Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 ZX6 is second hand, and since I bought it last year, I have found a bunch of stuff that was done incorrectly by the previous owner. The most common error I find while working on the bike is over tightened bolts or even stripped threads. Needless to say, its annoying and becoming all too common.

So the other day I went to pull the front brake pad pins and install a new set of Vesrah pads...the pins will not budge. Cranked on them for a bit to no avail. Pulled out the torch and heated the head of the bolt, still wont crack loose.

I stopped for the time being rather than get angry, but I am considering not even addressing this again and just buying a used set of 07+ Nissin calipers. The only issue with that is that my new pads wont work AND my current Galfer lines will be a bit long which will bother me.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get these things out? Should I order a new set of pins and just bash a removal bit into them and use that?

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
My 2006 ZX6 is second hand, and since I bought it last year, I have found a bunch of stuff that was done incorrectly by the previous owner. The most common error I find while working on the bike is over tightened bolts or even stripped threads. Needless to say, its annoying and becoming all too common.

So the other day I went to pull the front brake pad pins and install a new set of Vesrah pads...the pins will not budge. Cranked on them for a bit to no avail. Pulled out the torch and heated the head of the bolt, still wont crack loose.

I stopped for the time being rather than get angry, but I am considering not even addressing this again and just buying a used set of 07+ Nissin calipers. The only issue with that is that my new pads wont work AND my current Galfer lines will be a bit long which will bother me.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get these things out? Should I order a new set of pins and just bash a removal bit into them and use that?
Got to pull the key pin out first, then the pin your trying to remove will just slide out.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got to pull the key pin out first, then the pin your trying to remove will just slide out.
Pad pins have threading on the head side...not sure what "key pin" you are referring to. I also checked the back of the pad pin to see if there was a cotter pin or some other type of safety lock and didnt see anything.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Pad pins have threading on the head side...not sure what "key pin" you are referring to. I also checked the back of the pad pin to see if there was a cotter pin or some other type of safety lock and didnt see anything.
Thats the pin I'm onto, Surly theres one in there.???:hmm::hmm:

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
No, no safety pin on the brake pad pin bolts on my bike. See diagram below.

They are just straight through pins and I cant seem to break them loose even with heat. Any ideas? Will my idea of punching in a removal bit work?
That is the caliper disassembly diagram, The little cotter pin will not be in that picture.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the caliper disassembly diagram, The little cotter pin will not be in that picture.
You sure about that??

I will check tonight for good measure but I am almos positive I didnt see a pin back there. In fact, the end of the pin just barely pokes through the inside of the caliper. Only a tiny piece sticks through.

And even if there was a pin, surely there is some room for that brake pad pin bolt to turn before the pin hits the surface of the caliper. It didnt budge even a millimeter.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Well it should turn freely, Is this the 206 636?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it should turn freely, Is this the 2006 636?
Yes sir.

As I stated in my original post, the previous owner appears to have cranked the shit out of almost all the bolts on the bike with absolutely no attention to torque specs. I assume this is just another case of his negligence.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Well I've just been looking at another parts fetch of that bike,
& the pins are in the diagram part # 92043-1709.

Looks like I may have been wrong, do the pins have an allen head?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Are the calipers off the bike? If so, put them back on and then try to crack them loose. Use a big breaker bar and slowly turn it until it cracks loose. They shouldnt be on tht tight. think it was like 20 something ft lbs. Try that and see if it works to get it free.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I've just been looking at another parts fetch of that bike,
& the pins are in the diagram part # 92043-1709.

Looks like I may have been wrong, do the pins have an allen head?
Yea, pretty sure there are no pins with my setup. And yes, the pad pins are allen head.

Are the calipers off the bike? If so, put them back on and then try to crack them loose. Use a big breaker bar and slowly turn it until it cracks loose. They shouldnt be on tht tight. think it was like 20 something ft lbs. Try that and see if it works to get it free.
Calipers are on the bike. Always gotta leave them on so as to get more leverage. I already used a short section of pipe on the allen key to get more torque on the bolt and it still didnt move. In fact, the bolt head started to warp a bit and I'm worried that if I go any harder it will strip.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Yea, pretty sure there are no pins with my setup. And yes, the pad pins are allen head.

Calipers are on the bike. Always gotta leave them on so as to get more leverage. I already used a short section of pipe on the allen key to get more torque on the bolt and it still didnt move. In fact, the bolt head started to warp a bit and I'm worried that if I go any harder it will strip.
Don't want to strip it, Try some PB or WD-40 etc etc overnight.

Sounds like someone used red locktite on em.:hmm:

·
Registered
224 Posts
If it's a philips head it is just a cover. The best way I found to get one out that's stuck is a stubby with a vice grip.

·
Registered
165 Posts
+1 on the PB and gentle use of an impact gun if you have one. Other than that if you can safely put the heat on the portion of the caliper around the pin it may work better than heating the pin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello
To add to the thoughts, are you sure yu have stock calipers?
I have a 2006 Zx-6r and recently redid front pads. I had to remove a little cotter pin to remove the pad slide pin. The cotter pin was on the inside area of the caliper and was easily visable. The pad slide pin was tight due to anti-squeal springs but came right out with priers and depressing the pads.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pretty certain my calipers are stock.

I will have a closer look tonight to ensure there are no cotter pins anywhere on the assembly, but I am pretty sure there arent.

Heat to the caliper itself may work, but there is a good chance it will ruin the gold paint and potentially more. I definitely have my reservations about taking heat directly to the caliper itself.

An impact gun is not a bad idea and probably would work if used in conjunction with a little heat. I dont have one, but I have a buddy who does. That could be a last case resort if all else fails.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Hello
To add to the thoughts, are you sure yu have stock calipers?
I have a 2006 Zx-6r and recently redid front pads. I had to remove a little cotter pin to remove the pad slide pin. The cotter pin was on the inside area of the caliper and was easily visable. The pad slide pin was tight due to anti-squeal springs but came right out with priers and depressing the pads.
Never done the brakes on an 06, But your describing my thoughts exactly.:yes

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Pretty certain my calipers are stock.

I will have a closer look tonight to ensure there are no cotter pins anywhere on the assembly, but I am pretty sure there arent.

Heat to the caliper itself may work, but there is a good chance it will ruin the gold paint and potentially more. I definitely have my reservations about taking heat directly to the caliper itself.

An impact gun is not a bad idea and probably would work if used in conjunction with a little heat. I dont have one, but I have a buddy who does. That could be a last case resort if all else fails.
Heat to the caliper would be my last resort.

Reactions: Ebster1085
1 - 20 of 25 Posts