Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 zx6r that's been sitting for over 2 years without starting. The battery tested at .4 volts when i took it out, and when I hooked up jumpers cables from booster battery to reinstalled old battery, without trying to start it (and i can't because there's no fuel in there), it reads 12.06 volts, and the electronics seem to come on.

I'm trying to decide whether to replace battery or try to salvage it. The one I'm considering getting is a Firepower brand which would cost $35-42. I'm gonna have someone help me get this thing started so I want the battery to work well he arrives. So should I just get firepower battery or try to salvage old battery? What would happen if I try to start at 12.06v when hooked up to booster battery (assuming I have gas in tank)?

Any advise and help is appreciated.

·
Registered
13,293 Posts
If the battery was completely discharged for over two years, I'd toss it.

Take the fuel tank off the bike and dump whatever is in there. You should flush it out. Varnish and rust will clog the pump filter and cause more issues than you may have now.

It wouldn't hurt to change the oil, just so you know where you're starting from.

While you have the tank off, check the air filter and air box. Rodents like to nest in places like that.

How does the chain look?

Tires?

Brake fluid?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna flush out fluid tomorrow or so. Tires and chain may need replacing.

Are you saying that .4v isn't completely discharged?

·
Registered
13,293 Posts
Correct. When left completely discharged, the battery chemistry continues to act on the plates. When the sulphur in the acid bonds to the plates it gets progressively harder to put a charge into the battery, or use what is stored.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alrighty, I guess I'll get rid of old battery. When you initially said "completely discharged," I wasn't sure if you meant 0 volts or, in my case, .4 volts (12.06v when it was hooked up to booster battery without trying to start it). At what voltage is a battery considered completely discharged anyway?

·
Registered
13,293 Posts
A fully charged healthy battery will read 12.3-12.4 vdc at rest.

voltage is a poor way to check battery health. A load test tells the tale. If you want to confirm it’s shot, take the battery to an auto parts store and get it tested. Free

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
actually 12.5v is a half charged battery, only about 50% of its original capacity

A new battery properly filled, cooled then charged and rested for atleast 24hrs should easily read 12.8V or more

OP.......... buy a new battery and properly recycle the old battery! there is no doubt and no question that battery with the .4v is junk and will never work!

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
111 Posts
The only thing that will save that battery [if savable] is a battery tender pro. EVERYONE needs a battery tender pro. Buy one, you need it. dissconnect battery from the bike and plug it into the battery tender. if the battery voltage can be raised above 12.6v the battery tender will do it...might take 6 hr. dissconnect..let the battery sit for 20minish check voltage. if it's still 12.6v try and use it...but Yiu should BUY new battery. and you can keep that new battery in good shape with you new battery tender now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would dissagre with battery voltage at 12.4 v being usable. from my 03 zx6r manual...

Criteria Judgement
12.6 V or higher Good
12.0 ∼ 12.6 V or lower Charge insufficient → Recharge
12.0 V or lower Unserviceable → Replace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts