Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellas,

Well, I finished the block off plates and it worked like a charm in the fact that the popping/backfiring stopped. The bike ran for about 3 mins and then just stalled and dies (temp gets to 140). Waited 5 mins and then tried to start it up again and it ran for about 1 min and then it shuts off. Please take a look at the video below to see what it is and I appreciate any feedback. Again, patience with this young grasshopper is much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd4DqRGfpOU

(Take out the space between each "w", before the "y" and after the "="
w w w. youtube. com/watch?v= Dd4DqRGfpOU

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Did you plug the air box hole or whatever it is that needs to be plugged when you install block offs.

Did you run the battery down, accidentally leave the key on?

Idle need adjustment?

Do you have stock exhaust? Maybe servo motor isn't working correctly?

Check your gas tank connections. I actually put the wrong lines into my gas tank on my triumph and had a similar issue.

Just throwing some things out there. That's actually weird it's dieing after a few minutes. Does it die when you pull back on throttle? Is it sharp or does it sputter?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you plug the air box hole or whatever it is that needs to be plugged when you install block offs.

Did you run the battery down, accidentally leave the key on?

Idle need adjustment?

Do you have stock exhaust? Maybe servo motor isn't working correctly?

Check your gas tank connections. I actually put the wrong lines into my gas tank on my triumph and had a similar issue.

Just throwing some things out there. That's actually weird it's dieing after a few minutes. Does it die when you pull back on throttle? Is it sharp or does it sputter?
I believe everything is reconnected and yes I did block off the hole.

Battery was taken out two days ago and charged fully.

I didn't take the gas tank off, just propped it up so I never disconnected eithe of the fuel lines.

As the video shows, it starts and idles around 1.6 and then Boggs down and dies

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
You might have kinked one of the vent lines for the fuel tank when you propped it up and set it back down. Look under the bike around where the footpegs are, and take ahold of the two rubber drain lines you'll see. Tug gently on them, to see if they will come a little lower.

If they do, then you have a good chance of having sorted out your issue.

Either way, start the bike and let it run for a little bit. If it shuts off like it has been doing, open the gas cap and see if it makes a whoosing sound.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks RJ, will check the fuel lines when I get home

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bike was fine until I messed with the air box so I doubt it's the ecu

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what I did wrong. The bike starts up, idles for a bit and then dies. I restart it, it starts and if I pull the throttle, it dies. Any potential solutions, I will try. Planning on propping the tank up and checking every line and hose. Man, it was running fine too

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you leave the reeds in when you put the plates on or did you take them out? I left them in as there was no other gasket and I did not want to leave it metal on metal.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Did you leave the reeds in when you put the plates on or did you take them out? I left them in as there was no other gasket and I did not want to leave it metal on metal.
Left the reeds in, blocked them off with driven plates. That's the only thing I did to it and stuck a 3/8" vacuum cap on the bottom of the airbox where the previous hose was attached to it.

Again, it starts up, idles for a minute or two, then dies. If I restart it, it barely starts up, if I rev, it dies immediately. Man it sounds like complex problem but I'm sure it's not. I will recheck everything. Don't know what's going on. Could it be an air leak or something?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 05 is doing something very similar except that it will rev for a minute or two. After that, it dies. And then when you restart it, if you give it any throttle input at all, it dies. So if you figure out what's wrong PLEASE post your solution. I'll do the same in my thread (it's the one titled "installed new fuel pump, now bike won't start). I posted a video yesterday in my thread in case you want to check it out..

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My 05 is doing something very similar except that it will rev for a minute or two. After that, it dies. And then when you restart it, if you give it any throttle input at all, it dies. So if you figure out what's wrong PLEASE post your solution. I'll do the same in my thread (it's the one titled "installed new fuel pump, now bike won't start). I posted a video yesterday in my thread in case you want to check it out..
If I wait like 10 mins and then start it again, it will idle and rev a bit before dying. Will do and if you find a solution let me know

·
Registered
161 Posts
Due to how it dies it sounds like fuel issue to me. As others have said, have you checked all the hoses?

Did you take off the main fuel line at any point? Maybe one of the high pressure clips got damaged and isnt fully connecting and it isn't keeping up with the flow?

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
What have you done so far? Have you tried any of the tips people have given yet?

My first step would be to see if adjusting the idle will help.

I would also pull everything back off and double check no connections or hoses were forgotten about.

Keep us in the loop on what you've tried and everything (help us help you).

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Due to how it dies it sounds like fuel issue to me. As others have said, have you checked all the hoses?

Did you take off the main fuel line at any point? Maybe one of the high pressure clips got damaged and isnt fully connecting and it isn't keeping up with the flow?
New to bikes but I did not disconnect any of the lines that connected to the bottom outside of that tank...is that the main fuel line? After work tomorrow, I will work on it again

·
Registered
161 Posts
The fuel line is the thicker black one under the tank with the red clips on each end.. They're are not cheap and I highly reccomend looking up the proper way to undo the clips and don't just stab at it..

But seems how you didn't take that off, that wouldn't be it.

What I would do, is unbolt the tank and lift it slightly, then fire up the bike. If that solves the issue
. I would say its either a pinched fuel line or vent line.

If it doesn't.. Then I would start looking at a potential air blockage somewhere.

Did every single hose get hooked back up properly minus the one that gets removed?

Running out of ideas. Lol.

Reactions: 2y4life

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The fuel line is the thicker black one under the tank with the red clips on each end.. They're are not cheap and I highly reccomend looking up the proper way to undo the clips and don't just stab at it..

But seems how you didn't take that off, that wouldn't be it.

What I would do, is unbolt the tank and lift it slightly, then fire up the bike. If that solves the issue
. I would say its either a pinched fuel line or vent line.

If it doesn't.. Then I would start looking at a potential air blockage somewhere.

Did every single hose get hooked back up properly minus the one that gets removed?

Running out of ideas. Lol.
I think I plugged everything back in that was unplugged. I will go through everything with a fine tooth comb and get back to you guys tomorrow afternoon.

Can I start the bike with the tank propped up? I want to try that. Thanks to all who have contributed and replied.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There shouldn't be an issue if its lifted a bit. Just don't tilt it on too weird of an angle. Might dump gas out the vents.

That said.. Look at all the stunters.. They have those things vertical and they run fine for a long time on one wheel :p

Wouldn't take much of a lift to take any pressure off a pinched line. Just half an inch or so should be enough

Reactions: 2y4life

·
Registered
137 Posts
just an idea but maybe take them plates off and put that back to stock and see if it runs fine like it did before? Or try and un hook your battery for a little bit and than hook it back up and see if it runs?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts