul RBF600 Dot4 race fluid.

I'd never thought about it being the m/c, until reading this article here - Curing Brake Fade

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 06. I rebuilt the original master cylinder. Braided lines from core. Calipers from an 08. EBC hh sintered pads. Auto store brake fluid. The braking is vastly improved. No fade or squishy lever. I think the calipers are what causes most of the brake fade in the original braking system. The tokicos arent the best quality and may need to be rebuilt. Air may be getting in to the system through the seals. It is easier to replace the calipers than to rebuild them.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Yep, one of the first things I do on any bike is fit braided lines.

Running Bendix MRR sintered race pads.

Motul RBF600 Dot4 race fluid.

I'd never thought about it being the m/c, until reading this article here - Curing Brake Fade
Well that make sense, i didn't think about the M/C seals until reading that article. Thanks for that info. learn something new everyday.

Reactions: JaWheel

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hmmm... so do you guys reckon I'd be better spending my money on 07+ Nissin calipers rather than a new m/c?

Or both?!?

(Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack!)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Hmmm... so do you guys reckon I'd be better spending my money on 07+ Nissin calipers rather than a new m/c?

Or both?!?

(Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack!)
I'd do both.... but thats just me....

I've been thinking about upgrading to 08+ R6 calipers, nothing wrong with my stock calipers, I just want more stopping power without spending big dollars on Brembo calipers

Reactions: Ebster1085

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I'd do both.... but thats just me....
Agreed.

I initially rebuilt my 06 MC, swapped in braided lines, and got some nice Vesrah pads. Braking was vastly improved, and I no longer lost the lever after a few sessions out on the track.

However, after swapping in a full 07-12 front brake system (MC and Nissin calipers) my braking was improved tenfold. More power, crisper and firmer lever, shorter lever pull, and much better feel. I always felt like the 06 Tokico's were abrupt coming off trail brake and the Nissin's are silky smooth.

I also started running Carbone Lorraine pads and love them!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'm now running brembo 19x20 m/c zx6r 2014 310mm discs , zzr1400 nissin calipers , ebc sintered pads, hel lines and rbf600 brake fluid , the discs and pads are brand spankers so got to bed them in a bit but braking is fantastic already haven't hammered them yet ... Can see a few stoppies in my future

1 - 20 of 42 Posts