Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im fairly new to the forum and riding... i have an 07 zx6r and just got some levers for her...

the install seemed pretty simple but ran into some issues..
1. the screw and bolt seem pretty corroded which is a pretty big issue making me think about just taking it to a mechanic to do it
2. not easy accesability for the brake lever underneath to hold the bolt in..

has anyone changed their own levers and run into these issues?

should i just bring it in or give it another run i was kinda rushed yesterday and didnt really spend time looking at it . was also thinkng instead of using socket wrench to use adjustabe wrench with teeth to grab the bolt but i still think im going to run into an issue with corroded screw that seems hard as hell to budge
any insight would be appreciated
thanks guys and gals

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
the install seemed pretty simple but ran into some issues..
1. the screw and bolt seem pretty corroded which is a pretty big issue making me think about just taking it to a mechanic to do it
2. not easy accesability for the brake lever underneath to hold the bolt in..
Get some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil on that bolt and I am sure it will come out. You could also use some heat it all else fails, but just be careful as there are plastic components in that area that could melt.

If you are having trouble getting to that bolt/nut, just loose the two allen bolts holding the lever to the clip on so you can rotate it to get a better angle at it.

Dont bring the bike into a mechanic. This is a simple job. Save the money and do it yourself. You will be happy you did when its all done.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
It's juts a 10mm. You can fit a socket down there. I would suggest you remove the lights and blinker assembly to slide the lever out. It will make it a lot easier to install the new lever also.

On the clutch side there's a oem bushing that you will mostlikely have to re use, make sure you don't loose it. Also remember to grease the parts of the levers that contact other metal parts.

One more thing make sure that your brake purge thing lines up with that little hole inside the brake lever. Sometimes that little bastard rotates so you'll have to keep rotatin it till you see it.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
you can improve accessibility by loosening the whole assembly with the alan screws on the rear of the bars (right by where your thumb controls are) allowing you to swivel the lever assemblies up to get better clearance underneath

·
Registered
517 Posts
yea dude, its easy. move things around to get better access. and be careful, like Hitman said, about the little brake purge thingy...i never knew what it was called LOL i feel like a lot of people who have brake problems after lever installs dont make sure that everything is lined up correctly. take your time and do it right! youll be fine ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts