Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a strange issue. I replaced my front brake pads with new galfer pads. After installation I got strong vibration when braking at slow speeds, a grinding noise and sometimes a squealing sound. I'm not sure what I messed up. The brakes still work and slow me down from high speeds with no drama, but coming to a stop at a stoplight bring on vibrations strong enough to shake the bars a bit. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Which Galfer pad, specifically!

and did you thoroughly clean the rotor and then bed in the pads correctly?

Reactions: Kiwak and laggy311

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Got a strange issue. I replaced my front brake pads with new galfer pads. After installation I got strong vibration when braking at slow speeds, a grinding noise and sometimes a squealing sound. I'm not sure what I messed up. The brakes still work and slow me down from high speeds with no drama, but coming to a stop at a stoplight bring on vibrations strong enough to shake the bars a bit. Any thoughts?
Clean the ever living shit outta your rotors. Emery cloth. Acetone. Acetone until you can eat off them.

You gotta bed the pads. Best way is a low traffic area near a freeway. Some do 20, then 25 then 30 up to 50...But go up to 40 mph and brake hard until ALMOST stopped, release brake, back up to 40, brake hard until almost stopped. Do this 5 times total. Then go ride on a freeway for 5-10 minutes to cool down pads. AT NO POINT SHOULD YOU ENGAGE THE BRAKES WHILE STOPPED. HOT PADS WILL IMPRINT ON ROTORS AND CAUSE PERMANENT VIBRATIONS. So when you go from low traffic road to a traffic light to the freeway, for example, use rear brake if you’re on a hill or whatever. Do this cycle of 5 stops with cooling 5 times. Or 3 times then the next day 2 times. And they’ll be bedded.

Properly bedded Galfer HH pads will enable 2 finger emergency braking that will cause heat smoke to rise from the rotors on one stop in chilly weather. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeeeeaaaaahhhh I never cleaned the rotors, just straight swapped the pads and tried bedding them. Are the pads screwed or can this be rectified?

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Yeeeeaaaaahhhh I never cleaned the rotors, just straight swapped the pads and tried bedding them. Are the pads screwed or can this be rectified?
I don’t imagine they’re screwed. Pads are more durable than you’d think in this case.

Clean rotors as prescribed for sure. Scuff up the pads on clean, higher grit sandpaper (320-400ish) using a clean spot for each pad, and brake cleaner to clean off. Like have the sandpaper flat on a table and move pad back and forth a couple times (versus doing it in your hand because of unevenness). I’ve had success with this to dislodge noise making particles.

Re-bed after.

@riverszzr? Yay or nay?

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
I don’t imagine they’re screwed. Pads are more durable than you’d think in this case.

Clean rotors as prescribed for sure. Scuff up the pads on clean, higher grit sandpaper (320-400ish) using a clean spot for each pad, and brake cleaner to clean off. Like have the sandpaper flat on a table and move pad back and forth a couple times (versus doing it in your hand because of unevenness). I’ve had success with this to dislodge noise making particles.

Re-bed after.

@riverszzr? Yay or nay?
Sounds fine.... I use 220grit on a flat plate and will do a circular around the paper maybe 5-10 circles, then make sure the leading edge has a slight bevel (leading edge of front section and at the seam if the pad has one)

Reactions: laggy311

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't crack any lines or anything, just pushed the pistons back in. I'll have to check the calipers to see about the clips. Are the pins supposed to be sort of difficult to push into place?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found the core issue, I put one pad in backwards. Moral of the story is, don't work on vehicles drunk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts