Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i need to change the batter on my kawasaki zx-6r 98 where is it located? and is it safe to jump it with a car battery? thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
its under the riders seat.

just remove the pillon seat and toward the front of the area under the pillon seat, in the center you should see a small black bolt holding a little black bracket - undo this and pull the bracket out and the riders seat should then just lift off

·
Registered
55 Posts
oh and you can jump off a car battery but be carefull as it doesnt do bike battery's or electrics much good, its best to do it without the car engine running too

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i found it, the battery is faily new so i dont know if i should buy a new one can i push start the bike let the battery fill up and then will it be OK?

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
put it on the battery charger if you have 1??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey i jumped the battery from the car, i actually got the bike to run for the first time in 2 weeks, the choke was on all the way, when i went to go ride the bike i put the choke off and the bike automatically shut down, its really cold here... but i let the bike warm up for a good 10 minutes i jumped it a total of 3 times and the same thing happens every time it shuts off when i put the choke off, and now when i try to jump it nothing happens it downs start theres just a clicking sound when i try to turn the bike on. if someone could tell me what is going on it would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
sounds like you have now completely flattened the battery and you cant jump a completely flat battery so thats what causing the clicking sound. also if the battery is that low it will struggle to power the coils. you need to charge the battery up and then try again. but make sure the bike has some fresh fuel next time and you might even need to give the carbs a clean if its been sitting a while

·
Registered
604 Posts
buy a new battery....and enjoy....

·
Registered
91 Posts
hey i jumped the battery from the car, i actually got the bike to run for the first time in 2 weeks, the choke was on all the way, when i went to go ride the bike i put the choke off and the bike automatically shut down, its really cold here... but i let the bike warm up for a good 10 minutes i jumped it a total of 3 times and the same thing happens every time it shuts off when i put the choke off, and now when i try to jump it nothing happens it downs start theres just a clicking sound when i try to turn the bike on. if someone could tell me what is going on it would be great, thanks!
i dont know much in the mechanics area but the little i do know tells me that something besides the battery could be screwed up... ive had my battery die while the bike was running and yes the bike shuts off but it doesnt sound like your bike is shutting off cause the battery is dying, but rather when you turn the choke off... i dont know much about carbs and carb maintenence and i was ecstatic to learn that my bike is FI (which i didnt know until recently) but i definitely would consider the carbs possibly being the cause of your problems...

·
Registered
604 Posts
not sure of the technical jargon, I just wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, well i bought a new battery today (it was 125$) so yeah i put it in and nothing the lights dont even turn on, the batter was charged to 11 volts and the bike need sit at 12, could that be the prob? so when i put the old batter in it turns the lights on but it just wont turn over. any suggestions

·
Registered
91 Posts
ok, well i bought a new battery today (it was 125$) so yeah i put it in and nothing the lights dont even turn on, the batter was charged to 11 volts and the bike need sit at 12, could that be the prob? so when i put the old batter in it turns the lights on but it just wont turn over. any suggestions
stumped... but thats not saying much good luck

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
take the battery back some times ya get a dud battery..

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
12.8V is good for a battery.

Buy a charger too, even better, buy a battery tender that is designed to be left on. Even a new battery should be charged before being put into service.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yeah, tried to start mine this weekend and nothing....had an battery tender so I cut off the aligator clips on the end, spliced oring ends on, put them on the battery terminals and left the plug connector just hanging out a bit on the left side. Now, when it's up on the stands, I just plug her in to the battery tender and each time I go to start it, she starts right up. Very convenient.

Don't need this setup during the warmer months, but for the colder times, it works just great. Have the same setup for my Polaris ATP 500 quad, which has to be working at a moments notice for those snow plowing times....

Have fun and stay safe.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts