Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't seem like there's enough room to mount the ram mount in front of the damper so I'm wondering if anyone else has successfully done it before I order it.

I bought the version that mounts to the brake lever bolts and I like it but I'd prefer the center mount so I can track my lean angle on my videos.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I had a ram mount for my CBR1000RR that went into the steering mount stem hole. Can't use it on my new bike because of the Ohlins damper, so I'll have to mount it with one of these instead:

You can mount it on the gas tank, side fairing, front windshield, etc. Just make sure the surface is clean and relatively flat for good suction.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I did it on stock tree nut and with the ohlins aftermarket nut on my 2013, but I believe it's a completely different damper placement on the 2012.

I used a file on the Ram Mount stem to fit into the stock 12mm nut as in attached pic and trimmed the rubber so that it was thicker at the top than they tell you to do in the instructions. Used a rubber mallet to ease it in tight. I could not get it to fit tight without doing it this way. After I removed it (see pic) you can't tell that the rubber was thicker than it was supposed to be.

Also attached a pic of the mount with ohlins nut. The hole was almost too big to allow the rubber to grip, so used a hair dryer to soften the rubber, tightened the bolt to just a bit thicker than the nut hole and used the mallet again.

Edit: could only attach one pic.

jimundascores

Attachments

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did it on stock tree nut and with the ohlins aftermarket nut on my 2013, but I believe it's a completely different damper placement on the 2012.

I used a file on the Ram Mount stem to fit into the stock 12mm nut as in attached pic and trimmed the rubber so that it was thicker at the top than they tell you to do in the instructions. Used a rubber mallet to ease it in tight. I could not get it to fit tight without doing it this way. After I removed it (see pic) you can't tell that the rubber was thicker than it was supposed to be.

Also attached a pic of the mount with ohlins nut. The hole was almost too big to allow the rubber to grip, so used a hair dryer to soften the rubber, tightened the bolt to just a bit thicker than the nut hole and used the mallet again.

Edit: could only attach one pic.

jimundascores
Thanks for the informative post. You sound like you're pretty handy.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a ram mount for my CBR1000RR that went into the steering mount stem hole. Can't use it on my new bike because of the Ohlins damper, so I'll have to mount it with one of these instead:

You can mount it on the gas tank, side fairing, front windshield, etc. Just make sure the surface is clean and relatively flat for good suction.
I'd be a little scared relying on suction. I drop everything off my bike without any help :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Couple more things...

Don't tighten the ram hex bolt too much. I've heard a number of people have snapped them.

Also, I was able to force the stem into the 12mm stem nut hole without damaging anything, but it did not sit flush and , the metal on metal contact caused vibrations that affected my gopro's sound more than the video. After filing the ram stem down I had rubber to metal contact which solved the vibration issue.

jimundascores

·
Registered
11 Posts
they don't have anything for 2009 to 2012 zx6r but you could probably adjust the forks. The forks on 2009 to 2011 are flushed, right?

I'm talkin about the rokform mount

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the damper off, placed the mount in the triple tree hole, put the damper back on. NO problems with fitting, rubbing or anything. I'll edit this post from my phone and add the pic.
Beautiful. All I needed to hear. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you notice just top right of the phone holder next the brake reservoir is the temp location for my 12 volt charger.
Cool. I've got a 6ft USB cable run longside the tank which is nice and clean and I keep the 12V connector under the seat.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I had a universal 7/8ths bar mount ram mount mounted on my left side clip on lots of pictures on here if you want to search. It did not need any major modification to work and mounted right next to the top triple it did not interfere with the gauges or anything

·
Registered
888 Posts
I took the damper off, placed the mount in the triple tree hole, put the damper back on. NO problems with fitting, rubbing or anything.
Which bolts did you listen to get the damper off? The star hex bolts on the damper or the standard hex bolts that secure down the gas tank?

The ones on the gas tank are extremely soft and strip easily.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts