Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,i know you guys all seem to have newer bikes but i ve got a 2001 zx6 and am looking for some advice,i've been scared more than a couple of times when hitting a corner hard with a bump halfway through and bouncing along heading for a hedge,when dicussing this with my mate he suggested having a go on his gsxr with a steering damper as standard,much to my annoyance the scaryness went away and i had to admit defeat to the suzuki,i was just wondering what the best aftermarket damper would be taking into account price vs quality !!! Very much appreciate your help cheers

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
This is another biased opinion thing. Everyone will tell you to buy the steering damper they own unless there are a few here that have owned many. I've got a Hyperpro personally and I love it, can't fault it at all. You can either go for the stroke damper or the top mount, both work just as well it's just a looks thing. Other brands I've heard good things about are GPR and Ohlins.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
It could be front end set-up too.

bouncing along heading for a hedge
That doesn't give much information :dunno

A steering damper will stop left and right bar wiggle. Headshake, and if bad enough a tank slapper (but chances are if you have a real slapper you'll have broken wrists or be writing from a hospital)

If it's behaving like a pogo stick (i.e. bouncing - the word you used) it's front end set-up and a damper is not going to fix it.

Have you checked your sag?

Are the springs the right rate for you? (Easy to find out when you try and set your sag)? Have you played with the pre-load?

What about the damping? Have you adjusted that? You could try putting everything back to standard settings see how it feels and work from there.

2001 model, it could probably do with new fork oil too and have the level re-set. It wont be anywhere near as good as it should be.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It could be front end set-up too.

A steering damper will stop left and right bar wiggle. Headshake, and if bad enough a tank slapper.
If it's behaving like a pogo stick (i.e. bouncing - the word you used) it's front end set-up and a damper is not going to fix it.
I agree with Steve. It could be that your shocks are a bit tired. I think what you're experiencing is that the front shocks are too loaded going into a corner and release mid corner, creating an upward momentum with loss of traction, causing you to be 'heading for the hedgerow'. Till the matter is solved, would suggest no heavy breaking, down-shifting before corner.

Let us know how you solve the issue.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts