Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
damn 1400 miles second tick started 2days later noticed oil leak from the headers now bike is in shop this sucks never had a problem w/kawi's before i am pissed please check you bike fellow riders

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
how can you tell if there is a ticking noise? when does it tick>?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kawasaki always had a small tick when bike is in neutral..but if you here a tick while riding itwill get louder you will know check for an oil leak @ the upper left side of motor feel nead the muffler headers ...it appears that the main probis the valve gaskets and valves

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
The Kawasaki tick is also present while riding the bike. My bike has 25k on it and I can hear it when riding usually.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mine is getting loud as well... I have about 28,000 miles on it. I started running 20w-50 oil in it, and it seems to have quieted the top end a bit. Ive heard through the grapevine that Kawis need the cam chain tension adjusted after alot of miles. Im getting that, fresh valve job, and new rings this winter. It should be runnin' GREAT after that!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ticking noise....

Mine has 9,500 miles on it - has always made a ticking noise, mainly a combination of the fuel injectors and valve train - think people need to be aware if the difference between a 'healthy' ticking and the 'death clatter'....

Generally speaking all engines, including car engines, exhibit top end noise - but with bikes it is more noticeable as you are nearer the action. Infact, if the engine runs with no top end noise at all, it is probably the case that the valve clearances are too small (my dad always says 'a tappy tappet is a happy tappet' - for those who are too young to remember a tappet is the other name for cam follower!!)

Modern fuel systems are also fairly noisy, bearing in mind the number of operations that are being carried out with injectors, throttle plates, actuators etc.........

What should concern you is a sudden change in engine noise, particularly if it gets much worse under load or acceleration - this is the time to get to a proper technician ASAP (not let some receptionist at a dealer have a quick listen)...........

Other than that just make sure you get it properly serviced and stop worrying - just ride the damn thing!!!!! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine went in today for the 600 mile service,Has the same oil leak at the top left .Needs valve cover gasket.Had tech look at the cams and buckets and he said they all looked good and the valves were in spec.Had to order the gasket and stuff so I am looking at Friday before I get my bike back.Good thing I have another so I can still ride!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine has 9,500 miles on it - has always made a ticking noise, mainly a combination of the fuel injectors and valve train - think people need to be aware if the difference between a 'healthy' ticking and the 'death clatter'....

Generally speaking all engines, including car engines, exhibit top end noise - but with bikes it is more noticeable as you are nearer the action. Infact, if the engine runs with no top end noise at all, it is probably the case that the valve clearances are too small (my dad always says 'a tappy tappet is a happy tappet' - for those who are too young to remember a tappet is the other name for cam follower!!)

Modern fuel systems are also fairly noisy, bearing in mind the number of operations that are being carried out with injectors, throttle plates, actuators etc.........

What should concern you is a sudden change in engine noise, particularly if it gets much worse under load or acceleration - this is the time to get to a proper technician ASAP (not let some receptionist at a dealer have a quick listen)...........

Other than that just make sure you get it properly serviced and stop worrying - just ride the damn thing!!!!! :)
Theres also the fact that if your running fully synthetic you will hear a lot more noises than normal due to the viscosity of the oil

·
Registered
112 Posts
Whats up? Its been a minute since i've posted. I have the same oil leak on the left side of the engine. It also seems like I'm loosing power. I'm not hitting the higher RPMs as quick anymore. Or maybe i'm just getting used to the speed of the bike since this is my first bike. I don't know. But it seems slower. And louder. And jerkier.

Also, has anyone else had a problem with their gas tank locks?? I can not get my gas tank open. The key will not turn.

·
Registered
553 Posts
it should get louder as the baffles loosen up in the exhaust. The locks need to be lubed from time to time, no big deal just spray something in the lock cylinder. I'm sure your not really losing power on an 07, your just getting used to the speed. My 06 ticks and has ticked since the day I got it and it has 12k miles on it now, I'm not really worried about it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Makes me wonder are we all getting a bit paranoid?? Mine sounded noise from the top end today, personally I think the carbs need balancing (I know 07 bikes don't have carbs). I've seen it happen so many times tho', one person discovers something and everyone else then finds it on theirs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Makes me wonder are we all getting a bit paranoid?? Mine sounded noise from the top end today, personally I think the carbs need balancing (I know 07 bikes don't have carbs). I've seen it happen so many times tho', one person discovers something and everyone else then finds it on theirs.
Paranoia is a terrible thing, sometimes it is best to stop worrying, get some ear plugs or something and just get on with it...........if it's gonna happen it will anyway, otherwise we will all be nervous wrecks and spend all of our time with stethoscopes worrying about every little noise!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the tickling... when you feel your motor will come out of your
bike it's because it's probably tickling ! LOL Mine was that bad.
I got it towed for getting it to the garage.
I was only 1 500km *don't know how many miles*.
Pieces will only arrive in two weeks from now and coming down
from Japan.
The guy can only offer me an extended guarantee for the time
it was at the garage. Winter is coming soon and I will have to
park my bike... I was counting on this to get my exam next
year when summer will be back !
Now I am stuck to backride !!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Also, has anyone else had a problem with their gas tank locks?? I can not get my gas tank open. The key will not turn.
Same here. I think when I take her in for an oil change I'm going to get that looked into.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The locks need to be lubed from time to time, no big deal just spray something in the lock cylinder.
True, but I never had to do that on my 6 y.o. F4i.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts