Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey...i am planning on gettin new boots this season and am looking at joe rocket's "orbit" boot (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=9101&department=115&Division=1)
or the joe rocket "big bang" boot (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=26657&department=115&division=1)
what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? i like the orbit cause it looks like a normal boot...i am mostly a street rider with only a few trips to the drag strip/road course a season...what i need though is a hard toe to make shifting easier...any suggestions would be apreciated...thx:)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I just happen to have a pair of the big bang boots and Iam quite happy with them. I use them for everyday riding and sometimes on highway trips. Good quality and comfort(once you break them in).I would give them a :thumbup ,you can also have a look at Icon,they also make a decent boot. Hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I personally wouldn't wear either on a bike, but I'm a function over form kind of guy. I've had good luck with Sidi and Alpinestars, but any semi-race style boot has pretty good protection. You want something with hard armor and a slim, rounded heal as its much less likely to catch on the road as your sliding/tumbling down it which can mean the difference between a very broken heal/ankle/tibula and walking away.

I wear a pair of Alpinestars GPS III + boots for commuting everyday. They are pretty comfy, waterpoof and protective.

just my 2c

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ninja, once there broken in do they wear like a normal boot? or is it alittle harder to walk in? and i did like the icon motorhead boot...any advise on those or have you not owned that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh and are the big bangs easy to shift with? my current boot is just a regular hiking boot(use it for work) with no plates or reinfoced anything so i dont get it into gear somtimes when quick shifting...so would they help to get it in gear each time?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
if you're gonna spend the money on a "motorcycle boot" get some sidi's, otherwise save the cash they're gonna stick you with, and get some cheap hiking boots...they're exactly the same as the street boots icon and crap rocket sell....but at a fraction of the cost.

-:banana

·
Registered
127 Posts
I second, third, and fourth that, SIDI are the best by far, great protection and a clever plate in the sole which bends with the natural form of the foot for shifting, but not the opposite way to prevent brocken feet. I have a pair and the comfort is amazing aswell, the come in half sizes so the perfect fit is spot on.
http://www.sidi.it/ita/motorcycle/art.asp?atp_id=c01

·
Registered
127 Posts
They also have builkt in shock absorbers, air flow system you can turn on and off, and a adjustable calf support, like ski boots. Sidi it is then ;-)

·
Registered
617 Posts
They do wear alot like a normal boot and I do find them quite easy to shift in and also to walk in. I did in fact own a pair of the Icon's,I had them for 4 years, the only thing I did'nt like about them was the sole was more of a hiking boot style whereas the rocket's are more like a normal riding specific boot.:thumbup

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sidi is nice but i dont have the money for that....i dont need race boot...im just a casual rider...i need somthing that is comfortable, not real expensive, simple, and casual looking...somthin that doesnt look like a ski boot...the reason i want to get boots if for toe support(for easier shifting) mainly and decent protection...any suggestions that fit the bill?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Crashes hurt just as much regardless of if you crash out of a casual ride or a race:D If anything the causual ride crashes hurt worse because there are often cages inovled. I personally would ride an old bike with proper gear rather than a new bike without proper gear, but that's just my preference function.

I think of these as race boots
http://www.newenough.com/sidi_vertigo_corsa_boots_page.htm

and these as street/commuter boots.
http://www.newenough.com/sidi_strada_evo_air_boots_page.htm

good luck

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
They also have builkt in shock absorbers, air flow system you can turn on and off, and a adjustable calf support, like ski boots. Sidi it is then ;-)
"Shocks...pegs...lucky. Take it off any sweet jumps?"
-N.D.
:laugh

Come on, lets get real....
Some of the prices on "race boots" is just dumb for the casual rider.:rant
If you are going down on the street (not from being a squid) but from a mishap, more than likely you had better make sure your "vitals" are protected. As in some armor.
Your right BikePilot, casual ride crashes sometimes hurt worse because cages involed.

Im not trying to skimp out by no means.:no

But, get you some good boots that fit you well and if they lace up, tuck em in if your scared of hanging them up.
All leather, solid sole and a good fit.
If the mishap is THAT BAD, you got more to worry about.
Broken bones heal up.

Now if ya got some good protection for your body, and you just want to spend that kind of money:thumbup go for it.
It just ticks me off to no end the prices for protection.:rant
ESPECIALLY when it is pushed as a 'fashion" or to "fit in"!

The bike world has come a long, long ways from my days of "dingo-boots", two pair of pants and a leather jacket!
Ive laid many bikes down (never flipped one) and have always walked away. Thank God.

I hope you find a boot that you want, like AND can afford.
Good luck.:smilie:

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
WOW!
Sorry to hear (and see) about that.
Glad your still riding.;)
My "on going" pain is my hands and fingers and right hip.
Good thing for both of us, Its like I said, broken bones heal up.:devious

1 - 18 of 18 Posts