Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2018 z900rs, 2021 cb1000r, 2013 zx6r
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Tread Sleeve Tire Grey

Wondering if these are necessary, I changed my rear pads and the old pads had these white plastic pieces about 1/8” thick. I’ve never seen these on any other bike, and don’t seem them in the service manual either. Are they necessary or garbage? I can’t really test ride my bike because it’s winter here but it is parked in an underground parking space and I rode the bike about 20 feet and back and the back brake didn’t seem to do anything, pushing hard wouldn’t even come close to locking up the rear or kicking in the abs just felt like it was getting about 10% braking ability. At first I just figured I need to bed the pads in, maybe I got something on the rotor, a bit of lube or so,e thing that needed to wear off, but then I started wondering about these white spacer things. Anybody have an idea what they are and if I should put them back?

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have specified it’s a 2013 bike. I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos too of people changing their rear pads on this model but never saw anything like these 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
9,625 Posts
those come stock on tons and tons of bikes

Are they necessary.......... no

Why did all the oems waste money on them.............. speculation but I would bet it was noise related

too many customer complaints on brake noise and this would stop some of that..............for likely .... sub $0.02 per bike

that said I nearly always put them back in, sans trackday riders and racebikes......... but I did take them out of every personal bike I have owned that came with them

I do not mind the whoosh of the pads on the rotors..........

· Registered
9,625 Posts
As far as your poor braking performance.......... most likely you just need to bed in the pads properly which you sure can't do in your parking garage or in 30 seconds of riding it.....

but depending on what pads you installed, how well you cleaned the rotor etc........... some methods and some pads just work better than other

NO CHINESEUM trash!!!

· Registered
2,254 Posts
Still on my original rear pads with 60,000km on the clock. LOL.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as your poor braking performance.......... most likely you just need to bed in the pads properly which you sure can't do in your parking garage or in 30 seconds of riding it.....

but depending on what pads you installed, how well you cleaned the rotor etc........... some methods and some pads just work better than other

NO CHINESEUM trash!!!
I put Carbone Lorraine pads, never used them before but they seem to have a good reputation. The page that I attached the screenshot from said that the metal backing plates will touch the rotors when the pads wear too far and the plastic shims stop that from happening.

These pads had 20,000 km and they didn't need to be changed but I had everything apart to clean and lube and the fronts needed to be done so I figured why not. I had contemplated just removing the rear braking system anyways but figured I should leave it just in case.

· Registered
9,625 Posts
Still on my original rear pads with 60,000km on the clock. LOL.
exactly, my 256,000 mile ninja 600 still its original brake pads that looked untouched

my 110,000 mile zzr still has its original rear pads with over .155" pad left (they start life at .160" -.170")

Reactions: Sanctuary

· Registered
9,625 Posts
I put Carbone Lorraine pads, never used them before but they seem to have a good reputation. The page that I attached the screenshot from said that the metal backing plates will touch the rotors when the pads wear too far and the plastic shims stop that from happening.

These pads had 20,000 km and they didn't need to be changed but I had everything apart to clean and lube and the fronts needed to be done so I figured why not. I had contemplated just removing the rear braking system anyways but figured I should leave it just in case.
How can a foam/plastic spacer behind the brake pad keep the backing plate from hitting the rotor when the pad wears out
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Oh you mean the wear sensors/heat dissipators......... sure maybe, but who cares- if the pads wear that far down then one should be punished for not being observant enough to replace them.......

those metal clip on plates clip to the brake pad backing plate.so there would be what less than 1 mm pad left by the time they met the rotor....... yep by then they are garbage and should have been thrown away and replaced, the final .050" wears out extremely fast..measured in number of stops at that point

Reactions: Scumbag

· Registered
2004-20-23 636
387 Posts
those come stock on tons and tons of bikes

Are they necessary.......... no

Why did all the oems waste money on them.............. speculation but I would bet it was noise related

too many customer complaints on brake noise and this would stop some of that..............for likely .... sub $0.02 per bike

that said I nearly always put them back in, sans trackday riders and racebikes......... but I did take them out of every personal bike I have owned that came with them

I do not mind the whoosh of the pads on the rotors..........
Yep. Stock stuff. If customers bike has them I replace them. If it’s my bike and they have them I chunk them. I read in one of the tech manuals along time ago it’s for anti rattle so your spot on there.

first time I seen this was about 20 years ago on a gullwing. Confused the shit out of me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts