Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up to the city today to the big stealership. I have a friend from work who's been looking to get back into riding. She's an older lady, late 40s, who hasent been on a bike in about 6 years. So we went out to look at used bikes at the big dealership. She wanted to look at the few 250 sport bikes they had. They had 2 2009 and 2011 ninja 250s and 1 2011 cbr 250. I was immediately suggesting the cbr because it was fuel injected and the ninjas were still carberated. I asked the salesmen to pull each one out of the packed warehouse. There had to been 300+ motorcycles in there, 50% of them were vintage and really nite to see. I guess owner of the dealership was a collector. So anyway will all the selected bikes pulled out, my friend began to sit on them to find the one that fit her best. Each one was a bit to tall for here, mind you she is very short. The cbr was much taller then the ninja so she was leaning more towards the ninja. Ninja was still a little tall for her, barley touching her tippy toes on the ground. I suggested that if she wanted it that I could lower it for her. I know a lot of you guys are against lowering bikes because it affects the handling and performance of the motorcyle. But this lady isn't going to be dragging knee or racing around. It would mainly be used for commuting and joy riding.

The price of the green 2009 ninja 250 I thought was a little high at $3700 out the door. But this is a dealership and that's what you get at a dealership instead of using craigslist or cycle trader. She does not have the option of paying cash for a bike. She has to finace the bike and I believe the dealership would be the best way to do this.

I only have one concern, she lives in an apartment complex with out a garage. Her bike would be sitting out in a parking lot vulnerable to theft. I'm not really to concerned with her ability to ride the bike. Usually the hardest part for new riders is learning how to correctly use the clutch and brakes. She already has experience with a motorcycle so it should come back to her.

Sorry for the long read, I'm very bored. I want to hear some of your thoughts.

·
Registered
999 Posts
That's a little high for that 250 but I'm sure any dealership is going to be the same.
Does she have access to getting a loan from a bank or maybe a local credit union?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what her credit score is, kind of a personal thing to ask. I didn't suggest going to a bank or credit union but I guess I could always suggest it. I just don't want her to get discourage. This lady deserves a bike, she has a heart of gold.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yeah that is a little personal lol. Couldn't hurt to try, if she could get a loan seems like she could have more shopping options. But if she really wants that specific one then paying a little much isn't bad. I'd rather pay a little more and get what I really want.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll ask her about it, she wants to pull the trigger on Friday. We actually went there looking for a Honda Grom but they were sold out. I guess the grom is the hardest bike to find right now. And you are right about having more options outside of a dealership. I had a 2008 ninja 250 a year ago and I only paid $2500 for it and it was mint. I'll have to talk to her and she what she can do.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The Groms look like sooooooooooo much fun!! Too bad they didn't have any!! lol
If she really wants that 250 then it will still be worth it :) But I wish her luck! Maybe someone else will chime in with any more advice at some point *crickets chirping*
:)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The grom does look like fun, the salesmen said he won't see another one until September. And thank you, I hope she does get a bike so she can have fun this summer... If it ever warms up.

·
Registered
999 Posts
That's not too surprising lol Those little buggers are selling like crazy all over.
If the weather would ever make up its mind then maybe everyone can do some riding. Even here in TX we are still getting weird cold fronts. When I got off work this morning it was below freezing, over the weekend it was 80 ???

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
The dealership WILL need to go to a bank to finance the bike for her... not sure why/ how the dealership is going to loan her the money. If she is willing to go through that, I bet she WILL have more choice and a better bet for a good rate if she went to a credit union.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was 75 up here yesterday. This morning I wake up to a blizzard. It's going to be a cold summer with Lake Erie being so frozen. Summer needs to hurry up.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealership WILL need to go to a bank to finance the bike for her... not sure why/ how the dealership is going to loan her the money. If she is willing to go through that, I bet she WILL have more choice and a better bet for a good rate if she went to a credit union.
You are probably right badger. I think the dealership works with a company called sheifield financial. That's who my loan went through when I bought my bike. I will have to shop around with her for the best option on getting a loan. Then there's the long process of finding a decent 250 on Craigslist. They sell really fast around here. I listed mine and sold it the next day. This was a year ago though. You really gotta keep an eye out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Tell her to get a personal loan from the bank, then go buy a cheaper one on craigslist or something. We picked up a super clean 2010 ninja 250 for my gf for $2200 with only 6k miles on it.

Reactions: ZxRican

·
Registered
999 Posts
Lol yeah flipping bi-polar weather!! There's a lot of dealers who have their own financial means now. When I financed my car I got a better deal financing through the dealerships "people." Of course after a few years the credit union saved me around $50ish bucks a payment with no extension on my payoff :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tell her to get a personal loan from the bank, then go buy a cheaper one on craigslist or something. We picked up a super clean 2010 ninja 250 for my gf for $2200 with only 6k miles on it.
I'm going to start searching craigslist next time I see her ill talk to here about getting a personal loan. You got a screaming deal on that 2010.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Dont forget that the pre 2008 ninja 250 used 16 inch hoops and really makes a difference with some short statured riders that need to get comfy with their rides.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts