Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I recently acquired a 2001 zx6r J1. Initially the bike ran fine, I have put about 500 miles on it since I got it. One day, out of the blue, started the bike and the exhaust sounded really low pitched like a v twin. The bike ran but would not go over about 10,000 rpm's. All I know from the last owner is that it was used on the track at one time, has had a valve adjustment 3,000 miles ago, has been down but repaired, he hadn't done any work to the carbs, and it has an aftermarket exhaust. The day the bike started acting weird I did nothing out of the ordinary. I fueled up at my regular station, rode 60 miles on the highway, stopped for a half hour and then.. wtf? Has anybody had this issue? also any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Did it sit for a while before you got it? Is there any rust in the tank? Is it still running like poo or did it get better? Have you checked all the wiring connectors for the ignition components to make sure they are connected? I would pull the tank and first make sure that something didn't simply wiggle loose and that nothing is obviously broken. Also make sure that all the vacuum hoses are properly connected and that the plug boots are properly seated and connectors... well connected. Lots of times when something like this happens something has just plain wigled loose. When you get the air box off the check the plug wires pull them off and check them for continuity with a multimeter to make sure they are still good. Over time the wireing can pull itself apart inside the sheathing and break contact effectively dropping a cylinder. If they are good pull the plugs since your down there anyways and make sure there's no obvious signs of damage. If all looks good check your fuel filter and make sure it isn't clogged. Also make sure that the reserve switch is functional and fuel is in fact freely flowing from the tank. If at any point you find something obviously wrong like a wire not fully connected, spark boot not seated, or anything that's simple to fix and can explain your problem you can probably fix and put it back together and give it a try. But deffinately try the simple stuff before you go tinkering with the carbs or pulling parts etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts