Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
New here and to riding in general. Just purchased my first ebike ever! 05 zx600rr! Went through all the motions of to start on a 600 or not, ended up with a 600 nd I couldn't be happier! That said... One thing that could make me happier is solving this issue I'm having.. I've read about others with an 05 having problems with the bike cutting off and I seem to be in decent company. I at first thought it was a temp cut off. However the reading I've done has led me to believe it is an ecu overheating issue. My question is this: should I buy a new or used ecu from an 06 as I've heard they do not suffer from this malady? Or should I just try and beef up the heat protection around the egg (wherever the hell that thing is)? I guess I'm asking if the ecu is already damaged? Any input would be awesome. The bike rides great for a while then I pick up on what feels like a flutter that turns into a complete engine cut off with the oil light on once the engine dies. By this point I'm coasting and pissed off so ill pull over. I can start the bike after this point but I have to keep on the throttle to stop the bike from dying. Once it sits for a while it returns to normal and all is well again for some time. Again let me know if I can add more info or take some other measures before I make a semi expensive purchase like another ecu.

·
Registered
222 Posts
First check to see if it is simply your kick stand that is causing it to cut out. If it gets bumped, it could cause the engine to shut off.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If it's aready cutting out on you... It's dead... you gotta buy another. I had the issue and chronicled the solve. You'll want to move the ecu from where it is now to where the servo sits currently... (you can get a used 06 ecu from a salvage yard for 350$) Let me know if you need help with the relocation install... Ill send you pics

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

First off I don't think its the kickstand because the symptoms all pretty consistent with heat related issues. Every time I have the issue its As I'm arriving at my destination. I hypothesize that I'm cruising at lower speeds and after a decent period of riding (usually a ride of about 30 to 45 minutes with more lights and slower speeds as I'm about to arrive).

I'm bummed you're saying the ecu is already "dead". So at this stage it already has suffered heat related damage that protecting it can't help or fix? Just wanting to clarify that the bike runs great other than that.
Lastly: junk yard is going to be best bet for a used ecu? EBay or something similar not recommended?
Thanks again for y'alls help!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

First off I don't think its the kickstand because the symptoms all pretty consistent with heat related issues. Every time I have the issue its As I'm arriving at my destination. I hypothesize that I'm cruising at lower speeds and after a decent period of riding (usually a ride of about 30 to 45 minutes with more lights and slower speeds as I'm about to arrive).

I'm bummed you're saying the ecu is already "dead". So at this stage it already has suffered heat related damage that protecting it can't help or fix? Just wanting to clarify that the bike runs great other than that.
Lastly: junk yard is going to be best bet for a used ecu? EBay or something similar not recommended?
Thanks again for y'alls help!
Ok. To clarify. Once the ecu starve experiencing heat related symptoms. (ie cutting out at 104 c and not turning over until it cools) the materials used in the ecu are no longer efficient electrical semi conductors. Silicone for example losses it's ability to conduct at 150 c. So once those materials reach that temperature... There's no turning back. The magic is gone!! Heat shielding will do nothing.... I recommend buying it from a wrecker simply because you can ask em to plug it in run it to temp and verify it's symptom free.. Because the 05 and 06 ecu appears identical and bare identical serial #'s, if you buy it off eBay from China or somewhere else online, you have no way to tell if it's just someone selling a cooked 05 until you're riding down the hwy.. Buyer beware... That's all..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts