Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking to bleed my brakes not sure whats a good brand for my bike to use as a replacement fluids .
Its an 04 636 and this will be my first time doing this since I purchased it.
Brakes seem very squishy. I notice that on cold starts my brakes seem very stiff and gab good but once my bike gets hot the lever range changes and it feels like I have to squeeze harder just to slow down. I have steel brake lines that the previous owner installed about 1 year ago. Not sure what the problem is or do all bikes do this when they get hot? So I'm assuming the fluids need to be change? I just changed the pads a couple of weeks ago and thought I fixed the problem but it came back to what it was doing before. So any help would be nice :)
what brands do you use? Any recommendations? what should I stay away from?

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Yup...any DOT4 fluid should work.

As for the squishiness, it could be a bad master cylinder or air in your brake lines.

Replace the brake fluid and bleed the air out of the lines. If the problem is still there, then you need to replace the internals in your master cylinder. It aint that bad...they sell kits for it. Like 30 bucks.

Theres no fluid leaking from anywhere, right?

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
Your first clue should be the color of the brake fluid. When it is new, almost all brands are nearly perfectly clear.

If you can see discoloration in the fluid, it has absorbed water from the air. The darker the fluid, the more contaminated it is.

Water is bad, because it boils and turns to steam at a much lower temperature compared to brake fluid. The steam is a gas, so it can compress..... If there is enough water present, when it boils it can expand in the lines, and lock up the brakes.

If the water remains in the system long enough, it will migrate to the lowest point of the system and form droplets. The metal the water is in contact with will corrode, and the pitting can cause the seals to leak, and eventually fail.

Happens constantly, and it cannot be stopped. The only thing you can do is replace it on a regular schedule.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Just further this....

Any Dot 4 brake fluid is better than old dot ... fluid as long as it is new in a sealed container.
brake fluid is far too inexpensive to use fluid from a bottle that has been opened and left on the shelf for months

But there are Dot 4 fluids that have higher boiling points than other dot 4 fluids!, sometimes it pays to pay a little more

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys this helps a lot
its not leaking or anything but there is some discoloring so ill be sure to bleed them brakes
thanks again :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts