Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I crashed on track last year, and while I didn’t need a trip in the meat wagon I had some Serious rib and back pain for quite some time. I was extremely fortunate to have insurance that covered track days but also covered the cost of replacing my riding gear. I took the opportunity to level up and spend more money on top of the insurance and purchased a techair race vest and a jacket.

The race vest takes up a LOT of space under a jacket, my new jacket would need my race back protector and my heated vest to take up the same room the vest does. I purchased the Race vest last fall before the announcement that the tech air 5 could run street and track algorithms. I’m still pretty happy with my purchase as I think the race vest is the only one that will fire 1 cartridge at the track and 2 on the street. As well as it zips into my jacket and is easy on and off.

Positives:
1peace of mind, after having a relatively “safe” crash on track and how sore I was after, the thought of a street related incident makes me a lot less likely to wick it up on the street. Having the airbag system doesn’t give me a sense of invulnerability but it does give me the peace of mind that I‘m mitigating my risks of injury. (I have sustained a hip socket fracture and dislocation, and a bi-malleolar ankle fracture and have lots of screws and plates in me, so I know what recovery looks like)

negatives:
1WEIGHT. this setup is HEAVY.
2bulky, im probably close to needing the size up, but it’s sloppy so I have a “race fit” jacket with the vest in and not much room for layers.
3 can’t fit or use my heated vest.

Anyone else using a tech-air or similar setup? Thoughts opinions?
have any questions about them? I’m not an expert but can do my best!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm really glad you brought this up, because I had a big high side crash on track in January and broke 5 ribs collapsed a lung and shattered my shoulder blade, and I just started riding street again and rebuilding my track bike. I didn't have on any under armor inside my cheap Sedici race suit, which I had previously low sided in a few times before my big crash. SO, I finally ordered the A-stars Missile Ignition... and if it fits well with the Tech Air race I'll be using that from now on. So I would also like to hear feed back from others about this.

I was extremely fortunate to have insurance that covered track days but also covered the cost of replacing my riding gear. I took the opportunity to level up and spend more money on top of the insurance and purchased a techair race vest and a jacket.
Hey so what insurance do you have that covers you for track days?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really glad you brought this up, because I had a big high side crash on track in January and broke 5 ribs collapsed a lung and shattered my shoulder blade, and I just started riding street again and rebuilding my track bike. I didn't have on any under armor inside my cheap Sedici race suit, which I had previously low sided in a few times before my big crash. SO, I finally ordered the A-stars Missile Ignition... and if it fits well with the Tech Air race I'll be using that from now on. So I would also like to hear feed back from others about this.

Hey so what insurance do you have that covers you for track days?
Ouch that’s a big one! I low sided but rolled like I was in the spin cycle and tore some muscles in chest and ribs. I’m pretty sure I have my dad sold on a tech-air 5. He’s retired and put 20,000km on his bike last year and lives in a more urban area so I’m really keen on getting the old man into some higher level of protection.

Im in Canada it’s a 3rd party insurer. Who dropped me as a client after paying me out on bike and gear...

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've seen a lot on track. Saw Kala Y high side with a vest. It was lanyard operated and looking thru my photo I could see the vest inflate well before she landed. This was 2 or 3 years ago and I'm sure she has gone to a airbag suit. Sorry I can't recall, either I'm getting old or have hit my head too many times but there was a study I saw on a different forum. Track folks were saying that riders with airbags had much less serious injuries. From what I've read she do a better job with neck support than others. I have been looking into it for the street and worry about the Dianese vest being too hot in high temperatures and will probably go with a HeLite vest. Dianese and Alpinstars are better in some crashes but have to be sent back to be re-packed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep I worry that the big plastic bag vest I’m wearing might be a bit too warm for peak summer temps. Will see how it goes, not like there’s a lot of room under it for a cool vest! Ive already chosen not to wear it for early season rides as the heated vest was needed more! I’m sure as the tech improves they’ll figure out how to add all the airflow, layer ability etc to suit the sport Touring crowd as well.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
Tech air 5 for me after breaking 5 ribs and puncturing my lung last June after hitting a deer...

It is heavy, it fits me very tightly, but it also makes my jackets fit far too snug for that "4mm" air gap all the way around they require for non tech air compatible, so I only wear in inside my full suit, which is fine because I really only ride for fun and give zero fucks what anyone thinks I look like while riding. "hey superhero can you fly" I just heard that last weekend, followed by some other assclown "where's your cape to go with your leotard"........ of course retards with little to no gear riding like assfucks

It does restrict airflow and even movement and after a 420 miles ride day a couple weeks ago in 65ish weather, that was my only complaint- the restricted movement....... but I am sure on the 80+ degrees days I am really going notice the lack of airflow. for those in the south and ride in 100 weather- it'll be a cooker I am sure....
restricted movement I mostly notice when I try and look behind or when stopped turning is much harder, or even when I try and sit up straight when idling through towns at 20mph and taking a reprive from riding position...... but when going and actually riding the fun roads and no care what happens behind me (nobody following me) zero issues thus far

The only other real downfall to the tech air 5 I see..........or technically can't see.......... the lights on the vest are not visible... so as soon as you zip up your suit you wonder once in a while if the vest is still turned on and no way to check sans pulling over and unzipping

I am not afraid of the removed back protector from the suit or jacket as the airbag hard back takes its place plus you (should have) an air bag filling that spot when needed........ But yes I can see the need to absolutely go bigger by a full size on a jacket with this on if you like a snug fit ("racefit" is what all my jackets and suits have always been)
I think just buying the actual race or street tech air with actual tech air garmets would be a better option just simply from a fit perspective as with all the extra stretch panels you could still have that "racefit" and it would still expand in a crash and you could see the damn lights---althoguh the durability of those leds is tenuous at best out on the sleeve when you do crash, seen several get worn off from the slide....

Hopefully I do not need to test its effectiveness.......... but I have already sadly had deer within a couple feet of me this season - super close calls of near misses- while going 60+ and I know another fucking woodrat is going to get into me, it is only a matter of time-- not even an if, it is a when... hopefully it can wait a couple years though although the deer hits have traditionally came in pairs for me... (thus why I bought this set up- hoping no more broken ribs or punctured lungs or broken collarbones or anything else, especially those lengthy hospital stays and expensive helicopter rides......)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Crashed twice on track with my HIT air suit. One I probably wouldn’t have suffered many injuries anyway, it wasn’t very fast and was caused by me avoiding a rider low siding into my path and I had to avoid running over his head. 🤦‍♂️

The second time I lost my front brakes coming down the front straight into turn one. I am 100% convinced if I had not had my airbag I would have had much more serious injuries. As it was, I walked away with a bruised rib and a sore body.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
I have had more than a couple of my customers crash who wear those outside the gear airbag vests, hit air and other brands.... all tethered as I recall- so they only deploy after you are away from the bike, not much good in a lowside of anytime you hang on to the bike til after impact imo....

Crashes are funny things because you never know the outcome, lots of times you come out mostly unscathed in crashes you think would have casued injuries and other times you end up with injuries in crashes you would think were not as bad, and were certainly not as fast.

Mixed reviews from all these people in those external vests, but all of them had no center mass injuries, most of them had no injuries at all sans a couple who got road rash once the leathers wore through near the elbows or hips- a couple had huge rash despite the hole in the leathers being sub 1 or 2 inch size....

crashes vary so much hard to really say how much this new technology of air has saved and how much is just dumb fucking luck.......
I crashed in T1 at BIR back in like 1989 doing 150+ and got up and rode the bike back to pit exit and went to the hospital with my only real injury being a torn thumb and 4 feet of barb wired stuck in it from grabbing that to stop from sliding into the woods head first.... raced the next day
hit a rider being stupid cutting right across me and flew like superman for a very long distance before hitting the ground, everyone who saw it thought for sure I would be dead, T1 is banked and when I slid off that flew and tumbled in the air until I hit the ground again and then slid 100 yards to the woods (dew on the grass)
conversly I have had crashes back in the day at sub 40mph where I did not even slide 10' and remained on track, and end up with a broken ankle once, sprained ankle another time and some rash on my palms once the gloves burnt through
Gear in the 80's for mere mortals was about 100x less effective that what one can buy today and spend less today for better than what you got back then.......absolutely zero ankle protection boots and absolutely zero slide protection gloves back then sucked ass big time and leathers did not have all the added impact protection they have now....

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
Lloyd, you were wearing leather while I was riding in jeans and a tee shirt. I have the scars to prove your point

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
So the other day a rider shows up wanting an insurance estimate ......... no call, no appointment, just appears as I was about to leave at about 5pm to head back to see my mom............ He was wearing his external airbag vest deployed ! and obvious fresh dirt and grass all over him and the vest- the bike had bodywork hanging on the ground all freshly rashed and still had gravel and sand and grass stuck in it, and in the front tire bead and around the rt front fork tube
no gloves......... bloodied palms and fingers
jeans with a giant tear in the left knee (and ground to the bone knee cap, about the size of a silver dollar) and both back pockets gone and through to his ass with a giant red rash that looked pretty bad to me..despite trying to not look at it much
no jacket under the vest, unsure if he had one on and took it off or never had a jacket on under the vest....... rash up both forearms and his outer shoulder--all had clearly been bleeding but was dried up now
helmet missing the visor and grind marks all over it, it was some old as shit piece of craptastic junk..... kiwi from the 80's or early 90's.... that the liner was so smashed and dirty and it was atleast 2 sizes too big for his head.......

I asked the guy why he did not get some medical help before rushing over here.....

He tells me he did not rush over, he came from red wing area and crashed on "twisty 60" (so that is about a 80 mile drive to here.... if he took most direct route to get here)

do those airbag vests really stay inflated for over an hour?
granted it was not rock solid but it certainly was deployed and atleast 75% full.....and the scrapes on/in it and the fact the cord and "mechanical attachments" were ground off it.. then the outer shoulder area was all rashed down and had threads hanging................... looks like it'll be a one time use vest for him
his bike;
yeah it'll be totalled........... he tells me part way through writing down the needed info he only has liability (well they aint paying on your crash with liability only buddy..........)

he left telling me he would come back another day for the estimate after he got full coverage......... fucking crook, I told him to not bother I want no part of the law breaking and sent him on his way with the advice to go see a doctor and get better gear that actually fits and then wear it.... and take some fucking riding lessons and quit bragging about how fast you are---clearly he isn't skilled enough to go "fast"

Of his perhaps 20 minutes here he must have told me atleast 5 times how fast he drives and "knows twisty 60 like the back of his hand"

guy wreaked of cigarettes and body odor.... fucking disgusting

What bike you ask........... clapped out early 2000's gsxr600 painted flat black (rattle can job) and not like the plastics were even removed to be painted, overspray on the engine, frame, brakes, wheels you name it even what was left of his windshield was painted black on the outside......... No signals, no mirrors and both tires were long past their best used by tread depth indicators (like maybe had he bought new tires 1000 miles ago he wouldn't be in this situation?) the front brake master cyclinder resevoir was missing and the throttle was so ground down it stuck where ever you turned it, you could see the inner cables inside the cable sheeth!!! and it was obvisou it had been down numerous times before, the huge dent in the rear wheel and broken off swingarm sppol and ground down axle nut are on the side not hit this crash....

Reactions: laggy311

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
Did you by any chance record his L/P, VIN, etc.? Any idea what drugs he might have been on, to make a ~ hour drive to see you, before the shock wore off?

Seems like an anonymous call to the local LEOs might be in order.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like airbag systems may inadvertently effecting the laws of natural selection...

my TechAir race and jacket combo is for sure hotter than a conventional setup, my dad has a deposit on a TechAir 5 when they show up in stock. That system looks much more slim, so will likely help a bit with fit/airflow.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
Sounds like airbag systems may inadvertently effecting the laws of natural selection...

my TechAir race and jacket combo is for sure hotter than a conventional setup, my dad has a deposit on a TechAir 5 when they show up in stock. That system looks much more slim, so will likely help a bit with fit/airflow.
I agree.........

I own a tech air 5, nothing cooling about it, pre airbag I would not ride if it was going to hit 90*, now that threshold is much closer to 80*, even when it was 70* a month ago it was warm..........

today was 101*, 94* by noon, I haven't even opened an outisde door since I arrived at 7am!!! Just working away in the AC

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
Did you by any chance record his L/P, VIN, etc.? Any idea what drugs he might have been on, to make a ~ hour drive to see you, before the shock wore off?

Seems like an anonymous call to the local LEOs might be in order.
I have all his information as well as all the bikes information, first thing that gets filled out when people arrive, that drop-off form!

I even looked back all the way to 2007 records to see if he had ever been here before......nope- he must know someone who is my customer though, otherwise doubtful he would have found me at all?!?

The fact he even had insurance shocked me based off the looks of him and the looks of the bike (imagining the shitbox it was pre crash)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Went by Cycle Gear a couple of days ago and they had a Dainese vest in. On something of a whim I bought it. Haven't had time to do anything with it yet but fits well and can squeeze my Warm and Safe heated jacket under it. Will probably need a new mesh jacket as the fits a bit too tight and need to allow for a one layer over the vest under the jacket. Have been thinking about a vest or external for a while but when I saw one as was able to try it on decided to go for it I like the reusable nature of the Helite and similar vest but realize if I go down har enough to activate the airbag the bike probably will not be ridable so Dainese is good for long trip. Currently running a Level 2 D30 back protector in my jacket and do not like the idea of no back protector and relying on the airbag vest. Will probably go to a D30 or similar Level 1 which is thinner but still provides some spreading of impact force and should be good in conjunction with the airbag vest. Any of the vests may block airflow but if it is just too hot I do have the option of removing the airbag vest if in an area where the probability of going down is minimal.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
So the other day a rider shows up wanting an insurance estimate ......... no call, no appointment, just appears as I was about to leave at about 5pm to head back to see my mom............ He was wearing his external airbag vest deployed ! and obvious fresh dirt and grass all over him and the vest- the bike had bodywork hanging on the ground all freshly rashed and still had gravel and sand and grass stuck in it, and in the front tire bead and around the rt front fork tube
no gloves......... bloodied palms and fingers
jeans with a giant tear in the left knee (and ground to the bone knee cap, about the size of a silver dollar) and both back pockets gone and through to his ass with a giant red rash that looked pretty bad to me..despite trying to not look at it much
no jacket under the vest, unsure if he had one on and took it off or never had a jacket on under the vest....... rash up both forearms and his outer shoulder--all had clearly been bleeding but was dried up now
helmet missing the visor and grind marks all over it, it was some old as shit piece of craptastic junk..... kiwi from the 80's or early 90's.... that the liner was so smashed and dirty and it was atleast 2 sizes too big for his head.......

I asked the guy why he did not get some medical help before rushing over here.....

He tells me he did not rush over, he came from red wing area and crashed on "twisty 60" (so that is about a 80 mile drive to here.... if he took most direct route to get here)

do those airbag vests really stay inflated for over an hour?
granted it was not rock solid but it certainly was deployed and atleast 75% full.....and the scrapes on/in it and the fact the cord and "mechanical attachments" were ground off it.. then the outer shoulder area was all rashed down and had threads hanging................... looks like it'll be a one time use vest for him
his bike;
yeah it'll be totalled........... he tells me part way through writing down the needed info he only has liability (well they aint paying on your crash with liability only buddy..........)

he left telling me he would come back another day for the estimate after he got full coverage......... fucking crook, I told him to not bother I want no part of the law breaking and sent him on his way with the advice to go see a doctor and get better gear that actually fits and then wear it.... and take some fucking riding lessons and quit bragging about how fast you are---clearly he isn't skilled enough to go "fast"

Of his perhaps 20 minutes here he must have told me atleast 5 times how fast he drives and "knows twisty 60 like the back of his hand"

guy wreaked of cigarettes and body odor.... fucking disgusting

What bike you ask........... clapped out early 2000's gsxr600 painted flat black (rattle can job) and not like the plastics were even removed to be painted, overspray on the engine, frame, brakes, wheels you name it even what was left of his windshield was painted black on the outside......... No signals, no mirrors and both tires were long past their best used by tread depth indicators (like maybe had he bought new tires 1000 miles ago he wouldn't be in this situation?) the front brake master cyclinder resevoir was missing and the throttle was so ground down it stuck where ever you turned it, you could see the inner cables inside the cable sheeth!!! and it was obvisou it had been down numerous times before, the huge dent in the rear wheel and broken off swingarm sppol and ground down axle nut are on the side not hit this crash....
Dude definitely voted for Hitlary.

I will say this: after carrying full insurance on all my vehicles and only making 2 accident claims in 20 years on 2 out of god knows how many vehicles, I should definitely get a refund of some sort. Crown level discounts at progressive don’t cut it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Or you could look at it like everyone has a crash and you are more at risk due to not having yours in 20 years :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I ordered the Misano 2 with D-air from Cycle Gear, gonna try it on and see how it fits. I've been looking to go with either this set up or the A-Stars air bag set up. I talked with a local racing shop owner who also currently races in Moto America, and he spoke to an A-Stars rep that claims they are going to discontinue the Tech Air Race at some point soon, and that they will just have the stand alone airbag vest Tech Air 5, which I don't really like. It's bulky, doesn't have velcro, and seemingly hard to fit right while putting on the leathers. So if this Dianese Misano 2 fits well, it will be a keeper. And I'll report back after I do a track day with it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts