Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. My 05' ZX6 was running at idle in my driveway, then just shut off by itself. It wont start back up. It sounds like its starving for fuel. I hot wired the fuel pump and i can hear it running when its hotwired, but it still wont start, I replaced the fuel pump relay for kicks, and still nothing. Battery and starter is good. Im confused. Any suggestions????????

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Brace yourself for everyone telling you the ECU probably fried :roll:

I don't actually know enough to help you out. I suppose it very well could be the ECU, but just be aware that almost everyone on this forum knows that the 05's have an ECU overheating problem, so there's always a thousand people who suggest that as the problem whether they actually know what they are talking about or not...it's always good fun

:popcorn:

Reactions: Scorpi0

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Usually if it's the ecu issue the bike will restart after it cools down. So I would rule out the ecu. Have you gone over the wiring harness to check for any melted or grounded wires?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you been messing with your idle at all? The idle adjust screw can sometimes come out pretty easily by accident if you loosen it too much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usually if it's the ecu issue the bike will restart after it cools down. So I would rule out the ecu. Have you gone over the wiring harness to check for any melted or grounded wires?
I checked all the wires. Everything is good. Bike has sat for 3 days since it cut off and it still won't start

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you been messing with your idle at all? The idle adjust screw can sometimes come out pretty easily by accident if you loosen it too much.
Haven't messed with it. The day it started was routine. I was warming it to Ryde for the day. No sooner than I started it and walked away, it shut off

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
Hello guys. My 05' ZX6 was running at idle in my driveway, then just shut off by itself. It wont start back up. It sounds like its starving for fuel. I hot wired the fuel pump and i can hear it running when its hotwired, but it still wont start, I replaced the fuel pump relay for kicks, and still nothing. Battery and starter is good. Im confused. Any suggestions????????
Gotta have the basic 3.....

Fuel, air, and spark. Air is the least likely of your problems, so it comes down to which of the other two is not present.

If you think it is starving for fuel, open the air box, and shoot in some starter fluid. If it starts, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't the odds are it's related to the spark.

The weird part is it was running and shut off. You've checked all the silly stuff, right? Kill switch, etc.?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotta have the basic 3.....

Fuel, air, and spark. Air is the least likely of your problems, so it comes down to which of the other two is not present.

If you think it is starving for fuel, open the air box, and shoot in some starter fluid. If it starts, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't the odds are it's related to the spark.

The weird part is it was running and shut off. You've checked all the silly stuff, right? Kill switch, etc.?
Yea, i checked all that. Really strange because bike was just sitting there. I was thinking maybe because i tried so many times to start it, i may have fouled the plugs out. Im gonna pull them and check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts