Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I was going to take a road trip over Christmas on my Zx-6r and I was heading from north to south Florida. To begin I had noticed my push start every once in a while was a bit choppy every once in a while. I made it about 2 hours form tally and stopped for food, came back out and it wouldn't start. It just clicks once. I know I should assume battery, but I don't understand why I couldn't jump it off of a car and have enough "juice" for the relay to spark it. I have had 3 bikes and normally don't work on them myself because I feel like 2 wheels I go really fast on and I should let someone who is sure work on it. So my concerns are why was I able to run start it and drive 2 more hours with absolutely no problem whats so ever. I just can't start it from the button. Does that really indicate the battery? (I hope so) It clicks once and then thats it. Every time I push the button again it will click in what I assume is the relay. My knowledge of cars would lead me to believe it was the alternator function that stopped charging my battery since I can drive it for soooo long with no problem as long as I dont shut it. My obvious problem is it's Christmas. I can't obviously go buy a battery and test my luck on that since nothing is open. I also cleaned all the connections from any corrosion and tightened the connections I could get to. I also have no light function until I try to start the bike the first time after turning the key, then the light goes on, not sure if that indicates something. But I have run started it twice and I guess am hoping it's not the starter or something that pricey. NO I AM NOT DRIVING IT STILL ON THE ROAD TRIP FROM A JUMP START. HAHA I have stopped to fix the problem first. Thank ahead of time to anyone that can help.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Sounds like the battery, My bike is also an 07, With the original battery.
I just had it off the bike a few days ago as it was starting to sound a bit weak.

Its a sealed job, But its easy to pop the top & check, I found every cell nearly dry.
I made some distilled water, Refilled it & charged it.

Now I'm just waiting for a decent day to ride.

If your cells are dry, Filling it with Distilled water will help prolong its life.
Just be sure its distilled, Tap water will fuck it up.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Its a sealed job, But its easy to pop the top & check, I found every cell nearly dry.

If your cells are dry, Filling it with Distilled water will help prolong its life.
Just be sure its distilled, Tap water will fuck it up.
^^ +1

Once you've filled it up with distilled water, take her out on the hwy for at least 15 mins so that it can hopefully convert the water into electrolite.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My knowledge of cars would lead me to believe it was the alternator function that stopped charging my battery since I can drive it for soooo long with no problem as long as I dont shut it.
Think it's the other way around, if your charging system is working then you can run no problem with a dead battery as long as the engine is running.
(as long as it is not an open circuit fault with the battery then no hope)

Sounds very likely to be a battery that can not it's charge, do what the other guys have said first and check the cells are not dry.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts