Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. 2016 zx6r

I know that they come equipped with a slipper clutch, but are there any auto blippers available for our bikes?

I'm comfortable blipping on downshifts, but I'd like to focus more on my lines and body positioning than anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. Need ride-by-wire throttle.

The slipper clutch works well though.
Bit late because i was busy doing my research.

Turns out there is a solution for conventional cable operated throttles , made by DBS. I've been in contact with them and they've even shared a vid of the blipper in action. No idea how to post a vid, but you can youtube it if you're interested : matteo ciprietti tests pro shift DBS on zx6-RR

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Bit late because i was busy doing my research.

Turns out there is a solution for conventional cable operated throttles , made by DBS. I've been in contact with them and they've even shared a vid of the blipper in action. No idea how to post a vid, but you can youtube it if you're interested : matteo ciprietti tests pro shift DBS on zx6-RR
Nice. I'm going to look into it. I'll buy it if it works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Straight from DBS it's about $1,250. Ordering one today. Don't order from Ebay as Proshift themselves will set it up specifically for your bike before shipping it off.

Copying some of the emails we exchanged here:

Thank you for your enquiry, we make a stand-alone bespoke DBS™ (Downshift Blipping System) for the ZX6-R as you have identified your bike has Conventional Cable Operated Throttles so we make a replacement “idle screw” on a ferrule that is joined to our Remote Cable Blipper which is the same as I use on my TT race bike this is adjustable for travel however you should find the factory setting fine.

The Pro-Shift DBS™ is completely stand-alone so it does not matter what ECU you use this will be unaffected by our blipper, I have attached a document that explains the DBS™ in a little more detail so please read through it and I will be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Further to that I thought that you might like to see and hear the DBS™ in action so click on the link below to view

Clip / Pro-Shift DBS™ (Downshift Blipping System) on WSS Kawasaki ZX6-RR at Misano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuBX0wHADBA

The Pro-Shift ZX6-R DBS™ is £999GBP
We will set the DBS™ up for you before shipping I would doubt it needs any adjustment for “on time” & throttle opening as we have done many ZX6-R’s the nature of our DBS™ is that it scales the blips naturally because at higher RPM the inlet mixture is travelling faster (more blip) and the opposite at low RPM (less blip) so I do not feel you will need to adjust it for street and track use.

And here's a copy fo the document they attached:

The Pro-Shift DBS™ Downshift Blipping
System
Pro-Shift Superbike DBS™
Downshift Blipping System

Designed for Superbikes, Supersport & Supertourers
Uniquely available for DBW or Cable Throttles

Developed for the Isle of Man TT, the Pro-Shift DBS™ is designed to provide super-fast
seamless clutchless downshifts, this unique system is equally capable on the latest
Superbikes with DBW (Drive By Wire) throttles or more conventional Cable operated
throttles as we manufacture blipping solutions for both. The DBS™ main features are;
 Incorporating a fully adjustable Proximity Sensing “Magic Eye” specifically
designed to “see” gearlever movement which then triggers the DBS™ GCU
(Gearshift Control Unit) to provide the downshift throttle blips. The whole ethos of this
revolutionary operating method is to provide No Gearbox Load on downshifts, this in
turn gives far faster more accurate Seamless Clutchless Downshifts whilst avoiding
unnecessary gearbox damage, this is why we will not use the common load cells
 DBS™ GCU (Gearshift Control Unit) features fully adjustable blipper “on times”
allowing you to “tune” the system to your own personal riding style
 All Pro-Shift DBS™ Electronic & Electro-Mechanical Remote Cable Blippers are
adjustable for throttle opening percentages
 Bespoke DBS™ Electronic Throttle Blipper Drive Modules for DBW (Drive By
Wire) throttles, we manufacture bike specific fully adjustable super-fast electronic
“blips” again giving the desired Seamless Clutchless Downshifts.
Available for 2 Channel & 4 Channel throttle configurations
 DBS™ for Conventional Cable Operated Throttles, these require our Patent
Pending Remote Cable Blipper which includes idle screw replacement ferrule
ideally suited to Superbikes with limited space the “RCB” makes installation quick &
simple. This lightweight ultra-fast acting downshift throttle blipper uses our in house
designed blipper solenoid which provides ultra-fast clutchless downshifts, typical “on
times” of around 50mS providing multiple Seamless Clutchless Downshifts
 Fully Stand-Alone 12 Volt Operation works with any ECU or fueling system,
absolutely no requirement to power the throttle blipper externally via ECU or similar

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
That's cool but not $1400 cool. I guess if you're a serious racer and make a living from it then it'd be worth benefitting from the time it could save in laps but I would think the time savings is minimal compared to using the clutch.

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
If Moto2 guys can use the clutch to downshift I guess I will save my money too lol.

Looks really cool but I wouldn't spend that much on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If Moto2 guys can use the clutch to downshift I guess I will save my money too lol.

Looks really cool but I wouldn't spend that much on it.
It's not just about being faster for me, although that's def a thing. The way i see it, there are several other advantages. A perfect blip settles the bike, which is not only faster, but safer as well. Not having to use the clutch is pretty awesome tbh. Combined with a QS and you have clutchless up and downshifting.

Yeah it's expensive, but that's how supply and demand works. They have no competitors, and this really isn't their bread and butter anyway. They make even more sophisticated stuff from what i've seen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was there really a need for that? You'll make it past minimum wage one day, so don't get too upset over silly issues
You must have a higher minimum than mine.

If it floats your boat, have at it.

I don't have carbon fiber wheels either.
My point was that your post was a bit harsh.

I don't have CF wherls either, but they're not as useful to me as something like that. It's all really personal preference

·
Director of Moderation
7,728 Posts
Auto-blippers are cool. I don't think they're useful enough to make them worth the money unless they come stock on the bike, but they are pretty damn cool. I've only ever ridden one bike that had auto-blipper, and it was a stock Ducati 1299S when those came out. It was nice to have, but to be honest it wasn't as smooth as I thought it'd be. I was much smoother on my downshifts when using the clutch, plus the clutch gives you more control whereas the auto-blipper is what it is. It might be smooth at certain speeds in certain gears, but not all. I think part of that is because of the transmission. I'm guessing MotoGP bikes are pretty damn smooth cuz they have seamless transmissions, so you can bang down 4-5 gears, at the end of a long straight going into a really slow turn, in a matter of a few seconds. But with production bikes if you do that with an auto-blipper it's not gonna be that smooth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Auto-blippers are cool. I don't think they're useful enough to make them worth the money unless they come stock on the bike, but they are pretty damn cool. I've only ever ridden one bike that had auto-blipper, and it was a stock Ducati 1299S when those came out. It was nice to have, but to be honest it wasn't as smooth as I thought it'd be. I was much smoother on my downshifts when using the clutch, plus the clutch gives you more control whereas the auto-blipper is what it is. It might be smooth at certain speeds in certain gears, but not all. I think part of that is because of the transmission. I'm guessing MotoGP bikes are pretty damn smooth cuz they have seamless transmissions, so you can bang down 4-5 gears, at the end of a long straight going into a really slow turn, in a matter of a few seconds. But with production bikes if you do that with an auto-blipper it's not gonna be that smooth.
Would be interesting to see if an aftermarket solution works better than a stock one. Looks pretty good in the vids, but that's all i know about the product at this point in time.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
My point was that your post was a bit harsh.

I don't have CF wherls either, but they're not as useful to me as something like that. It's all really personal preference
Sorry, it's easy to be taken wrong with either humor or in this case a comment.

It's priority's and what YOU value. For me it's a neat feature but IMO way over priced and nuts.

Many think it's crazy I use warmers and bought a Honda generator when one a third the cost would do the same thing.

I'm OK with that and I might be nuts but the quite from a decent generator is worth it.
For you not blipping the throttle.

SO again. I apologize if I put you off.
Having been on forums for over a decade I'm pretty thick skin and don't take most comments to heart.

For me, I have to respect the author for the comment to have any effect.
So for my words to have been considered harsh by you means I broke that trust. Please forgive.

Now harden up and ride like you stole it. :BigGrin
Want a track video of it being put to use. :devilish

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I downshift with no throttle blip and it’s completely fine due to the slipper, and for upshifts I have woolich. This is pretty cool though but that’s so pricey. I’d also rather get carbon fiber or magnesium wheels lol.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts