Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just picked up an '05 zx6r after a few years on an '05 sv650. Rode today and the bike ran great for about 70 miles, but then hit some traffic and the bike began to overheat. The fan came on and cooled it off. The temp began to jump again to around the 230s and the throttle got very choppy and I felt like I was running on 2-3 cylinders at times and then randomly while on the throttle the lost cylinders would jump in and it'd pick back up to normal. The bike also cut out after running at 230ish for a while, and wouldn't turn back on for a few minutes. I've researched several forums but can't seem to find anyone with this exact problem who found a solution for it. This week I'll be changing oil, plugs, air filter, coolant, and lubing the throttle cables. If none of those remedy the problem, what else could it be? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all, just picked up an '05 zx6r after a few years on an '05 sv650. Rode today and the bike ran great for about 70 miles, but then hit some traffic and the bike began to overheat. The fan came on and cooled it off. The temp began to jump again to around the 230s and the throttle got very choppy and I felt like I was running on 2-3 cylinders at times and then randomly while on the throttle the lost cylinders would jump in and it'd pick back up to normal. The bike also cut out after running at 230ish for a while, and wouldn't turn back on for a few minutes. I've researched several forums but can't seem to find anyone with this exact problem who found a solution for it. This week I'll be changing oil, plugs, air filter, coolant, and lubing the throttle cables. If none of those remedy the problem, what else could it be? Thanks in advance for any info.
I've been having the same issues, i'll be rewiring fan today to see if that will remedy the issue of overheating, possible clogged radiator? i dont know it's very frustrating as well, start with the small possibles and work your way into the big "oh shits" is what i was told... GL though..

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

You Just said ur self ur going to ( This week I'll be changing oil, plugs, air filter, coolant, and lubing the throttle cables ) so how in the world can we figure out whats wrong with ur bike ?? and ur bike needs all this stuff to be worked on ??? BUT I can give u a clue (( First i think u should fix it and then return it , and then get back on ur sv650 Because it is clear the ZX6R is not for you !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You Just said ur self ur going to ( This week I'll be changing oil, plugs, air filter, coolant, and lubing the throttle cables ) so how in the world can we figure out whats wrong with ur bike ?? and ur bike needs all this stuff to be worked on ??? BUT I can give u a clue (( First i think u should fix it and then return it , and then get back on ur sv650 Because it is clear the ZX6R is not for you !!!!!!!!
Cool. Thanks for your help. :no:

·
Registered
109 Posts
He just said IF none of these remedy this problem what else could it be. he didnt say these will for sure fix the problem anyway, hes just wanting to get some answers. You dont have to tell him the the zx6r isnt for him because he is wanting some help. At least he is asking for help and not tearing shit up.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
He just said IF none of these remedy this problem what else could it be. he didnt say these will for sure fix the problem anyway, hes just wanting to get some answers. You dont have to tell him the the zx6r isnt for him because he is wanting some help. At least he is asking for help and not tearing shit up.
Yeah. What he said.

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
05's have a big ecu overheating problem although the symptoms are normally the bike cutting out after about half hour when it gets hot. If you know someone who could lend u their ecu you could tick that one off the possibilies list

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
:grinning: that was a good one

·
Registered
192 Posts
sounds to me like pre-detination.
pull your plug and see what it looks like..
then get cyl 1 to tdc and look at that.

make sure no air gaps in the coolant lines. (if there is an air gap then when the pump gets to it, it has nothing to push or pull)

if these 2 look ok i would go ahead and check that ecu. they are well known for being the culprit. try going to the hardware store and getting some heat wrap.
wrap up ur ecu and give it a whirl....

but you said your engine is getting hot so im leaning towards a coolant issue, or the wrong plug is installed and firing way too hot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts