Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering swapping my j tail with that of a b. Is there any chance of bolting up the b subframe to a j frame as a straight swap? I know there is a how to thread on this subject but using my j subframe would mean fabricating a couple of brackets which i would like to avoid. The b frame is narrower but would some spacers on the bolts do the trick?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
i have done both routes ,i first used j2 rear subframe ,it was a nice simple task,the j frame is allot easier to do by far,using the b1h frame doesn't bolt straight in ,i have had mine modified to fit my j frame ,if you know a welder who can weld it all up then is an easy job i'm in the hgv commercial truck trade so its all a piece of piss for me as i have friends in all theses trades.the reason i went b1h route was i wanted to fit the b1h battery box as well and wanted to plate the outer part of frame aswell so that's the only reason i went down this route ,if you are happy with the j battery box i would use the j subframe look for scoobs thred he done a good write up on it ,i used his thread

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have done both routes ,i first used j2 rear subframe ,it was a nice simple task,the j frame is allot easier to do by far,using the b1h frame doesn't bolt straight in ,i have had mine modified to fit my j frame ,if you know a welder who can weld it all up then is an easy job i'm in the hgv commercial truck trade so its all a piece of piss for me as i have friends in all theses trades.the reason i went b1h route was i wanted to fit the b1h battery box as well and wanted to plate the outer part of frame aswell so that's the only reason i went down this route ,if you are happy with the j battery box i would use the j subframe look for scoobs thred he done a good write up on it ,i used his thread
what's the difference between the battery boxes as i've never took notice? So with the b subframe i would also need the b battery box right? another thing as you seem to know a thing or two about this mod, is there any chance i could use my j front seat? From some pics i ve seen the difference between the seats is how they line up with the fairing at the rear.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
the b1h battery box runs all under subframe all flush with the seat frame, the j series hangs out the bottom of it which i didn't like ,down to preference really,the seat is a bit of a mod as well,but is worth doing as they look shit with b1h seat as they dont follow tank line ,i used the front part of my seat j series and the rear of b1h seat and bonded together have a look at scoobs thread ,thats the one i followed,there aint much work to use j seat frame there is no welding involved jast brackets and a bit of chopping,i have just finished my b1h seat subframe project this week i only need to get seat unit sprayed then done,i have some pictures of the b1h subframe all modified and cut /welded if you do need any pics let me know ,but i will say the j frame is easier to do than the b frame

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
use the search function and you will have your answers

http://zx6r.com/build-thread/49129-b-j-rear-seat-unit.html
thanks mark. I'm still in two minds about what to do. Initially i was searching for a j seat cowl on ebay but the seller doesn't post to my country. Then i found the targa one which is four times as the first one. On the other hand the b tail mod would cost only a bit more than the targa cowl but is less hassle.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
will you be taking anyone on the back ?as a race seat is sometimes cheaper ,them seat cowls can be pricey, my first race seat i bought i think it was £120 that was for the j series ,i just bought an b1h race seat for £70 its a thick product as well really impressed with it ,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will you be taking anyone on the back ?as a race seat is sometimes cheaper ,them seat cowls can be pricey, my first race seat i bought i think it was £120 that was for the j series ,i just bought an b1h race seat for £70 its a thick product as well really impressed with it ,
i'm not taking anyone on the back. I took the missus once but she found it too scary for a second ride. The targa is 166 euros shipped and a chinese b fairing complete with undertray, the seat cowl and integrated led rear light add up to around 180 euros.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
yeh that is a bastard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts