1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Depends on how quick the transitions is but I suppose on a motorcycle you do not go inside and outside of a house to often so it probably is not a big deal!

Bell has really stepped up there game and started providing quality helmets again!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I can't speak for the RS1, but I have the Bell Star with the Solfx shield and it really is amazing. the change from clear to smoke isn't instant, but its quick enough. When you're riding you can't tell its adjusting but my buddies always tell me its pretty cool seeing my shield be dark/light at various points in the ride. It definitely beats wearing sunglasses and carrying two shields if it gets too dark out.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I put on an rs1 at the track, was the most comfortable helmet I ever wore. Damn thing was like a slipper. It will definitely be my next lid

·
Registered
269 Posts
I really like my RS1, super comfortable, no issues with wind buffeting even when pushing on the track. Wind noise is not bad but I ride with earplugs most of the time so its not an issue at all.

I don't have any experience with other high end lids to compare it too but I would not hesitate to buy another one. Leaps and bounds better than my old HJC CL16.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Depends on how quick the transitions is but I suppose on a motorcycle you do not go inside and outside of a house to often so it probably is not a big deal!

Bell has really stepped up there game and started providing quality helmets again!
A while back Bell sold their motorsports division to some Indian holdings company while they focused exclusively on things like bicycle helmets and other different helmets. Motorsports helmets took a nosedive in quality. Back in 2010 or so the original owners reacquired the motorsports division. The Star was the first helmet to come from the "new" Bell. So it's not that Bell has stepped up their game, it's that they went back to the way they used to be because they're now owned by their original owners again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Heres my take on the RS1 owning a Matte Black.

There is two types of linings. the Grey and the Static X lining.

the Grey lining has a luxurious feel to it, soft like suede (soooo smooth) but can get muffy in hot weather.

the static is isnt soo luxurious feeling, but is cooler in hot weather.

Now the helmet it self.............FKN AWESOME!!!
by far the best helmet i've owned. compared to Shoei XR 1000, XR1100, HJC, KBC CL-16.
the wind noise is good, but falls behind the Shoei (xr helmets are by far the quietest helmets ive owned) but comfort wise and ventilation, the Bell pisses all over the Shoei, not to mention FULL removable linings. not like other brands who say full removable but cant remove chin strap or or chin guard etc.

Bang for buck? hell yeah! you get a chin guard, miniature breathe guard at no extra cost.
Shoei, HJC, KBC, ARAI etc all have to buy it as an extra.

anyways hope that helps. I cant really comment on the SolFX, but I just ordered mine as I ride everyday.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the comments, i wear a M in the HJC but the sizing chart says i need a L bell. im hesitant to buy online without trying it on but hey i guess thats what warranties are for!! ill fill you guys in on my review after the purhcase!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Anybody with glasses wear this helmet? Really want this to be my next helmet but dont want to have to wear contacts all the time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Anybody with glasses wear this helmet? Really want this to be my next helmet but dont want to have to wear contacts all the time.
Idk how you ever ride with glasses. Contacts are so much better with peripheral vision and stuff

·
Registered
294 Posts
Idk how you ever ride with glasses. Contacts are so much better with peripheral vision and stuff
Sigh...tell me about it...but after you fall asleep in your contacts and get an eye infection....you kinda dont have a choice :no:

Anyhow I asked because I hear these helmets are slightly on the narrow side.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sigh...tell me about it...but after you fall asleep in your contacts and get an eye infection....you kinda dont have a choice :no:

Ouch...sorry man that sucks

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have this helmet and shield combo and love it, the shield is with every dime. The helmet is the only one I have ever owned so I can't compare it to anything:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

of course im not 100% sure but the reviews on revzilla say it is more of a oval shaped lid rather than a circle. but im sure they have an indention to fit a pair.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well I got mine over the holidays and coming from then Icon Alliance 2.0 I'll say this: the RS-1 is fantastic. SO much quieter and more stable at speed and for the first time i can actually feeeeeel the venting on the head not just chin vents; there is a vent around the eyebrows as well. As for fit it is indeed a race oriented helmet; both are medium but the RS-1 is far more snug on the face (its also brand new so maybe after break in it will be slightly looser). Rumors about the glasses confirmed it is way too tight for that...contacts only when i'm wearing this lid and so I still rock the Icon when i'm lazy. The Icon also feels like it fits "deeper" on the head than the Bell but im not anymore exposed... I suppose the comfort liner on the bell is positioned differently.

Cliff's notes: RS-1 is lighter, quieter, more stable & cooler than my Icon Alliance 2. Has a race oriented fit. Chin guard, more refined visor mechanism (feels more solid) and visor change is ridiculously easy. Also the magnetic strap for the chin is a nice touch..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally got my RS-1!!! and after a little modification..........

it does have the solfx screen as well... my review, I love it. it does have a little noise but nothing unexpected.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts