Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am on a 3 lane freeway doing 70 MPH on my 2007 ZX-6R with cars all around me.

All of a sudden out of nowhere I hear a horrible metal slapping sound and at the same instant the bike locks causing my head to whip violently. My neck popped so hard from the whipping I not only felt it I heard it. Now it’s jacked.

I struggled to get the bike pulled over as the cars around me are skidding, honking and swerving to avoid me.

It appears the motor blew and it looks and sounds like the top end issue we are hearing so much about but the dealers claim does not exist.

All this even after I previously had the dealer check it out and was told there is no tech bulletin, no recall so there is no top end valve issue and kawi’s are known to be loud.

I am having it towed to the one and only good Kawi dealer. Plus the service manager is outstanding and he just so happens to run a 20007 ZX-6R on the track and he rips.

The shitty part is the bike only had 700 miles on it and was not even beat on and was very well maintained.

I will post up how things play out. I decided to retain a Lemon Law & personal injury Lawyer to help me out as this is completely unacceptable and someone is going to get hurt.

Those of you with 07’s please be very careful out there as I came very close to loosing it and getting run over. If not for my quick pulling of the clutch lever and the guy behind me swerving hard I am not sure I would be posting this.

The sick part is a simple tech bulletin would have prevented this from occurring.

·
Registered
764 Posts
all these top end stories make me nervious. glad i got the extended warranty

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
yeah man. glad to hear you are okay

is there anything that we can do about this?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Definately keep us posted on the issue, I own the same bike so I'd like to see how this pans out for ya. Most important thing is that you're okay. Good luck getting things worked out.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Wow. Good to know you're okay though. Kawasaki hasn't always been known for their good engines and they're usually bitches about warranty's concerning this kind of matter.

·
Registered
503 Posts
hard luck mate.
Kawasaki might have some questions to answer soon it appears......

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
holy crap! glad to hear you're ok! sucks about the bike :thumbdown In my experience getting things covered by warranty usually depends on the dealer you go to...if you have a good relationship they'll take care of you. If they don't, get a hold of the regional manager for Kawi. They deal directly with the dealers in their area, and will basically tell them how its gonna be (they have a slightly better understanding of how customer relations work, what bad PR can do, and have heard of the internet :coocoo).

good luck, and for sure keep us posted :thumbup

-:banana

ps. is it wrong if i say this: :worthless
:rotfl

·
Registered
112 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. Shit.. I'm even more nervous than I was because as you know I have that bike also and i'm just learning how to ride. I don't know if i would have been able to get myself out of that one. I've only put about 150 miles on it so far which I think is pretty good seeing as that I got it less than a week ago.

Keep us all up to date so I can know if I should be contacting Kawasaki also about this problem.

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
wow. glad you're alright..way to not go down. i'd be letting kawasaki hear about this and what could have happened to you if you hadn't had the reflexes you did, due to their (seemingly) neglect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad you're okay! I hope its not worse for the next guy cause it sounds like you got lucky! Sounds like kawi has some explainin to do.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Man, thats a true horror story. I also have a 07 6R (first ever bike), and I have about 1500 miles on mine now. Havn't noticed any odd noises or anything yet, but this definitely gives me something to think about! Glad your ok man.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i have an 07 ZX6R with 1500 miles too.

no weird noises yet, just that leak (probably from the drop)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well that surely sucks ass. Good job on having the presence of mind to keep it upright..

This is the 3rd 07 6R I've heard about blowing up for no apparent reason(the other 2 were brand spankin' new race bikes)...please keep us posted...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts