Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have an 06 636 and was wondering if there are any aftermarket options for installing bar mounts on the stock triple tree. I don't have the dough for getting a Hohey etc and wanted to know if anything exists that clamps / mounts onto the stock triple clamp. Would it be possible to clamp a fabbed up & bent steel plate that has the mounts welded on? Any other options I have?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@hehy the 05-06 636 triple clamp has a unique design. There is a triangular hole where the clamp rises midway towards the rider. This leaves the clamp without a flat spot to drill and tap. Filling in the triangular hole by weld build up affects the heat treat. It's pretty challenging to design a top plate that clamps strongly, for example the left side (from rider's POV) houses the ignition switch and there's hardly any room for the plate to "grab" the triple clamp from the top & bottom.

I have attached a few pics from ebay to show you what I mean.

@RJ2112 I plan to buy a second clamp to get the dimensions and start designing the plate. Ain't gonna be easy but I ain't quitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Right, been a while since I stared at my tripple clamp. You could Probably check what stunters are doing, there must be someone that has done exactly what you want to do now?

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
Handle bars don't put much of a load on the triple, compared to the fork legs.

Looking at your second E Bay photo, it looks like there are already two screw holes out near the tube clamps....drilling two more holes in the thickest part of the triple clamp, to accomodate two more holes to give you four mounting points for the plate shouldn't be too much load.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts