Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2019 zx6r Feb of 2020 and put a M4 slip on exhaust on in within the first month. Ever since I been having issues with the bike but there are work arounds so I didn't really worry too much about it. As of today the bike has about 2800 miles and the M4 was installed at about 300 miles. Now I figure I should probably look into these problems, so I figure I post here to get an idea. If bike is cold it will start no problem and there is zero hesitation. However once the bike warms up it will not turn back on (if shut off) without giving it a little gas as can be seen in the video. Also I wasn't able to replicate it in the video but eventually it will start hesitating if given very little throttle and sometimes even completely die, if you give it a little more (say 25%) it will hesitate but will not die. At higher RPM's say past 4k there is zero problem, even cruising around under 4k there is almost no problems but a couple of times the bike did sputter a bit cruising at lower RPMs. I'm thinking after removing the cat and adding the slip on it seems to be running really lean at low RPM's but I haven't heard much about other people complaining about issues like what I'm experiencing from just adding a slip on. I'm going to get my ecu flashed soon and hopefully the problem is solved. The bike also idles completely fine without any issue cold or warm it will idle fine, just an issue getting it started when the bike is warm.

·
Registered
177 Posts
From the Video she looks like only needing a small movement on the Throttle to start and idle so Start the Bike and run up to Temp then set the Idle speed to the top end of spec and see if that helps.

Spec is 1250-1350 rpm..

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Do you have an O2 sensor? or did your bike not come with one

Have you checked diagnostic to see if any issue shows up there?? (not just if the FI light is on, but actually see if any codes that would not show the light)

What is the hot idle speed?? I am not sure simply turning the idle speed up a little bit is going to net any positive results, but there is also a cold idle speed adjustment...

Has it ever when started cold gone to a 2000rpm or even 3000rpm idle then slowly fallen back down to the set "hot idle" of 1300ish rpms.....?
or has it always just started like you show in the video, only 1000rpms and needing a little coaxing to do so?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't know a whole lot about bikes so didn't know about adjusting idle speed. After adjusting idle speed, I landed on 2k. If the bike is set to idle at 2k it will not die when starting (this is only when hot, never had any issue with the bike while cold.). Any lower it will die instantly just like on the video. Prior to adjusting the idle speed cold starts would be around 2k and never have any issues.

I haven't check diagnostics yet as I'm not really sure how. I'll read up on what I need to do later today and then give it a shot. Also the bike does have an o2 sensor right after the header. The hot idle speed before adjusting it was around 1300.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So idle speed did indeed not net any positive results..
2K and she starts up is no good as the Bike will make some nasty noises when you select first gear, So make sure as you probably have set it back to 1300.
It would be an interesting test to throw the oem Muffler back on if you still have it and see what if any difference it makes..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ya I would actually love to install the oem Muffle back to see if that corrects the problem but I lived in apartments last year and so I went to my moms house to install the exhaust (in her garage). I left the OEM exhaust there and she threw them away. Anyways looking back at the video on my phone I took while installing the exhaust, I actually installed it at 156 miles. It was a 100 mile ride back to my apartment so possibly wasn't the fault of the slip on, might have been like that from factory but I just didn't notice it until after putting the M4 on which made me think that was the problem. I wasn't getting many hits looking for searches like "bike dying after slip on install" or "bike instantly dies after slip on install" but I'm getting a lot of hits on just zx6r's stalling after start up in general. Like this video, which is literally the exact same problem I'm having, and I'm reading some people saying bad ecu. Funny enough after reading the comments a little he also bought a 2019 zx6r and still has the same issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts