Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So my 03 zx6r's been getting really shitty mileage. it's been 28mpg, 29mpg, and now 25mpg. I've only filled up on chevron gas so its none of that shitty arco / 7 eleven gas. 15k tuneup has already been done and everything's in sync. I installed APE manual cct cuz the stock broke. The Bike's stock. I'm just wondering what other items might affect my mpg.

The mechanic told me to throw in some fuel cleaner/ additive/ etc... it's called "liquid horsepower". Hopefully that'll clean it up. I added a bottle in today and the engine's running a little more sluggish. Is that how an additive is suppose to work? Just curious. Thanks.

p.s. I'm pretty sure my sprockets are stock, but i'll double check in a little bit.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Did you follow the directions on the bottle, or dump the whole thing in? Those things are usually meant to be diluted in ~20 gal of gas, so if you dump it into 3-4 gal then it will cause it to run worse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got the little bottle's which is for 5 gallons. the '03 zx6r has a 4.8 gallon tank so i just dumped the whole thing in.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
was it a bike mechanic or a car mechanic that told you to dump the fuel system cleaner in? That stuff is a hoax and a half; when used as a maintenance item it's fine, but if you expect it to take care of years of neglect then you're sadly mistaken.

You could be getting poor mileage for a number of reasons. Your bike is running too rich, the hard part is to figure out why. Could be a leaking injector, could be a problem with air temp or pressure sensors, could be a pile of things. Do you have an FI light on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was it a bike mechanic or a car mechanic that told you to dump the fuel system cleaner in? That stuff is a hoax and a half; when used as a maintenance item it's fine, but if you expect it to take care of years of neglect then you're sadly mistaken.

You could be getting poor mileage for a number of reasons. Your bike is running too rich, the hard part is to figure out why. Could be a leaking injector, could be a problem with air temp or pressure sensors, could be a pile of things. Do you have an FI light on?
It was the bike mechanic. I brought it to stark bros (https://starkcycles.3dcartstores.com/index.html) to get it looked at. I just bought the bike, so if it was years of neglect, then damn this sucks.

THe FI light isn't on. The mechanic did whatever was on the 15k list for the 03 zx6r and everything turned out fine. There was a slight oil leak on the left of the engine gasket or something but I got that fixed. I saw it and it was just some oil buildup. The oil has been changed and new air filter installed. Actually, all the fluids have been changed. New spark plugs.

Also I had a question about the "choke" or the faster idling lever on the left handlebar. Is it on when i push it away from me or closer to me? I've driven with it both ways and the mileage hasn't changed so its not that.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
You know its going through your mind.
You know you want to say it.
You know, its right on the tip of your tongue.

But, you will need two bottles.
Makes your gixxer quixxer!

Also I had a question about the "choke" or the faster idling lever on the left handlebar. Is it on when i push it away from me or closer to me? I've driven with it both ways and the mileage hasn't changed so its not that.
It's a fast idler. It's on when it is pulled towards you.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's a back story there...You need to keep up!

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

The 03 is injected, right? Or is it carb'ed?
Were you getting the poor mileage before all the work was done?
Do you have a lack of power or hesitation?
that gixxer thread CANNOT be serious...that guy was there for a year and has over 2k posts...NO WAY he mistook the NOs drink for something he can use on his bike...but if he was serious...........PWN3d

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's a back story there...You need to keep up!

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

The 03 is injected, right? Or is it carb'ed?
Were you getting the poor mileage before all the work was done?
Do you have a lack of power or hesitation?
Haha i'll look into that. 03 is injected. I was getting poor mileage before the work. I thought the 15k would fix it, thinking it was something with the calibration here and there on the throttle body. I just went on a ride today and it performed fine. Nothing wrong.

I found out why my low fuel light was going on so quick. I didn't fill the tank completely, just to where the gas thing would stop so that explains it.

I'm trying "liquid horsepower" fuel additive to see if it cleans it. Whenever i put it in, my engine vibrates more, but I feel that I can accelerate quicker and that I have more power. I'm just a noob though so not sure how accurate my take on the additive is.

The mechanic said to do it 3 times (1 for each fill up) and I should start seeing increases in mileage. I did get an increase this time, but i'm not sure if its due to the additive or it actually working. I'll keep you guys posted after my fill up after 3rd bottle.

any ideas would be awesome :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Not sure how easy this is to do on bikes, but maybe it just has a ton of carbon build up around the valves?? Could go to a shop that cleans that kind of gunk out and see if it helps at all...I know a guy locally here in the Ft. Worth area that does it for cars, but that's no help if you don't live close by...

That cleaner you're putting in there now likely on cleans the injectors and nothing else...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Run the injector cleaner and see what happens. Personally, I will never put any of that crap in anything I own, but what you do is up to you.

The problem with the efi systems on bikes is that they don't run O2 sensors so there's no feedback to the ecu and you can't access any of the data to see what they're doing with the fuel control systems.

If the poor mileage continues, I would check proper signal voltage from the MAP, TPS, and ECT sensors. Those sensors will cause the engine to run rich under certain conditions, and if they do not provide an accurate reading to the ECU then it will not provide the proper amount of fuel for the current conditions; and will usually er on the side of rich, since lean burns holes in pistons and valves while rich just wastes gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the fuel cleaners were completely useless. I called another bike shop and I'm going to take it to get it diagnosed next week. I'm pretty sure its running rich because I smell gas sometimes at stop lights and my friends who follow me do too.

I talked to the technician and he said that he'll start with the fuel pump regulator, measure the air to fuel ratio when its idling and under load, and measure the rail pressure during idle and load.

Since the FI light won't come on for badly mixed air to fuel ratios, i'm sure that's gotta be it. I will update you guys after the diag.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
So the fuel cleaners were completely useless.
Toldja so.

Tell him to check for a leaky injector too. He can do it pretty easily while he's checking fuel pressure: connect fuel pressure gauge to fuel rail, cycle key on to prime the system, then let it sit for two minutes or so. If the pressure drops, you have either a leaking regulator or injector.

The sensors I mentioned a few posts up will also cause the engine to run rich, but your tech should know that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Toldja so.

Tell him to check for a leaky injector too. He can do it pretty easily while he's checking fuel pressure: connect fuel pressure gauge to fuel rail, cycle key on to prime the system, then let it sit for two minutes or so. If the pressure drops, you have either a leaking regulator or injector.

The sensors I mentioned a few posts up will also cause the engine to run rich, but your tech should know that.
So I brought it to the shop and there was nothing wrong with it really. He said that the gas smelt bad so he drained it and put in new gas. The chain was a bit too tight and he loosened it back to factory spec. Also the spark plugs had some residue on the tips which were probably from the fuel additive so he changed that as well. That was all they found and I'll have to ride around a bit to see if it fixed it or not. I"ll update as soon as i find out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts