Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i have a 180/55 ZR17 mounted on the back but i want a 190/50 ZR17. (Looks so hot with big butts :) )

Does somebody knows if I have to make something to fit it? or I just have to put the tire and that´s it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
397 Posts
if you like corners, say goodbye to the smooth dive, my last bike had a 190 and I switched it to a 180, unless all you do is go in a straight line I would stay away from a 190.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Kawasaki spends millions on engineering the bike to run on the 180 so I trust their judgment. However I put a 190 on my ZX7 and it handled OK then I crashed it so I can't say how well it worked as the tire was only on the bike 1 day.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My TL1000S came with a 190/50 rear, I switched it over to a 189/55 and the handling greatly improved. That said, I think many of the newer 190/50's are not so wide and flat as they used to be. A 190 can be run on a 5.5" rim, so no worries there (6" is standard, but ducati did them on a 5.5" rim for a while so it will work, how well I can't say..). So all that to say, it will work and probably won't totaly kill your handling, but it will most likley handle less well than it did with the 180/55, still if you really like the looks its not like you'll be married to it. Give it a try and if you don't like it switch back:)

If you have a rear hugger you may run into some clearance issues, but most have enough extra room for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
!!!!!!!!!

Kawasaki spends millions on engineering the bike to run on the 180 so I trust their judgment. However I put a 190 on my ZX7 and it handled OK then I crashed it so I can't say how well it worked as the tire was only on the bike 1 day.
I think I will take you advice and keeping my 180!!!. I'm sorry for your bike bro. I hope you are doing well now.

Tks.:hail

Of course the bike looks better with a big tire, but I don't want to crash my baby.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.

My TL1000S came with a 190/50 rear, I switched it over to a 189/55 and the handling greatly improved. That said, I think many of the newer 190/50's are not so wide and flat as they used to be. A 190 can be run on a 5.5" rim, so no worries there (6" is standard, but ducati did them on a 5.5" rim for a while so it will work, how well I can't say..). So all that to say, it will work and probably won't totaly kill your handling, but it will most likley handle less well than it did with the 180/55, still if you really like the looks its not like you'll be married to it. Give it a try and if you don't like it switch back:)

If you have a rear hugger you may run into some clearance issues, but most have enough extra room for it.

I ride my bike monday to sunday and go to the track twice a month and sometimes to the 1/4 mile to run my bike. I think I'll keep on the 180's for safety!! :)

Thank you again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oooh, BTW, wich ones are better for city and track? Metzler, Dunlop, Michellin? and what model?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts