Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An article published in the journal 'SCIENCE' less than a few days ago (Friday)discusses the research by an All-Star group looking into a viable improvement to Lithium (Li) ion batteries, it's not exactly a new type of battery, but the ability to utilize the technology without high temperatures is new.

What follows is a brief description of it:

"Now, though, an all-star team of researchers from Caltech, NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and Honda say they’ve developed a fluoride-based battery that could deliver up to ten times the energy density of a conventional lithium-ion cell — and that take fewer resources to manufacture.

The team describes the new battery in a paper published Friday in the journal Science. Basically, CNET reports, fluoride batteries have been around for a while — but they required oven-like temperatures of around 300 degrees Farenheit (150 Celsius) to function. The new battery, according to Caltech and company, can produce power at room temperature.

“Fluoride-ion batteries offer a promising new battery chemistry with up to ten times more energy density than currently available Lithium batteries,” said Christopher Brooks, a Honda Research Institute researcher and a co-author of the paper, in a press release. “Unlike Li-ion batteries, FIBs do not pose a safety risk due to overheating, and obtaining the source materials for FIBs creates considerably less environmental impact than the extraction process for lithium and cobalt.”

The article further states that unlike lithium batteries are the technology/chemistry, "behind the fluoride battery say that it’s unlikely to burst into flames."

Great. Just after I jumped last summer into the Weight Watchers of bike batteries, Li-ion, I'll be able to stick a battery the size of a 9-volt in its place. (No worries, it will take much longer to trickle down to a market like bikes & small recreational usage).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Fascinating, thanks for posting, now I’ll have something to do tomorrow. If the technology can be advanced it would open up viable electric vehicles. Of course I still prefer the sound of an I4 at 15,000 RPM! My oldest son has a masters in chemical engineering from Cal Tech,they run JPL. A side note is JPL originated when back in the day it was deemed better to find the rocket engineers a more remote place away from the CalTech campus.

It will be interesting to watch the change from internal combustion to battery powered electric vehicles. Oversimplified electric motors are limited by temperature of the windings in how much power they can generate. Quick short bursts of extra power can be done with electric motors. However the fundamentals of riding a performance bike won’t change that much.

My son got his PhD at the University of Florida and is now in San Jose in the semiconductor industry. Last summer I made it to Yellowstone, next summer it will be major ride to California and up the west coast.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Cool, but we'll see if anything actually comes of it.

I was told we would have cold fusion and flying cars by the time I was an adult in the early 80's. My father was told the same thing in the early 60's. Still waiting...

·
Registered
13,999 Posts
Energy storage density is the biggest challenge for electric vehicles. 10x density means real world range.

The amount of time to charge..... If that has to increase by 10x as well........

·
Registered
666 Posts
My Battery Tenders for Lead Acid batteries are sweating.

Btw I unplugged my battery tender from my Shorai(needed an extension cord for outdoor Xmas decorations), and 2 weeks in the cold Ms. Zinarah fired right up. No issues. 93 Pump with Stabil for reference.

I wonder how this will affect electric bike companies like Energica and Zero? I saw them at the NY Progressive IMS, and man it's weird walking up to a bike without a levers on the left side.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fascinating, thanks for posting, now I’ll have something to do tomorrow. If the technology can be advanced it would open up viable electric vehicles. Of course I still prefer the sound of an I4 at 15,000 RPM! My oldest son has a masters in chemical engineering from Cal Tech,they run JPL. A side note is JPL originated when back in the day it was deemed better to find the rocket engineers a more remote place away from the CalTech campus.

It will be interesting to watch the change from internal combustion to battery powered electric vehicles. Oversimplified electric motors are limited by temperature of the windings in how much power they can generate. Quick short bursts of extra power can be done with electric motors. However the fundamentals of riding a performance bike won’t change that much.

My son got his PhD at the University of Florida and is now in San Jose in the semiconductor industry. Last summer I made it to (*) Yellowstone, next summer it will be major ride to California and up the west coast.

I have a nephew whose day job is teaching (physics) at a private institution for higher learning in the sleepy town of Ithaca, NY in the beautiful Finger Lakes region. He also used to do work for JPL. He's literally a rocket scientist. I dearly love the lad (hard to think of him as an adult), but he's so damn smart, he's as socially adept as a root vegetable.

*What route did you take from AL to YNP? I have family in WY, and as a result spent a great deal of time camping there w/hoards of extended family. Also took many an elk hunting trip to the area E of of Moran Jct with my dad, brothers, uncles, cousins & grandparents.

If you make as far N as Oregon next summer PM me in advance.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
But would it start a motorcyle on those 30* mornings???
Sounds like the answer is still NO
room temperature is what??? atleast in the 70's

·
Registered
13,999 Posts
But would it start a motorcyle on those 30* mornings???
Sounds like the answer is still NO
room temperature is what??? atleast in the 70's
At ten times the energy density, you could darn near run a heater to keep it in the right temp range......

·
Registered
199 Posts
ZedExMuse,

What type of Lithium Ion battery did you purchase. I was planning on picking up one of the ballistic batteries, however I see they closed shop. I will probably end up purchasing a full spectrum after speaking with the guys over at STG. Have you had any problems with your Li battery?

·
Director of Moderation
10,475 Posts
ZedExMuse,

What type of Lithium Ion battery did you purchase. I was planning on picking up one of the ballistic batteries, however I see they closed shop. I will probably end up purchasing a full spectrum after speaking with the guys over at STG. Have you had any problems with your Li battery?
Shorai. I've had 3 of them (still have 2 in my current bikes).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts