Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to do my brake maintenance on my bike in the next couple of days, but was wondering if anyone ever used Pennzoil brake fluid before. The brake fluid is DOT 4, so i'm assuming it wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
As long as it is new and Dot 4, you are correct

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If youre going to flush your brake fluid, use some quality fluid, IMHO. I suggest Motul RBF600.

Reactions: AlexZX6R

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Also don't use any opened brake fluid containers that may have been sitting around.
Throw that shit out and start fresh.
Werd. I usually keep my RBF in a ziplock too, just to be sure.

Reactions: AlexZX6R

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
I'm going to do my brake maintenance on my bike in the next couple of days, but was wondering if anyone ever used Pennzoil brake fluid before. The brake fluid is DOT 4, so i'm assuming it wouldn't be a problem.
Thats what I use. Seems good enough to me.

Reactions: Blazino

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses. I'm very limited on the selection thats available to me. It's either the pennzoil for about $4.50 from base, or the local Italian moto shop and pay about 10 euro($13.80).

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
If youre going to flush your brake fluid, use some quality fluid, IMHO. I suggest Motul RBF600.
You know that RBF600 is racing fluid, & meant to be changed out two three times a year.
Read that somewhere.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I'm very limited on the selection thats available to me. It's either the pennzoil for about $4.50 from base, or the local Italian moto shop and pay about 10 euro($13.80).
get the Pennzoil.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You know that RBF600 is racing fluid, & meant to be changed out two three times a year.
Read that somewhere.
yes, I know, but it can go as long as a year depending on use. Brake fluid, even for street, should be flushed a couple times per year. I bet the manual even suggests that.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
yes, I know, but it can go as long as a year depending on use. Brake fluid, even for street, should be flushed a couple times per year. I bet the manual even suggests that.
I was surprised.... Kawasaki calls it out as a 2 year interval. At least on my '09.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I was surprised.... Kawasaki calls it out as a 2 year interval. At least on my '09.
Wow, horrible advice IMO. I wouldnt let it go past a year....

Reactions: jerryg951

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I also clean my calipers and caliper pistons fairly regularly too... the Kawi ones dont seem to be as bad as the ones on my Yamaha used to be, but still, clean calipers and pistons make a difference.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
Wow, horrible advice IMO. I wouldnt let it go past a year....
I change the brake fluid annually.... the rear fluid gets dirty much more quickly than the front. I don't know why that is. I never (99% front brakes, anyway) use that brake.

·
Registered
432 Posts
the best brake fluid you can put in are bikes is Ford Motorcraft Dot 3.

if you want more of an explanation keep reading….

you either want dot 3 or 4. what is the difference? a lot of things, but the main thing is the MINIMUM boiling point of the brake fluid. you want that number high. dot 4 has a higher MINIMUM boiling point then dot 3. brake fluid absorbs water, water has a low boiling point. so after ur brake fluid is a couple years old or you leave the cap off and water is absorbed into the brake fluid through the air the boiling point goes down. so brake fluid has two boiling points, one with new fluid and one with water added. now ur thinking why would i want motor craft dot 3 when a dot 4 has a higher boiling point? because thats just the minimum boiling point, motor craft dot 3 far exceeds any dot 3 and dot 4 I’ve seen. motor craft dot 3 is a good price at about $10 a bottle and the ford dealership always has it in stock. sure there might be a better dot 4 out there, but i haven’t seen it at the local parts store in the same price range. so bang for the buck its the best and it has all the boiling point you need and more.
so remember, dot 3 or 4
check both minimum boiling points, dry and wet.
don’t use brake fluid from a already open bottle because the brake fluid has now absorbed water and has a lower boiling point and can corrode the lines. if you don’t believe me that brake fluid absorbs water, go ahead and fill a glass to the rim with new brake fluid, when you go back the next day it will have spilled over the glass because the brake fluid absorbed water from the air.
with all honesty i don’t know how bad you need to worry about getting the best brake fluid in ur bike as long as you aren’t on the track or running through the cannons, but i like to put the best in my bike especially if it won’t cost me much more. just something to think about.
sorry about the spelling and grammar, did this on my phone before class.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Over the past few years I've done the front every two years & the rear 2-3 times a year.
Why the rear so much you ask?
Simple, I've changed the line & or the res so many times I've lost count, plus I'v'e had the master off a couple times too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts