Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone please don't hate on me for my lack of knowledge but I need some advice...I've gotten notice roughly a week ago my career will require me to relocate out of the country for at least 8 months but most likely longer. I've purchased my bike in February and worked hard on making it what it is today...bought gear...and have rode as much as the weather would permit...self teaching myself how to ride from reading this forum...cause no riding buddy's or anything just solo...point being I am enjoying the new world of two wheels...
I've got a lot of things done to my bike and don't want to see it go to waste or be ruined from sitting...are there any tips or suggestions that can be done to preserve my bike, riding gear, and trailer? If not I may advertise locally because I'd much rather see someone enjoy it all than go to waste and cause trouble or issues down the road. Any input will be appreciated.
Kenneth

·
Registered
252 Posts
I dont ride my bike for around 5 months a year over winter.

If its kept in a garage or someplace away from frost and its on Paddocs it should be ok.

I didnt do anything with the fuel but asked here and was advised to fill the tank. (Read scaremongering that petrol breaks down after 3 months and becomes unusable but dont really think thats the case)

When I rolled her out last month started fine no issues. Just needed to put some air in the tyres. I guess the only thing missing could be the Bat going flat if your storing it longer.

As for your gear nothing will happen if stored in a warm place either.

Obviously my experence is only 5 months lots of people though do 6 months on 6 months off

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Take the battery off and have it stored somewhere warm (relatives house?)
This prevents battery death, and stops anyone from stealing it by riding it away.

Put it up on paddock stands (front and rear) or your tyres will go shitty.

And put some Stabil or something in the fuel tank, give it a good shake, and then go for a short ride to make sure the treated fuel reaches the injectors.

You could also look at a vacuum bag for bike storage - keeps moisture and crap off the bike and it'll be nice and clean / shiny still when you come back for it.

Reactions: Knotty Boy

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
Do you have the self discipline to keep the money from the sale in an account and apply that to the purchase of another bike?

I'd be of mixed emotions on this one.... if you can afford to hang on to it, it's a much more painful decision, IMHO.

Selling it at this time of year is likely to get you a better return on whatever you have spent on it to date -- but expect to take a loss, regardless. That way you aren't surprised.

Storing a bike isn't too difficult, as has been said add some stabilizer to the fuel, disconnect the battery, make sure it's on stands, cover it in storage somewhere you trust.... remember to flush the brake fluid when you get back to it as well.

When you come back a year or more later, it will be worth less than it is right now, regardless of how well you store it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have the self discipline to keep the money from the sale in an account and apply that to the purchase of another bike?

I'd be of mixed emotions on this one.... if you can afford to hang on to it, it's a much more painful decision, IMHO.

Selling it at this time of year is likely to get you a better return on whatever you have spent on it to date -- but expect to take a loss, regardless. That way you aren't surprised.

Storing a bike isn't too difficult, as has been said add some stabilizer to the fuel, disconnect the battery, make sure it's on stands, cover it in storage somewhere you trust.... remember to flush the brake fluid when you get back to it as well.

When you come back a year or more later, it will be worth less than it is right now, regardless of how well you store it.
its not so much any concern about costing me anything to keep it stored or being able to buy another if I sold it, its more of what you said about being worth anything after I return and wanted to upgrade, I understand the meaning of not getting out what you put in, that's part of it lol, just that like you stated any return would be greater now than in the future and the loss would be less, since it seems fairly simple to stow away for periods of time then i pretty much only have the factor of loss to consider. with that said im better off selling now then giving away after my return....
much thanks to the information yall suggested and pointing out different views

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After some thought I've decided to sell...thank you all again
If y'all know of any places or web sites that I could look into advertising would be greatful
Looking into cycle trader

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Here's the thing, my man. In 8 months the bike is going to be worth less than now weather you ride it like a cheap whore or store it in a vacuum bag. So, it boils down to your original question: how to store it.
Bike: put any kind of stabilizer in the tank (Amsoil, Sta bil, Sea Foam) and fill it up. Change the oil and filter. Wash the bike and lube the chain and pivot points (shifter and brake levers, foot pegs, etc). Ride for at least 30 minutes. Get it good and warm to dry it off and get the engine internals covered in fresh oil. Air the tires up to 45 psi or put it on stands. If you are leaving it on the ground, use cardboard under the tires. Cover it with a sheet or MC cover. Do not use plastic! It needs to breathe. Use the appropriate cover if stored outside.
Gear: wipe all leather down with leather cleaner. Stuff newspaper in the boots and helmet (keeps moisture down) and store inside.
Trailer: Lube the coupler, hinges and locks. Air up the tires and lock the wheels and coupler if it is on the street or a big lot.
Easy peasy. Do you HAVE to do all that? No, but you could leave it for a year or two like that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would store it. you know the bike especially if you like the bike. you don't know what you will get with a new bike I wouldn't want that gamble. my 0.02 but then again most years mine is stored for 6-8 months a year anyway :O

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
yeah if stored correctly, storage'll be fine. take note what ross said, esp with the bike stands. good luck overseas : )

·
Registered
639 Posts
store it, if you have the resources. if not, I know what a pain it can be....so sell.

stabil, battery tender, stands, a good cleaning prior and maybe a oil change if you know it will sit for longer than 6...

·
Registered
70 Posts
After some thought I've decided to sell...thank you all again
If y'all know of any places or web sites that I could look into advertising would be greatful
Looking into cycle trader
8 months isn't that long dude. Put it up on craigslist, and if you dont get a stupid high price out of selling it, just keep it. Taxes, tag, etc add up, and repurchasing a bike later may not make the most financial sense.

However, if you're making payments on this bike, and are looking to free up some capital, I totally understand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No payments it's free and clear sorry for late responses just woke up for night shift... yay

·
Registered
955 Posts
Only you can really answer this question of yours. How much do you want to keep it. Are you anxious to get home and go ride? Are you riding it to work? Will you be heartbroken if it's gone or will you be ok with letting the bike go?
I mean.. it's all dependent on how you will deal with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts