Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 07 ZX6r for 2+ years and never changed the battery. I'm not sure how old the battery was prior to me purchasing the bike.

The bike always turned on no problem. I left for 3+ months without starting the bike because I was gone and left it on a tender. I came home and when I go to start her, it makes a clicking sound.

Does that mean the battery is dead? Is it just low juice? Should I replace it? Or would it be a starter problem?

If anybody can give me some insight into this problem that would be awesome!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Do you have access to a meter to check the voltage on the battery?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the bike or a meter right now.

The bike will be shipped down to me within the coming weeks. I was just trying to get a picture of what I should get to prep for the bike, so as soon as it comes down, I can fix it and have her to ride.

Haven't got a ride in since September 13. :headbang:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Harbor Freight for El Cheapo multimeter. (sometimes free with coupon)
13.5 volts or so, present battery is good.
Make sure your charger is 500mA (Bell)
or 750mA (BatteryTender Jr: Walmart $35.00, Ebay$24.00)

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
I've had my 07 ZX6r for 2+ years and never changed the battery. I'm not sure how old the battery was prior to me purchasing the bike.

The bike always turned on no problem. I left for 3+ months without starting the bike because I was gone and left it on a tender. I came home and when I go to start her, it makes a clicking sound.

Does that mean the battery is dead? Is it just low juice? Should I replace it? Or would it be a starter problem?

If anybody can give me some insight into this problem that would be awesome!
I'd go ahead and buy a new battery just for the peace of mind. If you want to spend some extra cash, get one of the ultra light batteries......:devious

·
Registered
97 Posts
The factory Yuasa battery is an excellent unit. With proper charging with a battery tender during the months of no use, these batteries should last 4 to 5 years. I just bought an interstate replacement, opened the box and it was a Yuasa with an Interstate sticker on it. That should tell you something. Paid $61. for it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good possibilty its the orginal battery....id replace it with a new one like some others had stated. For less than $100 you would have piece of mind when out riding.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Put the bike on the charge as soon as you get it, let it sit for 10 minutes, and with the charge still on, start the bike. Take the charger off, go for a ride, and you'll have enough juice for quick start-ups ;) That's what I do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all your replies and help. I think I will just buy a battery and swap it out. Peace of mind like many of you said. I'd have to end up replacing it sooner or later anyways, so why not sooner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to update

I got my bike to me on 25Mar

Swapped the battery today 27Mar

Waited an hour after installing and she fired right up! Thank you all for everything and your input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts