Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is not my year, definitely not my month.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Today I turn my bike on, let it warm up etc, and when I let go of the clutch I noticed that my hand was almost fully extended before the bike took off, being cautious I pulled over and adjusted the cable ( or thought I did).

I twisted the adjuster closer to the clutch lever I felt absolutely no slack at all. The cable was tight.

If I pulled the adjuster away from the level, bike would not take off, wouldn't even shut off on first gear.

I then adjusted the cable under the bike. , no matter what I couldn't get any slack.

Bike takes off now sloppy, feels like I'm in the friction zone, clutch lever almost all open before it takes off. A guy at the local shop here tells me I need a new clutch...

After I take off bike seems fine, I do feel like it doesn't go into the next gear until the level is almost all out...

No slipping gears, don't feel a difference in power...

In the photos I'm pulling in the lever and as you can see very little to no play, the second photo is how it looks under the engine.

Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Your wording is kinda confusing man.

First, adjust it by the engine. Loosen both nuts, pull the cable to the right until there is no slack. Tighten the nuts in that position. Then adjust it by the lever. Turn it out/away from the lever until u have a 1/16 gap between the lever itself and the base.

See if that helps.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your wording is kinda confusing man.

First, adjust it by the engine. Loosen both nuts, pull the cable to the right until there is no slack. Tighten the nuts in that position. Then adjust it by the lever. Turn it out/away from the lever until u have a 1/16 gap between the lever itself and the base.

See if that helps.
Thanks for helping :)
I seem to have no slack at all, when I turn the adjuster away from lever , the bike acts like the clutch is engaged, I loosened as much as I could go on both ends but the cable is still tight, and won't ride away unless I almost fully let go of the clutch lever... Seems almost like bike is in gear.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Btw... just to clear things up cause I think ur gettin ur wording backwards here.

Clutch lever pulled in = Clutch Disengaged
Clutch lever released = Clutch Engaged

Anyway, it sounds like u have a worn out clutch dude.

As the clutch plates wear out, they are allowed to compress further, causing your cable to get shorter and tighter. This can be compensated for by adjusting at the lever for more slack.

I think your clutch plates are fully worn and the adjustment limit on your cable has been maxed out.

Seems like its time for a new clutch.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Could also be a stretched cable, or worn clutch pull pin or rod, if the clutch doesn't feel like its slipping, I'd be looking at all the things mentioned before repacking the basket with new dscs.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw... just to clear things up cause I think ur gettin ur wording backwards here.

Clutch lever pulled in = Clutch Disengaged
Clutch lever released = Clutch Engaged

Anyway, it sounds like u have a worn out clutch dude.

As the clutch plates wear out, they are allowed to compress further, causing your cable to get shorter and tighter. This can be compensated for by adjusting at the lever for more slack.

I think your clutch plates are fully worn and the adjustment limit on your cable has been maxed out.

Seems like its time for a new clutch.
Thanks bro,
That's why the shop guy said too, I just don't trust many of the dealership shop guys around here.

I'mgoing to try to put it in myself, saw a couple of videos and didn't look extremely difficult to do... I hope.

Should I get the clutch and pressure plate, together, or just the clutch?

Sorry for all the questions , I just hate the feeling of not being able to ride the last stretch of the Summer :crazy

Thanks for your help bro.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Could also be a stretched cable, or worn clutch pull pin or rod, if the clutch doesn't feel like its slipping, I'd be looking at all the things mentioned before repacking the basket with new dscs.
This is true also. Check ur cable first to make sure the strands inside arent slowly tearing apart. Also the clutch pull pin rod, but u would have to take the clutch cover off for this one.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is true also. Check ur cable first to make sure the strands inside arent slowly tearing apart. Also the clutch pull pin rod, but u would have to take the clutch cover off for this one.
thanks guys, I'll be checking this today, I'll update as soon as I do. U guys rock!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts