Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am new to this forum. I acquired a 2006 ZX6R with 5k miles on it from a guy who dropped it in his driveway. I wanted to custom paint whatever I bought anyway so I didn't see the scuffs as an issue.

From the drop though it appears a bolt located under the top portion of the triple tree broke or came off because the silver part of the metal cracked. I am attaching pics to better explain the location of the bolt and broken piece of metal.

The bolt does not appear to greatly effect the steering. The bolt does however serve as a 'stopper' on the opposing side, so without the bolt the handlebar can hit the tank if cut sharply. When doing this the starter button hit the tank.

I want to fix this issue. The suspension guy that recharged my shock said I can still ride the bike because it's not going to effect performance, but I should look to fix it down the line as my hands can get jammed in there pretty good taking a turn.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to post pics some where else on this forum of my custom paint job. I am learning how to paint over the course of three week. It's gonna look awesome.

Kelly
Female Rider
Delaware

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hmm, thats different, on my bike that bolt does not work as a steering stop, all it does is line up the clip ons. and once the clip ons are locked down they are not going to move regardless of that bolt (on mine anyway).

But if the bolt hold is damaged from the bottom of te triple tree then I would just find a used triple tree being as yu were going to paint it anyway.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Yeah, didn't think that was the steering stop. I thought that was on the lower triple. You can maybe find a used upper and swap it over. If it's just the locater for the clip on then I might just ignore it. As long as the clip on is clamped on securely they won't move under normal use.

·
Registered
827 Posts
just a bolt to lineup the clipon, there was a guy earlier who posted about removing his and adjusting the clipons to they were more friendly for his riding position

·
Registered
485 Posts
just a bolt to lineup the clipon, there was a guy earlier who posted about removing his and adjusting the clipons to they were more friendly for his riding position
And when I added my Apex adjustable clipons these holes were no longer used at all.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yeah i agree with above posts. That bolt has nothing to do with the steering stop.
There is 2 tabs about 1/2- 3/4 inch long that is part of the lower clamp. Whenever you turn the handle bars all the way to the left or right those tabs go up against a small portion of the frame.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I will continue riding. I guess I have to adjust the position of the right tab so the bars don't hit the wheel. Can someone post a pic of the location of the tabs?

·
Registered
906 Posts
You can't. They're made into the lower triple clamp. In other words, its all one piece.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks everyone! I will continue riding. I guess I have to adjust the position of the right tab so the bars don't hit the wheel. Can someone post a pic of the location of the tabs?
So the bars dont hit the wheel?? Which wheel? the front wheel? you kind of lost me there, I thought the issue was the bars hitting the tank?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think when the bike fell over, or whatever. and that bolt broke, your clip on got knock out of adjustment. Just loosen the bolt where it clamps around your front fork, and adjust it back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, my bad the bar is hitting the tank. I will try adjusting the clamp ^ per your previous advice. thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts