Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My tires are starting to get near the edge. They are bridgestone hypersport bt-016. Want some opinions on the best tire for doing lots of twisties and agressive riding style. Don't see any track days.
Thanks! Ride safe ?

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
Q3.

They stick like glue.
Get ok millage.
Rebates make em cheap.

Ey3

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The Dunlop Q3s just won motorcycle USA's tire test

I personally prefer the Bridgestone S20s, I think they offer equal grip as the Q3 with more front tire feel.

Hearing very good things about the Bridgestone RS10s except that they wear really fast.

Note that all 3 of these tires wear out fast. You can lengthen the life by increasing your tire pressures when you know your only going to be cruising around town. But expect quite possibly less than 3000 miles on these types of tires. The good thing is with the rebates, they are fairly cheap and can usually be found for around $200 except for the RS10s which are a little more expensive.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dunlop Q3s. Just got my set installed and I do twisties whenever I ride my bike. I don't do much commuting to work(maybe once a week or every 2 weeks to start the bike up). I'm out every weekend and day off though. I expect them to last me at least until they heat cycle out, or have significant squaring. I hear they last a good 4-7 thousand miles if strictly street ridden, but results will obviously vary. If you want something longer lasting, but a little less outright grip, I'd look at the Michelin PP3s. My buddy has them on his R1 and he loves them. He would have gotten the Q3s, but he wanted something that lasts a little longer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Dunlop Q3s just won motorcycle USA's tire test

I personally prefer the Bridgestone S20s, I think they offer equal grip as the Q3 with more front tire feel.

Hearing very good things about the Bridgestone RS10s except that they wear really fast.

Note that all 3 of these tires wear out fast. You can lengthen the life by increasing your tire pressures when you know your only going to be cruising around town. But expect quite possibly less than 3000 miles on these types of tires. The good thing is with the rebates, they are fairly cheap and can usually be found for around $200 except for the RS10s which are a little more expensive.
thanks. do you know the difference between the s20 and s20 evo?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
thanks. do you know the difference between the s20 and s20 evo?
As I interpreted bridge stones explanation on their website, the tire does a little better on tire wear. I assume this is at the cost of grip so I have not tried it yet. But Bridgestone says it improves in all areas except wet road performance. We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
thanks for the video!
I wish that they used a professional rider instead of Adam for that test. Some of the tires required more adaptation than others, requiring a little longer time to get the most out of them, which I think skewed the results a little, but still not bad.

Reactions: ZX6Rfast

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I interpreted bridge stones explanation on their website, the tire does a little better on tire wear. I assume this is at the cost of grip so I have not tried it yet. But Bridgestone says it improves in all areas except wet road performance. We'll see I guess.
thanks

·
Registered
4,877 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
How much life do you get out of PP3s?

Funny you should ask:

PP3s had the least wear (Longest lasting).

Basically if you want decent street performance that's good in the rain that last the longest, get the PP3s.
If you want cheap, sticky track day ready tires, get the Q3s.

There are some other good options, however.

Reactions: ZX6Rfast

·
Registered
170 Posts
I live in middle Pennsylvania aka mountain country, and everyone I know swears by the michelin pilot powers. I tried them and was happy. But the michelin pp 2ct are even better, never had a slip or any problem with them in either of my bikes and I know my 10r pushes them to the limits. They are softer so not as many miles out of them as the regular pp. I got 7k out of my last set of pp's and I'm currently at 2k on the 10 with the 2ct just showing wear, I'm figuring (hoping at least) 3500-4k.

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
The image posted earlier (I believe) is millage statistics with tread depth. I can annotate the image with English translations if you like.

My personal data:

I have 1,000 miles and 1 track day on mine. I still have consistent 4.5 mm before I get to the wear indicator. I can't imagine I started with more than 5.5 mm anyone with new q3's can tell for sure.

My bike won't be on the streets again, at least not in the foreseeable future. So I won't have real road numbers, and intend to use them aggressively.

For the street miles on it:
Almost all commuting, with ~300 miles in the mountains.
I'm fairly slow. No knee dragging occurred.

I would expect that the way I ride on the streets I could get 3,500-4,000 maybe more out of a set.

Ey3

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Q3

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The image posted earlier (I believe) is millage statistics with tread depth. I can annotate the image with English translations if you like.

My personal data:

I have 1,000 miles and 1 track day on mine. I still have consistent 4.5 mm before I get to the wear indicator. I can't imagine I started with more than 5.5 mm anyone with new q3's can tell for sure.

My bike won't be on the streets again, at least not in the foreseeable future. So I won't have real road numbers, and intend to use them aggressively.

For the street miles on it:
Almost all commuting, with ~300 miles in the mountains.
I'm fairly slow. No knee dragging occurred.

I would expect that the way I ride on the streets I could get 3,500-4,000 maybe more out of a set.

Ey3
yeah i would really appreciate it if you translated it! thanks. Also thanks for your personal data. gives me a better perspective!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts