Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last weekend I pulled the seats off and raised the tank. &$#@% mouse nest unoccupied on battery. I removed it And checked for damage to wires etc. Supposedly peppermint oil deters them so I have cotton balls stuck in places ... smells minty fresh.

It sounded weak on startup but fired up. I hooked it up to the battery charger since it had been sitting. After it charged up I Turned key on and let it sit like 5 minutes with the lights on hooked up multimeter and 11.94 ... cranked it dropped to 10.95 ... started 14.13 and up .

Still good or replace? I bought the 2013 in 2015 leftover so I assume it’s 5-7 years old.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
I wonder how micr even crawl up onto a motorcycle. Do they climb up the kickstand or the wheels? 🤔

Anyway, if the battery is still able to start the bike then I would consider it OK.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah It starts fine.

I would assume climb up whatever they can. I have a building in the back of my land I used to store it in but same thing random field mice. In the past it was usually under the rear seat if they moved in. The registration & insurance card would look like it was ran through a shredder.

·
Registered
12,907 Posts
The charging system numbers seem fine. Mine gave me hints when the battery was on it's last legs, because it wouldn't hold the idle speed when it was cold.
When I had to increase idle speed with the knob to get it to run right cold, it would then 'hunt' and overshoot the correct speed when it was warmed up.

My guess is that the battery wasn't able to support the bike at the cold idle speed, before the alternator was spinning fast enough to provide the necessary power. Once I put a new battery in, all of that went away. My battery was at least 8 years old, when I replaced it. I'd have to search on here to find the thread, tbh if I wanted a date for when I did it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8 years is good. If I keep things 5 years they usually get a new battery at 5 . I have also noticed usually when I replace the battery on anything I get rid of it soon after ... not intentionally.

·
Registered
12,907 Posts
I'm waiting for a good excuse, myself. The next balancing point is whether I remain strong enough and flexible enough to keep riding the ZX. More open ergos sound better with every ride. Pushing myself to ride out a whole tank has proven mostly okay, so long as I can get off and walk around for a while after an hour.

Having ridden bikes from San Diego, to Portland OR in one shot many years ago, I know how much comfort plays into it. I honestly think that rear sets would probably make the ZX more comfortable. If my feet were further back, my hips would roll forward a bit, and my knee angle wouldn't be as tight.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need the demo truck to make it’s rounds. I want to try out a z900rs and the only place I know that does test rides is in PA.

Previous injuries and abuse limit my seat time now. I might need some grease fittings added.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Japanese brands, near zero chance of a test ride. Euro makes, more likely. Indian, seems like it's an everyday thing.
In Va yeah. In state college pa Indian, Kawasaki, Honda, suzuki are all options to ride. When I bought the current bike the guy said you can test whatever they sell. I said I’m glad there is no snow on the ground I want to ride a snowmobile.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I wonder how micr even crawl up onto a motorcycle. Do they climb up the kickstand or the wheels?

Anyway, if the battery is still able to start the bike then I would consider it OK.
The little fuckers can jump, they can get anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New battery every 5 years? That's a long time. Acid batteries kept failing me every 1-2 years so I switched to lithium.
3- 5 years seem normal at a minimum. I assume usage, climate, manufacturer , maintenance .

lithium gave you a weight reduction.

·
Registered
464 Posts
8 years is good. If I keep things 5 years they usually get a new battery at 5 . I have also noticed usually when I replace the battery on anything I get rid of it soon after ... not intentionally.

Thanks for the tip - on the way to the battery store for a new battery for my BMW!

In my experience if it has sat for a while and the battery cranks it, even if weak, it will be fine with regular riding. Most of my battery failures have been after running the battery flat, they will not recharge or if the vehicle is jumped off and driven for a while they will not restart the next day and the battery must be replaced. About a year ago my wife ran the battery down in her Smart car - wouldn't recharge. I remembered she had run the battery down a couple of year back and I bought a new battery but her battery kept doing well so new battery was put on shelf and forgotten about. Blew the dust off and charged it a bit and installed it - that was not fun. Think of maneuvering a full sized battery into place while laying on your side with you arms fully extended! It is a wiggle it into place operation. Good part is batteries last a very long time in that car.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the tip - on the way to the battery store for a new battery for my BMW!

In my experience if it has sat for a while and the battery cranks it, even if weak, it will be fine with regular riding. Most of my battery failures have been after running the battery flat, they will not recharge or if the vehicle is jumped off and driven for a while they will not restart the next day and the battery must be replaced. About a year ago my wife ran the battery down in her Smart car - wouldn't recharge. I remembered she had run the battery down a couple of year back and I bought a new battery but her battery kept doing well so new battery was put on shelf and forgotten about. Blew the dust off and charged it a bit and installed it - that was not fun. Think of maneuvering a full sized battery into place while laying on your side with you arms fully extended! It is a wiggle it into place operation. Good part is batteries last a very long time in that car.
car repairs usually result in blood loss.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So this little 💩 was in the bike again. I cleaned the chain and proceeded to wash the seasonal funk off. I see it bail out and take off running. I take it all apart and there is no nest in sight. I blew everything out with air and a small piece of foam comes from behind the cluster.... no nest.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
So this little 💩 was in the bike again. I cleaned the chain and proceeded to wash the seasonal funk off. I see it bail out and take off running. I take it all apart and there is no nest in sight. I blew everything out with air and a small piece of foam comes from behind the cluster.... no nest.
Its poison time!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts