Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what backpack all of you use when you ride? I am looking for a new one and want some suggestions!

·
Registered
311 Posts
my addvice is get a cargo net or tank bag its far more comfortable then have a monkey hanging on your back, less drag and you can move a lot more freely.

if you wanna wear a backpack make sure it has a chest strap.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I was wondering what backpack all of you use when you ride? I am looking for a new one and want some suggestions!
I use one all the time.
Ive got about 3 that I use. It all depends on what Im taking/getting.

You need to find one that fits your needs and comfort.
It took me a long time and a lot of back packs.
If they did not work out for me I give em away to the neighborhood kids.
My favorite is an old JanSport. Ill use it most of the time even with small stuff.
Its comfortable and fits well.
Ive never had a back pack so big that I felt like I was getting dragged.

There is a lot of pros/cons on back packs that all sound well and fine
in each ones opinion, so it will be totally up to you.
The BEST advice I could give is, never carry something you dont
want to have removed from out of you by a trained professional.

Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I use a really nice Samsonite because it has a seperate compartment for my laptop and the straps are thick and plush so that your arms don't get numb when carrying heavy loads.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I just use a little Billabong one. Never had a problem with it flapping around or moving. Ride with it all the time, it's my security blanket.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have a big green one and a little red one, both from REI and by Eagle Creak IIRC. Work well enough and I never thought they were a bother till I tried using a top box instead. Now I can't stand to wear the backpack:)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I used to wear a back pack daily when I had to commute, but it annoyed the crap out of me so I went to a rack and bag set-up, and now just a magnetic tank bag.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i have a NIKE sport bag..one of those small ones with ropes for straps, ya know?

·
Registered
71 Posts
IMHO, as long as the straps are about 2" wide, any bag is just fine. With heavier loads, loosen the straps so that the bag rests just about on the rear seat so your shoulders don't get tired. I have never clipped the bag round my front. I guess a sleek bag should have less drag, but we're not talking about track times here.
Whatever bag you use, ALWAYS put clothes in a plastic bag first just in case it rains. Your bag doesn't need to soaking wet, but the clothes will just draw the water into them. That's not too bad, but you get an awful stain on them from the dirt on what you thought was the outside of the bag. Have learnt this lesson the hard way! Have recently washed said bag and sprayed some waterproofing stuff on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It took me a while to find a comfortable back pack, i bought alot of 'riding specific' packs designed for the sport rider, most were bulky and cumbersome and created sooo much drag.. i dont care for tank and tail bags on my 636 either, i've always been a backpack guy.. so one day i threw on my climbing pack and holy crap it was perfect! i pretty much ride with it everytime im out. its a Black Diamond Sidewinder 30-liter pack, all black. designed for climbing and cragging so its incredibly streamlined with your spine, its intended to hug and not restrain. i love it. i can easily fit everything needed for a weekend tour, from extra clothes to food and drink, electronics, whatever.. waist and sternum strap, both removable but i feel they're needed. i highly recommend. (btw, no affiliation w/ black diamond whatsoever, this aint a plug! just a happy consumer)
see pack:
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/sidewinder.php

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I used to wear a back pack daily when I had to commute, but it annoyed the crap out of me so I went to a rack and bag set-up, and now just a magnetic tank bag.
Do you find the wind blows up in your face when you have a tankbag on? Does anyone else? I can't ride with my tankbag on long distances because the wind channels up off it and wobbles my head from side to side. Gives me the utter shits. Never had this problem on my old bike, just this one.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
No problems with it at all Kylie, it lives in a dead air zone on the GSXR, did on the TL too. Even with it fully expanded and loaded it doesn,t affect air flow :dunno

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
:stupid

No problems here either with wind and a tank bag, of course steve and I are probably a scosh taller than you:laugh If I use both sections of my tank bag (it zips in half, well more like 1/3 and 2/3rds sections) its tall enough that I can't tuck in very well, but still no wind issues.

Here's the "I won't be home for a week and will be doing 1k miles a day" setup

The "lets go skiing" setup

And the urban commuter - note, if I weren't moving to the city I'd put an extra top box mount on the TL and use it there too. Its the most handy thing, can't recomend one enough:clap

·
Registered
109 Posts
The only time I wear my backpack is if I need to carry something home like my computer or go to the store, etc. I have a Camelback backpack - so it doubles as hydration on longer rides. Darn hot to have on my back in the summer though - 117 in AZ makes for fun.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i use a joe rocket backpack.. imo it was well worth a 100 bucks. i've had my laptop, dig. cam., and lunch in there and didn't feel much of the weight on me. the weight gets distributed real nicely and its got room for your helmet when you need to pack in. http://www.joerocket.com/products/productJR.cfm?products_id=873
How much stuff can that packpack hold while the helmet is in it? It doesnt look that big, and I need something to put a bunch of books in for college.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts