Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need trackday numbers for my bike. Friend says he gets his from Lowes, and right before I headed there to buy some he sent me a pic of his applied to the bike. Hehe... his bike now looks like a mailbox (cuz they're mailbox-like numbers, though larger than I've seen on a mailbox before).

Has anyone printed out numbers on an inkjet printer with decal paper similar to this :)

Office Depot Brand Inkjet Window Decals Matte 8 12 x 11 Pack Of 10 by Office Depot

Looking to print and trim what's shown in the attached image.

I haven't found any decal media with a white background, so may need to print with different colors if I'm stuck with transparent media, if this will even work.

The idea here is that printed numbers would go on the windscreen of my 2013 ZX-6R and buddy's 2013 ZX-10r.

Thanks,

jimundascores

Edit: If decal paper won't work, perhaps label paper will. Or, I have thought about printing on photo paper and using glue spray to apply. Think the photo paper might be too thick to apply on a curved surface.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm not a tape kind of guy even for a day and prefer digital precision. Lowcel, from what I gleen you're a precision kind of guy, too. I imagine you work in QA given your personality, so if tape would work for you then perhaps I'll look into breaking out my x-acto knife for a test run.

jimundascores

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I'm not a tape kind of guy even for a day and prefer digital precision. Lowcel, from what I gleen you're a precision kind of guy, too. I imagine you work in QA given your personality, so if tape would work for you then perhaps I'll look into breaking out my x-acto knife for a test run.

jimundascores
For one day I could get by with tape. Probably not for much longer though.

I am actually an Engineer Tech for the state government. My job does not fit my personality. It is a necessity though

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For one day I could get by with tape. Probably not for much longer though.

I am actually an Engineer Tech for the state government. My job does not fit my personality. It is a necessity though
Interesting. Your online personality is QA all the way. That's not an insult.

There is a one day track day coming up in the immediate future, but there are others coming shortly thereafter. I admire that you built a track bike with numbers before ever tracking a bike, but I'm not there yet.

Looking for a simple way to print as needed for this track day and more going forward until I pull the trigger on a track bike like you did. That's what this thread is about. I appreciate your suggestion to tape up numbers, but you're offering solution that doesn't meet the need originally posted... Ink Jet printing.

jimundascores

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I second what TDH says. If there is not a shop close enough, a marine supply shop will have numbers for boat hull ID. Lowes is an option like your friend did but I would cut the numbers out of the reflective background.
I would think an Inkjet would run at the first drop of water.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Time is a factor given Road Atlanta on Saturday, which is one reason why I was looking to do this myself. I also like to do it myself when I can, even if it's only to find an alternative to what's out there.

I went to cycle gear per TDH's advice (Thanks, TDH). Their website doesn't list numbers, so I didn't think they would have them in the store. I wasn't impressed with their selection, but bought some numbers, anyway. I have since printed out my numbers on inkjet photo paper and clear coated them front and back so they don't bleed.

I'm going to run green painter's tape across wax paper, then spray some 3M 77 adhesive to the tape and apply the clear coated, inkjet cutout on top of that. Then I'll peel off the wax paper and apply. 3M adhesive is easy to clean up, but since I recently f'd up my wind screen with goof off (expensive dumb) I figure I'll test this out in advance of my replacement wind screen.

My further future plan is to go to a local sign shop with a better design with no mess vinyl, no background and easier application. I went by Quicksigns today and they needed 5 days to do the work. They have a $20 minimum order, but that should cover me for 5 or 6 full prints with the design/font of my choice.

Thanks to those that replied with alternatives. I'm sure the inkjet printer question screams n00ber, but if the shoe fits...

jimundascores

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I used to put down a layer of painter's tape on wax paper, then a layer of black duct tape on top. Cut out my numbers from a printed piece of paper, place them over the duct tape, and cut them out with a razor blade.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Do some trackdays require numbers?
Yes some do, the smaller org's are more relaxed but if there are big groups it's necessary. Also it's mandatory at some of the ****** tracks so the marshals can keep track of you in case you need to be black flagged etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts