Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i'm basically planning out what protection (Gloves, boots, and pants) I'm planning on getting my self for the summer so if the time comes where I may go down, my ass is protected. Looking at prices and brands, I'm trying to determine what a considerable amount of money can be spent to ensure that I have adequate protection without going overboard. For example: The gloves that I have my mind set on are Dinasee Steel Core Carbon, which offer metal plating on the back of the wrist, carbon knuckles, and etc at $250. In comparison to the ICON TiMax TRX Long gloves, which offer similar features at fraction of the cost, $89.99 at revzilla. Sidi Vertigo Boots @ 300 vs sidi-st-air-boots @ 400.

I guess the better question should be, what should I spend no more than or less than on items? Or better yet, where is the line between Good/Excellent Protection and why the hell did you buy that (in terms of excessive-ness)? I really don't necessarily want to end up with $200-300 dollar pieces for everything, unless thats exactly what needs to be done. Lol, I certainly don't want to be flamed for having lets say race ready gear, but not going as fast as what the gear was meant for persay.

Lol, I'm not bitching persay. Just need some advice and guidance... I'm not made of money, but if thats what it takes, I'll find it...

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
All my gear is Icon, decent price and they do well to protect for a low cost. Only thing I will upgrade is boots because they don't make a full size boot.

My jacket: Icon Hooligan 2 Mesh-$180
My gloves: Icon Overlord Short-$90
My boots: Icon Tarmac-$120
My Helmet: Icon Freaky Tiki: $200

If you're looking for gloves I've got a pair of Large Icon Merc gauntlets for $60. Only worn three times, carbon knuckles, leather.

·
Registered
391 Posts
^^ What he said.

ICON seems like the best bang for your buck, IMHO.

·
Registered
97 Posts
+2 on the icon
just got my new leather motorhead jacket($290) and loving it, but need to find more cold weather oriented gloves and some decent riding boots, looking into shift for the boots

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Something is better than nothing ...
I have Icon leather motorhead 6 yrs old
Siding boots 4 years old
Held racing gloves 1 year old

I don't car what brand as long as I like it and the price is right for me...
my next boots will be sidi fusion @250

I ride street 100%

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
if you want to get some top gear and you have a budget...well ive done it before with one piece race suits .....looked on ebay done some homework and you can find some great bargains ....i picked up last year arlen ness one piece race suit £600 new .....got off ebay looks like its been used only a couple of times £240..... cant say better than that.............:)
there are bargains but if you are going new .....pop into some of the shops .....and see what deal you can get on the day.....its allways worth asking .....they will rather drop the price than loose a customer..........

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I'm guessing it all depends what kind of riding your going to be doing. For example if ur gonna be doing some track riding and u can only afford one pair of gloves you shouldn't buy a short glove because they won't let u ride at the track with those. Just keep in mind your riding stile and build from there. I really like the sidi st air because they don't flex, I really like how they have the outer frame so your ankle doesn't flex if you go down.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Browser at my second post, so i'll sum up the important points.

Thanks guys for posting gear and prices up. That helps influence my next decision.

I'm starting to think there's a catch 22 either way with what ever I buy and that right now i'm two caught up in the price hype.

I'll be riding street, canyon, and track this year so with that being said I should probably orient more so for the track and just eventually have different sets of gloves in the future.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i just picked up bilts 1piece suit, and trackstar boots for 330 shipped to my house from cycle gear. the only issue is the armor is a little subpar, but for like 30 dollars extra you can upgrade it and be set. from my one ride ive taken with it on, it breathes great, fits pretty good, better on my upper body then lower but it doesnt bunch up or itch. if your in a bind with money i would suggest taking a look at it

·
Registered
395 Posts
My gear:

Bell RS-1: $350

Teknic gloves: $50 (closeout deal)

Teknic boots: $100

Teknic 2 pc suit: $210 Bought (Pants for 100 jacket for 110 off craigslist

Teknic back protector: $50 off CL

I don't want to start a war here but Dainese A* Sidi and all the other expensive stuff isn't necessary for good protection. Other brands will offer you the same protection for a cheaper price it might just not look as cool.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
For gloves I will buy nothing else besides KNOX. Ive crash tested my gloves 5 times now and they're still holding up

KNOX Handroid Hand Armour Red from SportbikeTrackGear.com

When you start spending a ton of money on gear your paying more for features, how many times they can be crashed, looks, feel, ect... My $600 nexx carbon is probably no more protective then a HJC (well it probably is more protective) But my helmet is under 3lb, the lightest in the world

·
Registered
308 Posts
www.motorcyclecloseouts.com and some other discount sites have great deals.

I have found great deals on lightly used, top of the line gear on ebay and similar sites. Take your time and you will find the best gear at the lowest possible prices.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I love my a*gp-r jacket... Haven't had it long to ride in the summer but it flows a great amount of air where I needed a windproof layer under it b/c I would of died from hypothermia on the highway..

·
Registered
205 Posts
for me its not a question of how much should i spend, but how much can i afford NOT to spend to protect myself? Think of it this way, if something happened and you lost a hand or something, think of how that would effect your future working career? That being said, dont sacrifice on your extremeties, however i believe you can cut it a little cheaper for jacket/pants. They are more than likely to get torn in a crash (on the street), so they will be replaced if it happens. As long as you get a decent one youll be fine, dont worry about spending 500 on a jacket. Thats my opinion anyways, heres my gear

Helmet-Reevu helmet that no one on here has likely heard of, has a rearview integrated system, $500
Jacket- Icon TiMax 2, was on sale, $109
Pants- Shift Torque jeans with padded shorts, $60 + $40
Gloves- Knox Handroids, the coolest things ever with the absolute best protection, $225
Boots- Sidi ST, same protection of the vortice but easier on the street, $400

1 - 20 of 36 Posts