Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few forums about which gas works best in bikes, but I can't find a straight answer for my bike. I use to use low grade fuel and never had a problem with it, is that bad? If anyone can help me I'd be very greatful. Id like to run my bike at its best potential.

·
Registered
13,092 Posts
I've read a few forums about which gas works best in bikes, but I can't find a straight answer for my bike. I use to use low grade fuel and never had a problem with it, is that bad? If anyone can help me I'd be very greatful. Id like to run my bike at its best potential.
What's listed in the owner's manual is what's best for the bike. That's the best answer you'll get.

If the bike will run on whatever snake oil you put in there without knocking or backfiring, rattling, etc., etc. it's probably okay.:O

If the motor is modified there may be a need to run the highest octane you can find; this is one of the reasons I don't modify my bikes. Buy one that is fast enough, and leave it alone. Ride. Fill. Repeat.:devious

·
Registered
43 Posts
91 is what they have around here at highest octane. To low and you could get premature ignition.I think the 87 is rated to 7k rpm or something like that

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
You can run lowest octane without experiece detonation *pinging* you will be fine so if your bike runs fine on 87 no need to run premium.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
above statements are correct. using higher octane than needed is wasting $$. it can actually cause less mpg cos higher octane burns slower and therefore your engine may not burn all the fuel and spits out raw fuel.

·
Registered
146 Posts
above statements are correct. using higher octane than needed is wasting $$. it can actually cause less mpg cos higher octane burns slower and therefore your engine may not burn all the fuel and spits out raw fuel.
Yeah, but then you can spit FIRE

·
Registered
121 Posts
Owner's manual says 90 minimum. I recently ran a tank of mid-grade (89) and it seemed to idle a little higher once warmed up (idled at 2,000 instead of 1,500 where I had set it). I have since ran her on 91 and she seemed to act a little more behaved. Idles smoothly at 1,500 (no adjustment to the idle cable or anything) and seems a little more peppy.

My 919 doesn't care what she gets, pretty sure I could feed her a loaf of bread with some vodka and she'd be fine. The Ninja seems a little bit more particular. ('03 919 = 10.8:1 compression ratio... '00 ZX6R = 12.8:1 compression)

I finally found a place that sells premium at only $0.20/gal higher than 87. Everywhere else in town charges $.040-$0.60/gal more for premium over 87 and don't have premium prices displayed on their giant signs.

I will say it ran absolute best when I gave her 100LL aviation fuel. She loved the good stuff! :yumyum: But I also don't want to run too much of that or she will start fouling plugs. Very smooth idle, easier to start, quieter top end noises, less jumpy and erratic takeoff)

·
Registered
146 Posts
... Why would you want a quieter top end....?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Haha yeah, those you want quieter. Sorry, thought you meant exhaust note. Thought to myself "if he wants a quiet bike, why get a 600?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah no my exhaust is fairly loud. I got the bike used so I didn't have a manual. I figured a sport biker community would be able to help me just as well as the manual. But I have been running high grade for the past week or so. It's a lot less sluggish. And it idles at about 1,500 now instead of 2500-3000 at some points like it use to. So theirs definitely a difference I can feel. Thanks for all the replies by the way!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts