Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Im new to forums and also a new rider and have never owned a bike until now. I recently purchased a 06 zx6r and have only ridden the bike a few times. Im having issues though for the last few days the bike tends to ride fine for the first 15-20 min i do let it warm up before i start to ride but after those 15-20 min the bike does not want to rev past 4k under load. When the bike is in N i can hit the throttle up to 15k if i wanted to. This issue started when i filled the tank up for the fist time after having it sit a month. I also purchased injector and fuel cleaner made by lucas and drove the bike for about an hour with a half tank but there was no change. Im getting kind of worried now please help. If there's anyone with any suggestions or with a fix please let me know

·
Registered
25 Posts
custom maps? exhaust/air filter change?

is it the same at all throttle positions/gears?
has the tps fallen off?(throttle position sensor)

if it was carbs i'd be checking the main jets/needle...

·
Registered
25 Posts
ahh it sat for a month, check the fuel filter, modern petrol is shite and goes off very quickly

might be worth emptying into a jerry can and refilling with a tank of clean juice then slowly part mixing in the old stuff

·
Registered
29 Posts
ahh it sat for a month, check the fuel filter, modern petrol is shite and goes off very quickly

might be worth emptying into a jerry can and refilling with a tank of clean juice then slowly part mixing in the old stuff
In my opinion its not worth mixing the old gas in... Especially if you see results from fresh gas. Its 4 gallons at most so its not too big of a loss. Just my
$00.02

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No the bike is stock... i tried opening the tank cap and it actually stopped bogging down. i dont know if this is the end of it but from what someone told me i need to clean the vent line for the tank.. does anyone know where it is??

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
If you remove the bolts and tilt the tank up you can unhook the vent line and blow it out with compressed air. Do not blow compressed air into the tank, that can cause a very hazardous condition.

does the symptom duplicate in all gears? and at all throttle positions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you remove the bolts and tilt the tank up you can unhook the vent line and blow it out with compressed air. Do not blow compressed air into the tank, that can cause a very hazardous condition.

does the symptom duplicate in all gears? and at all throttle positions?
what do you mean by duplicate on all gears. It happens on all the gears at same rpm. I checked the hole next to the tank opening its a small one and saw that it was completely filled with dirt or corrosion i took a toothpick to it and tried to clean it as much possible. I then took it out for a test ride and now i can rev up to 5k but still does the same thing. do you know where i can find a picture of the vent line?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a similar issue but my bike wont rev above 10k...didnt notice till i was on the track so started replacing componants like coil sticks....no change
swaped ECU with a friend...no change
bike has 40k and runs perfect in all gears been doing trackdays and pulls fast idles smooth. but at 10 even getting on the freeway..just just like burp and throws me forward

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got a similar problem 09 zx6r sat a while.no mods other than kn dropin filter.sat for a while drained tank ,replaced fuel pump and filter,cleaned lines and injectors.wont rev past 4k...i believe its the upper injectors either not firing or no fuel pressure as I can spray carb cleaner and it revs to redline.forgot to say replaced spark plus too.dont know what else to look for .throttle position sensor is there but don't know how to test it..totally lost since it was running fine before it sat for that time.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
I've got a similar problem 09 zx6r sat a while.no mods other than kn dropin filter.sat for a while drained tank ,replaced fuel pump and filter,cleaned lines and injectors.wont rev past 4k...i believe its the upper injectors either not firing or no fuel pressure as I can spray carb cleaner and it revs to redline.forgot to say replaced spark plus too.dont know what else to look for .throttle position sensor is there but don't know how to test it..totally lost since it was running fine before it sat for that time.

Is your air filter clean?

How good is the fuel pressure?

The upper injectors only kick on at 8K RPMs or higher. If u cant get past 4K RPM’s then its either your main injectors, fuel pump, or an air pressure sensor.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
what do you mean by duplicate on all gears. It happens on all the gears at same rpm. I checked the hole next to the tank opening its a small one and saw that it was completely filled with dirt or corrosion i took a toothpick to it and tried to clean it as much possible. I then took it out for a test ride and now i can rev up to 5k but still does the same thing. do you know where i can find a picture of the vent line?
blow compressed air through both those drain holes to blow the shit out the bottom of the hose
as far as the tank vent- tip the tank up!!! I see lots of idiots fold those in half when they lower the tank and then the tank can't vent (the hose runs between the front of the tank and the airbox and can easily get bent and kinked when installing if not paying attention)

then there was this bike........... some sort of bug built a nest in the bottom of the hose and plugged it.......

Attachments

Reactions: Scorpi0
1 - 12 of 12 Posts