Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

"Blinged" out helmet

7K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  2JZX6R 
#1 ·

Hello, just wondering what everyone's opinion is about the blinged out helmets i keep seeing. They are all done up with Swarovski crystals.
I'm not a super girly girl, but i will admit that somewhere deep down under all my tomboyish tendencies, this appeals to me in a way. Don't know if i would ever rock it (never the bow ones) but some of the ones I've seen are kinda badass.

Opinions?

*none of these photos are mine, just random ones i found online

See less See more
#2 ·
I would be more concerned with having a quality helmet protecting me. It is after all a protection device. Too many people get wrapped up in fashion statements and I do not think it is the best decision in this case.

With that said it is your helmet, your head, your decision. Whatever floats your boat :bigthumb:

#4 ·
Definitely safety first, i agree. It does seem really over the top LOOK AT ME!
Screams squid IMO! Idk why but that helmet makes it hard to believe either of those women really bang out on them shits at all.. You seem like you are gunna ride the f*@k outta the thing and even track it, doesn't seem to fit your style but then again don't really know you! They are decently impressive as far as artwork though..
I agree, it makes me think poser and that they can't be taken seriously. It isn't my particular style, too showy

#3 ·
Screams squid IMO! Idk why but that helmet makes it hard to believe either of those women really bang out on them shits at all.. You seem like you are gunna ride the f*@k outta the thing and even track it, doesn't seem to fit your style but then again don't really know you! They are decently impressive as far as artwork though..

#7 ·
For me, the concern is aerodynamics, particularly wind noise. Your helmet is designed to be as quiet as possible. Sticking on gems is going to catch the wind and make it much noisier.

That being said, skip the spikes, and do a pattern up front, or a starburst something in the back, and that could be cool.

#9 ·
I can say from a safety perspective the spikes are a terrible idea. The whole purpose of the shell is to deform and spread the force of the impact over a larger area. The spikes are going to concentrate the force of the impact into a very small area. There is a very high likelihood that the will start a crack in the shell right there. If it doesn't punch a hole right thru the shell. This is all bad in an accident scenario to have your helmet shell crack.

Actually spikes anywhere on or around a bike or your gear are just a horrible idea. Nothing good can come of them in an accident and some really terribly bad things are possible.

Just the crystals I don't see much of an issue as long as the adhesive doesn't damage the shell. I think that's mostly personal taste. I mean you see people riding Hello Kitty and My Little Pony themed bikes around so whatever you happen to like is ok with me.

#10 ·
I never really considered the safety, aerodynamic, and wind noise angles. REALLY good points.
I’m not a big fan of the Spikes, though it does certainly add to the overall effect. I can just imagine how visible you would be on the road with all the crystals and how only a blind, idiot would miss you. I want to be in sight of other drivers as well as be heard.
I can say from a safety perspective the spikes are a terrible idea …
My fear would be my girl going down and one of those spikes or stones breaking off and getting embedded in her skin someway.....
For me, the concern is aerodynamics, particularly wind noise. Your helmet is designed to be as quiet as possible. Sticking on gems is going to catch the wind and make it much noisier.

That being said, skip the spikes, and do a pattern up front, or a starburst something in the back, and that could be cool.

#13 ·
Looks like the female version of the helmet fins but hey, to each their own.

As long as:

1) it is a quality, safe helmet underneath
2) the bling does not impact the integrity of the lid
3) those spikes couldn't find some way to poke through the shell and into your brain if you do crash in the thing

I would say it would be fine given the above conditions.

#15 ·
Well, it's on a Scorpion helmet... so there's that.

With that said: in sunlight, I'm sure it will increase visibility, and as a bonus you could walk into any room and turn that shit into a disco.

un tiss un tiss un tiss un tiss

#17 ·
I'm worried about that crystals and spikes all over.They just can't be safe in case of crash...

There are tons of shops doing quality airbrushing on helmets.You could make it bling all you want with girlish colours and metal flakes in it, while keeping it safe and quiet also.

The helmets in your pictures are only good as decoration in your living room with some nice lighting.

#20 ·
I dunno, seems to me like the last thing women need when riding is more attention called to themselves. It's gotta be hard enough just trying to ride as a women, developing trailing entourages of squids that follow you into your orbit for a shot at impressing the "chick on the bike" I honestly don't know if thats offensive, or sexist or whatever....Im not, I swear, but guys are stupid, and If I were a women, lower key the better...But hey, if you like it...rock the shit outta that bad bo....er... bad girl!

#23 ·
I see what you mean, I felt the same way about being judged but.. I got over it lol. I ride for my enjoyment and I could care less about what others think. It's kinda funny, some guy in a truck (Harley Davidson sticker in the back window) and he saw me and just shook his head. He then rolled down his window and yelled I thought you were a dude! Funny

I tried attaching my file, I blinged out a fully functional DOT helmet. I ride track and don't consider myself to be a "poser" . I've had no problems with aerodynamics or anything of the sort. If it's something you're interested in, do it!
Thanks so sharing! I love it! It's so sparkly!!

I went ahead and did it...I've had NO issues with aerodynamicy, noise, weight, nothing!! It's high visibility and I do get lots of looks and compliments. I LOVE IT.

#21 ·
Many years ago, I took a solid black helmet, and covered the whole thing in triangles of 3M reflective tape. random shapes, random sizes, in red, silver, blue, and green. I never saw the helmet from outside of it at night, so I can't tell you how much it lit up -- I hope it burned some retinas. :)

I did that in such a way that anyone who saw the helmet would know which way I was looking. Contrasting colors so you could tell when I wasn't looking straight ahead.

Flat adhesive tape shouldn't affect the performance of the shell in the event of an accident. Anything that might catch and cause twisting, or possibly puncture the shell = Bad Idea.

#24 ·
More power to you. Everything about riding is a highly personal decision..... own it. I guess my only concern in the long term would be how do you clean that thing? It's probably not as much of a concern out West..... here on the East coast, you'd have a layer of bugs embedded in that within a week or two. I'm guessing you can't apply much pressure to scrub it off or you'd knock off the bling.

#26 ·

Opinions?

*none of these photos are mine, just random ones i found online
It wouldn't be the helmet that I'd be looking at above - what a bod... :)

Plus talk of riding "low key" being a female, whose likely to attract attention as a female biker. There certainly isn't that mentality over here (UK), infact 99% of bikers are covered up, head to toe in leather or "textile" gear (winter OR summer), so you'd hardly tell it was a female riding a bike anyway - you'd never have a girl dressed like the above here.

The helmet thing, well it would be her choice - certainly attention seeking, garish comes to mind.
Plus from a safety perspective, she wont be appreciating her custom helmet, sliding down the tarmac with all those "jewels" getting crushed up and entering her face, eyes, mouth, etc!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.