Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on my graves and noticed there is a lot of "after fire"/"back fire" when riding. Mostly on low rpms and when downshifting. I read a few threads about this and there seems to be no consent or a straight answer if I should worry about this?
Blockers? Retune stock computer? Get a new pc? Leave it? :O

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just put on my graves and noticed there is a lot of "after fire"/"back fire" when riding. Mostly on low rpms and when downshifting. I read a few threads about this and there seems to be no consent or a straight answer if I should worry about this?
I have a Graves slip-on on my bike and for what it's worth, when letting off the throttle it does "crackle" a bit but not really back firing. It's a pretty free flowing system but I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
If it's just a slip on then do the block off plates and it should kill the popping/afterfire on decal. And might as well remove ALL the smog shit at that point too. :O

If it's a full system and you haven't added a fuel management system to the mix then make that happen.

·
Registered
879 Posts
block off plates and a tune will remove most of the backfiring. i also have a graves slip on + gutted headers.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Sounds like everyone said pretty much what I was gonna say.

Keep it alive with the Graves and get their block-off plates. If the problem still persist, get a PCV or a Bazzaz and richin it up.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Consensus?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
This is one of the main differences between slip-on vs. full system. Installing a full system necessitates also installing block off plates and either getting a dyno tune or ecu flash or installing a fuel controller. Without all of this your air/fuel mixture will be way off and your bike won't run right.

Basically you just opened up a money pit for yourself by installing that full system =P

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Consensus?
Yea, thanks :)

This is one of the main differences between slip-on vs. full system. Installing a full system necessitates also installing block off plates and either getting a dyno tune or ecu flash or installing a fuel controller. Without all of this your air/fuel mixture will be way off and your bike won't run right.

Basically you just opened up a money pit for yourself by installing that full system =P
Slip on

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I love the sound it makes when it backfires, kind of miss it. But I do hear it once in a while and brings a smile...

M

·
0 Posts
Backfiring is normal without a PCV or some form of tuner but backfiring sounds cool. It's nothing bad really. It's just fuel igniting inside the exhaust on its way out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts