Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a two-year saga that I just cannot solve. A couple of years ago I installed a Bazzaz Z-FI on my ’07 ZX6R Track Bike. The bike worked great for the first couple of track days. But then the engine started cutting out and losing power at around 10k rpm.

I thought it might be a mapping problem so I purchased and installed an AFM and oxygen sensor. It wouldn’t map and record my air fuel ratios because the Z-FI quit reading throttle position when the engine was running (it would read throttle position when the engine was off). It read AFR’s at first, just wouldn’t record on the map.

I removed the Z-FI and AFM and resorted to the stock ECU and did a track day. The bike worked flawlessly, other than performance wasn’t as good as when the Z-FI was working properly. I reinstalled the Z-FI and AFM. I tested the TPS and ECU for voltage, resistance, and ground. Everything checked out so I contacted Bazzaz technical support. They had me send the Z-FI to the factory for testing. They couldn’t reproduce the issue of not reading throttle position with engine running so they sent back the Z-FI along with a new wiring harness.

I reinstalled the Z-FI and new wiring harness. Still didn’t read throttle position, and then the AFM quit reading air fuel ratio! I retested the TPS and ECU. The shop manual indicated that the ECU would need to be replaced if problems still persisted after TPS was found to be ok. I replaced the ECU and still had the problem.

I contacted technical support again. This time they sent me a new Z-FI. I installed the new Z-FI. Throttle position “kind of works”, meaning it reads when accelerating fast but not when accelerating slow and steady. Air fuel ratio still not reading.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. I’m about ready to scrap the Bazzaz gear and return to stock setup. Maybe get the stock ECU flashed. I’m wondering if there is anyone else out there that has seen or heard of this problem. Maybe give me some other ideas to check out?

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Where are you tapped in for power and ground on the Z-Fi harness?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good observation, sounds like an INTERMITTANT problem. The spike wire taps have always made me wonder if the connection was good or NOT.
Double check all the lines, and make sure you are tapped in correctly. Not trying to sound dumb, but after you installed it, did you get a tune or did you just piece together a map prior to buying your ZAFM?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for getting suggestions for items to check. The power is tapped into the red / blue wire coming out of the 6 pin connector from the right switch housing. The ground is bolted to the main frame where the sub frame attaches to it. The original wiring harness came with scotchlock connectors. The new wiring harness came with spike wire taps. So now the wires are tapped with both an unused scotchlock and a spike wire tap.

After the replies that you guys gave me, I'm thinking about removing the taps and make soldered connections directly from the wiring harness to the bikes wires. Do you think this problem sounds like a wire connection problem?

Also, when I first installed the ZFI I used a map that I downloaded from the Bazzaz website Fuel Map Database that matched my bikes parameters - Two Brothers Slip on and K&N Air Filter.

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
Fwiw, I'm not a fan of using the aluminum frame for grounding electrical components. Much better to ensure both the + & - face the same resistance in the path back to the battery.

Copper wire, a steel screw, and the aluminum frame make a battery as soon as moisture gets involved...... The corrosion that will form has more resistance, and will cause all sorts of odd behavior.

If you have to go to the subframe for ground make sure to weatherproof the connection, after you take it apart and clean it up.....

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Thanks everyone for getting suggestions for items to check. The power is tapped into the red / blue wire coming out of the 6 pin connector from the right switch housing. The ground is bolted to the main frame where the sub frame attaches to it. The original wiring harness came with scotchlock connectors. The new wiring harness came with spike wire taps. So now the wires are tapped with both an unused scotchlock and a spike wire tap.

After the replies that you guys gave me, I'm thinking about removing the taps and make soldered connections directly from the wiring harness to the bikes wires. Do you think this problem sounds like a wire connection problem?

Also, when I first installed the ZFI I used a map that I downloaded from the Bazzaz website Fuel Map Database that matched my bikes parameters - Two Brothers Slip on and K&N Air Filter.
Soldering the connections in is a good idea, and I would also recommend securing the bazzaz ground lug directly to the battery negative terminal. Going directly the the battery for ground, has in my experience, eliminated issues such as these in the past.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will relocate the ground to the negative battery terminal and also solder the wire harness connections directly to the bikes wiring. If the solution is this simple I am going to kick myself for going through this “saga”!

Do you think that will get the oxygen sensor working again?

Unfortunately I am out of town through the weekend so I can’t work on it until next week. I will be sure to post the results here as soon as I know. I really appreciate the expert advise!

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
13,880 Posts
Also, you can ground to engine block. There's a lug that goes right to battery negative. I prefer it to making an octopus out of the battery terminals.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hope you figure out your problem. I would also recommend having someone check your map. I couldn't tell the difference because I had mine tuned and know nothing about them, but I'm sure some guys here would tell you if something seems off. I have been looking through some uploaded maps for my GSXR and at the end of the day, am taking the bike to the guy wo did my ZX6R. I came to this conclusion by looking at a few maps in the database and seeing how different they were from one bike to the next.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I connected the ground directly to the negative battery terminal just to see temporarily if that would fix the problems. The TPS seems to be working better but the AFM air/fuel sensor is sending a steady 16.5 air fuel ratio to the self mapping software. Unless someone out there has an idea of other things to try, I’m going to contact tech support at bazzaz again to see if they have an idea or a test I can run on the air/fuel sensor. Thanks for the suggestions. In the meantime I’ll also solder in the wire harness connections into the bikes wiring. Again, I’ll keep you posted as this progresses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts