Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just looking for some input on what you believe is the best HID kit for my 01. Looking for something with the slim ballast so they can be hidden a little easier. Probably going to get 6000k kit. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I did mine with a kit from DDM Tuning. I didn't retrofit at all - just installed this HIDs in the stock headlight assembly and loved it. Did the same thing on my '05...retrofitting is overkill in my opinion :O

What does that mean? Something to do with projectors?
I'm assuming that's what he's referring to, yes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want projectors, I'm just looking to swap from halogen to HID. Does anybody make a slim ballast H4 kit?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I don't want projectors, I'm just looking to swap from halogen to HID. Does anybody make a slim ballast H4 kit?
Yes...the link I provided above...

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Yes. Much cleaner looks, and wont be blinding people
Well, the looks are certainly a matter of opinion - I think the projectors look MUCH worse :O

And as for blinding people, as long as you have them aimed right and don't have the old school glass headlights with the grooves in them (which none of us do), you aren't going to be blinding anyone much more than you do (less actually because they are aimed down more)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just going for plug and play, retrofit is too much for right now.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Well, the looks are certainly a matter of opinion - I think the projectors look MUCH worse :O

And as for blinding people, as long as you have them aimed right and don't have the old school glass headlights with the grooves in them (which none of us do), you aren't going to be blinding anyone much more than you do (less actually because they are aimed down more)
Sorry, but you will be blinding people. Sticking a PNP HID kit is going to cause light to scatter no matter how you aim them. You are putting lights into a headlight that were not meant for them. I just suggest it because the last thing you want is blinding the person in the opposite lane, on a two lane road (Probably a serious case of blinding, but you get the idea lol)

·
Registered
441 Posts
That looks awesome... but I've never been comfortable with the idea of pulling apart headlights.
It's not bad man. I had no knowledge of it before I did it on my truck, and it turned out great. I have done my gfs car since then too. I'm just being lazy right now, so the bike doesn't have one yet.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Sorry, but you will be blinding people. Sticking a PNP HID kit is going to cause light to scatter no matter how you aim them. You are putting lights into a headlight that were not meant for them. I just suggest it because the last thing you want is blinding the person in the opposite lane, on a two lane road (Probably a serious case of blinding, but you get the idea lol)
I actually did a study on this in an engineering class a few years back. We obviously found more scatter than with projectors, but not any more than was already present with the stock lights. Beyond that, the intensity of the light at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards was less than if you had your stock brights on. I'll try to dig up the links to the published article if you're interested, but it really makes significantly less difference than you would imagine.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Well I get a 25% discount on kits from The Retrofit Source through the truck forum I am a part of. I doubt they do it for the motorcycle kits though. It looks like it's $280....I got the one for my truck and my gf for $200 each.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I actually did a study on this in an engineering class a few years back. We obviously found more scatter than with projectors, but not any more than was already present with the stock lights. Beyond that, the intensity of the light at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards was less than if you had your stock brights on. I'll try to dig up the links to the published article if you're interested, but it really makes significantly less difference than you would imagine.
That's good to know. I still prefer projectors lol. Obviously OP can do what he wants.

·
Registered
441 Posts
And how can you not like the looks?? Makes the bike look so mean!! :yumyum:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts