Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Probably sounds really stupid, I know, but in my recent days putting the bodywork on and off the bike, I have lost 2 screws into the bike that have no evidence of existence after they fall in. No amount of tilting, shaking, or even looking where the screws could have gone has shed any light to this...

I've attached a picture of the area where I seem to keep losing screws, its the void right under the handlebars, right above the top corners of the radiator. I've lost a bodywork screw and a screw that helps mount the evap box to the fairing into this area, and it usually sounds like the screw falls down some metal and hits another large metal thing. It kinda clangs as it falls in, then it is gone, makes no more noise, never to even be heard from again. Obviously it isnt in the motor, and not in the bodywork, because I've taken it all off and those screws are still yet to be found. I am concerned it somehow got inside the frame, that is all I can think of that has happened. I am 100% certain these screws are in the bike and not on my garage floor. I see some rubber caps on the frame in places, is there a hole inside there somewhere that I could just throw a piece of tape over to prevent this from happening more? This is super frustrating, i don't see why they had to mount that stupid box and the fuses onto the fairings, with screws that have to go into those brackets at crazy angles and positions.

I may look into a friction fit or pop on/off solution for these pieces just to stop this madness.
Anyone else experience this? My 300 never ever had this type of thing happen, but of course it has a different frame type.

Thanks in advance. I'll be going to my trusted shop to be getting some screws I guess...
-Mike

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hey all,

Probably sounds really stupid, I know, but in my recent days putting the bodywork on and off the bike, I have lost 2 screws into the bike that have no evidence of existence after they fall in. No amount of tilting, shaking, or even looking where the screws could have gone has shed any light to this...

I've attached a picture of the area where I seem to keep losing screws, its the void right under the handlebars, right above the top corners of the radiator. I've lost a bodywork screw and a screw that helps mount the evap box to the fairing into this area, and it usually sounds like the screw falls down some metal and hits another large metal thing. It kinda clangs as it falls in, then it is gone, makes no more noise, never to even be heard from again. Obviously it isnt in the motor, and not in the bodywork, because I've taken it all off and those screws are still yet to be found. I am concerned it somehow got inside the frame, that is all I can think of that has happened. I am 100% certain these screws are in the bike and not on my garage floor. I see some rubber caps on the frame in places, is there a hole inside there somewhere that I could just throw a piece of tape over to prevent this from happening more? This is super frustrating, i don't see why they had to mount that stupid box and the fuses onto the fairings, with screws that have to go into those brackets at crazy angles and positions.

I may look into a friction fit or pop on/off solution for these pieces just to stop this madness.
Anyone else experience this? My 300 never ever had this type of thing happen, but of course it has a different frame type.

Thanks in advance. I'll be going to my trusted shop to be getting some screws I guess...
-Mike View attachment 104465
Lol When you remove all the fairings at some point you’ll hear them hit the ground...

Ace hardware has nice stainless button heads you can use as replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had literally every single fairing off the bike. Neither of the two screws showed themselves. I was repairing some scratches, so I had to take it all off to isolate the pieces I needed, and it was not in the fairings. Lol I have no idea where it could have gone. dropped both screws in the same right side hole and they just disappear.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
They are probably on top of or between some part of the engine or radiator, or maybe in the belly pan/fairing.

I usually use a bendy magnetic pick up tool like this to feel around for screw or bolts in places like that: Pick-Up Tool, Mag, Flex, 21-9/16 In, 1.5 lb!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Now that you mention it I’ve had this happen with my track bike...very annoying especially before I learned to keep all types of spares on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
SparkyMJ, me again. I would recommend checking your bolts weekly and tightening as needed, just like I check my chain weekly and grease it if necessary. I had gotten into the practice on my old 650r used to lose bolts at random and the plastic punch in ones too but, I noticed my ZX also does seem to get more loose bolts sooner and more often too. Haven't lost any but, see they get loose each week it seems.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I have checked all the bodywork bolts and some others, and I found almost all of them quite loose from the dealer. Like I could turn them without a tool. So I snugged everything up I could find, and since have not had an issue with anything backing out lately.

Got in some more riding and nearly certain its still in there. it is not in any fairings, I took every single body work piece off and it was no where to be found. I looked around the radiator and the rubber/foam flaps around it, as well as other rubber flaps around the area. May have to pick up a magnet and see if it is behind the radiator, but that area is also quite open, and relatively visible, especially on the bottom by the headers. but, I can look some more. Tomorrow hopefully going to pick up some spares, and see when my shop guy can help me get a good baseline suspension setup going.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I wanted a more elegant/quick solution for removing/installing the lower side fairings, so I replaced them bolts with DZUS fasteners (these are the MV Agusta type DZUS fasteners from KurveyGirl.com):

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh wow that is a nice solution! Did you have to force them in, modify anything, or any other weird quirks to get them to work? Would be cool to do something like that and not need to remove threads or something.
I'll definitely look into those. Thanks!
-Mike

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Oh wow that is a nice solution! Did you have to force them in, modify anything, or any other weird quirks to get them to work? Would be cool to do something like that and not need to remove threads or something.
I'll definitely look into those. Thanks!
-Mike
Just slight modification to get the metal clips to slip on to the fairing part underneath (just a little trimming here and there). Very easy to do, and all you need is a sharp knife or some sharp snips. I can take some pictures next time I have the lower fairings off.

Also, I love the way DZUS fasteners look way more that regular bolts! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
They are probably on top of or between some part of the engine or radiator, or maybe in the belly pan/fairing.

I usually use a bendy magnetic pick up tool like this to feel around for screw or bolts in places like that: Pick-Up Tool, Mag, Flex, 21-9/16 In, 1.5 lb!

i second the magnetic pick-up tool. just shove it into all holes, crevices, nooks, and move it around, eventually, you'll retrieve it, and will find those screws stuck to it. (or other screws, you didn't know were lost yet) see my pickup tool (solid red handle), in attached pic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah yeah thats the best kind of pickup tool. Another thing I should just buy now before I need it again...

Strider yeah that would be really rad if you could get some pictures of the inside, definitely interested in that upgrade.

-Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts