Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
That is FUCKING insane!!!! I mean I saw Marquez personal suitnat Laguna today in the alpinestars booth that's not a very big man but he must have some huge balls because to fly over turn 1 like that is literally insane!!! Nope I do not posses big enough balls to go full WOT over the crest of turn 1!!! @sbk1198 I will personally host you just to see you fly over turn 1 at a max speed of like 50 because you are too scared lmfao!!! :devious :BigGrin :laugh
Just pin it bro! :D

I still think turn 3 is the worst there :glare:. I can never get it right. The tire is cold by that time and it's off-camber.

Of course it's of no challenge to MM93. :D
Yeah... not my favorite turn :rant: But after the first try I made it my bitch the next two trips to that track :D

Not sure if anyone else has read this but Elena Myers put up a blog a week or so ago talking about each turn on the track. Here's turn 1 and 3 descriptions...
Turn by turn guide to MotoAmerica at Laguna Seca

"Turn 1: The way I approach this turn, which some consider not a turn at all, is a bit different than your standard corner. Although you can’t tell on the map, the apex (the closest you get to the inside edge of the track in each corner) of this turn is the peak of the elevation on this part of the track. Although your line will be the same, you’ll really have to pick up on some reference points—bumps, lines, color variations or landmarks—to guide you through. The reference point I always used was the right side of the foot bridge that goes over the track here. I wanted to be leaned at a certain angle by the time I went underneath it.

The part where you’re leaned over the most is completely blind when you’re approaching it. This turn’s radius is more like a kink, so on a 600 you should be flat-out. It takes some serious cojones to do it, especially if you don’t have your reference points down. These elements of difficulty make this turn my all-time favorite in the country."

"Turns 3 and 4: These look like a pair of pretty basic right-hand corners, but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Turn three is a decreasing radius corner, and quite balanced in terms of entry and exit so I always treated it as an exit corner, because that’s a safer and more repeatable approach. The entry is also quite tricky because there’s zero elevation on this part of the course and it’s really hard to see the inside of the corner. You’re going to be lost here without reference points.

Mine was midway through the curbing on the outside of the track, where there’s a certain point where I’d start my turn in. The key to this turn is to stay parallel with the inside curbing so you can get on the throttle as early as possible as you exit."

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Probably helps a lot when you start at 5 years of age and you've never had to pay for a bike or bike parts out of your own pocket...at least that's my theory :O
I would say they usually start as soon as the can walk (except Max Biaggi, he didn't until the age of 18). As far as paying for parts, the parents usually get in huge debt to allow them to accomplish this. I remember reading that when Marc would outgrow his leathers his dad would just keep extending the leather at the ankles since they didn't have enough money.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Defying Gravity, Then
Listening to Mom

That was enough incentive for a family struggling to finance the racing careers of two sons on the modest salaries of a father who operated a construction digger and a mother who worked as a secretary. When Marc started to grow, his parents added an extra strip of leather to lengthen his first racing suit rather than buy a new one. Alex, three years younger and now about three inches taller than his brother, inherited the suit.

“We would sometimes not dine out to help buy boots for our sons,” Márquez’s mother said. “People see where Marc and Alex stand now, but we know there were a lot of sacrifices to get there.”

·
Director of Moderation
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would say they usually start as soon as the can walk (except Max Biaggi, he didn't until the age of 18). As far as paying for parts, the parents usually get in huge debt to allow them to accomplish this. I remember reading that when Marc would outgrow his leathers his dad would just keep extending the leather at the ankles since they didn't have enough money.
True, but that's my point. It was someone else, in this case the parents, who paid. The money that have gone into my bikes, my track/race fees, gear, etc. have been 100% covered by me. If my parents had paid for a bunch of it, or someone else, I think I would take a lot more chances out on track.

Reactions: PainfullySlo

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just pin it bro! :D

Yeah... not my favorite turn :rant: But after the first try I made it my bitch the next two trips to that track :D

Not sure if anyone else has read this but Elena Myers put up a blog a week or so ago talking about each turn on the track. Here's turn 1 and 3 descriptions...
Turn by turn guide to MotoAmerica at Laguna Seca

"Turn 1: The way I approach this turn, which some consider not a turn at all, is a bit different than your standard corner. Although you can’t tell on the map, the apex (the closest you get to the inside edge of the track in each corner) of this turn is the peak of the elevation on this part of the track. Although your line will be the same, you’ll really have to pick up on some reference points—bumps, lines, color variations or landmarks—to guide you through. The reference point I always used was the right side of the foot bridge that goes over the track here. I wanted to be leaned at a certain angle by the time I went underneath it.

The part where you’re leaned over the most is completely blind when you’re approaching it. This turn’s radius is more like a kink, so on a 600 you should be flat-out. It takes some serious cojones to do it, especially if you don’t have your reference points down. These elements of difficulty make this turn my all-time favorite in the country."

"Turns 3 and 4: These look like a pair of pretty basic right-hand corners, but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Turn three is a decreasing radius corner, and quite balanced in terms of entry and exit so I always treated it as an exit corner, because that’s a safer and more repeatable approach. The entry is also quite tricky because there’s zero elevation on this part of the course and it’s really hard to see the inside of the corner. You’re going to be lost here without reference points.

Mine was midway through the curbing on the outside of the track, where there’s a certain point where I’d start my turn in. The key to this turn is to stay parallel with the inside curbing so you can get on the throttle as early as possible as you exit."
I'm not gonna claim I was TFO at the crest of Turn 1 on my one track day there but I was doing "better" by the end of the day. The part that messes with me are the cones on the left that divide the hot track from the entry lane. For some reason when those things would pop into my vision I'd instantly chop the throttle then find myself almost coasting into the corner - very no bueno :(

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Maybe depends on how you crash lol. I lowsided once at the track no immediate pain but ass cheek and hand were both sore the next two days, nothing horrible. But high siding is what I'm truly scared of lol
Sliding is fun! It's the sudden stop at the end that hurts. :O

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not sure how I haven't seen this 4 year old picture before, but I recall a thread on here where @Felixthecat and @PowerGroove were talking about T1 at Laguna and Felix was saying he doesn't go through there flat out.

THIS is flat out Felix!! :devilish...note neither of his wheels are touching the ground while he's going over that crest! On a 260-hp bike nontheless!! Freakin insane!

You better be going through that turn at WOT on the zx6r from now on Felix!! And yes, this is coming from someone that's never been there, only "ridden" Laguna in video games! :laugh

Marc Marquez, First in Flight - Scott Jones
Holy shit...that's nuts! Love watching the IOM TT....these dudes have major balls as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Turn 1 is a piece of cake.

Now, Cadwell Park, that one takes big ones. . . :D

OMG this is one of my bucket list tracks. I need to get better just so I can mangle myself again trying to do this :p

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
11,691 Posts
Sauvage

21 - 33 of 33 Posts