Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 ZX6R 636 brand new this last December. Ever since I got it my gas light comes on at the 70-80 mile mark. I wind up filling up every two days! One time I figured the light might be turning at the half way point and I wound up running out of gas on the freeway. I pushed it a mile to a gas station and still was only able to put in 2.7 gallons! Please tell me someone has a solution for me. (I average 40mpgs)

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
If you are getting 40 MPG, you should get at least 130 miles before the light comes on.

What mods are on the bike?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you are getting 40 MPG, you should get at least 130 miles before the light comes on.

What mods are on the bike?
Ugh. My light comes on at 95 miles. The dyno tune knocked it way down, and the auto tuner took it down from there. Luckily, it feels faster with each loss of mpg. I wonder sometimes if the richness is going to fuck me, but then it goes BRAAAAP and I don't care as much.

I really hope the AT knows what it's doing. I shut it down from manipulating the A/F some time ago, though.

jimundascores

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
What rpm do you normally cruise at? My light would come on around 80-90 Mike's keeping it at 8K in every gear. Now that I've bumped that up to 9k my light will come on around 115.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
What rpm do you normally cruise at? My light would come on around 80-90 Mike's keeping it at 8K in every gear. Now that I've bumped that up to 9k my light will come on around 115.
Admittedly, I'm -1+2, so that hurts at the pump a bit. I'm 9-11k most of the time because most of my miles are to work on the highway.

Good question.

jimundascores

·
Registered
126 Posts
thats def. strange..i have a '14 and i can go past 160 miles before filling up..gets 47 MPG...only mods are a slip on and Rapid Bike Fuel management system that constantly adjusts the a/f ratio no matter the mods or weather.

it actually gets better mpg with the mods on it than it did stock..stock was about 45mpg...i would go back to your dealer and ask them to check it out...when mine is near empty i can fill up a little past 4 gallons

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
thats def. strange..i have a '14 and i can go past 160 miles before filling up..gets 47 MPG...only mods are a slip on and Rapid Bike Fuel management system that constantly adjusts the a/f ratio no matter the mods or weather.

it actually gets better mpg with the mods on it than it did stock..stock was about 45mpg...i would go back to your dealer and ask them to check it out...when mine is near empty i can fill up a little past 4 gallons
I was getting 45mpg for the longest time until I started f'ing with my bike (slip-on and mid-pipe, tune, full exhaust, tune, autotune). The enhanced performance outweighs the cost of gas by a long shot.

jimundascores

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
I bought a 2013 ZX6R 636 brand new this last December. Ever since I got it my gas light comes on at the 70-80 mile mark. I wind up filling up every two days! One time I figured the light might be turning at the half way point and I wound up running out of gas on the freeway. I pushed it a mile to a gas station and still was only able to put in 2.7 gallons! Please tell me someone has a solution for me. (I average 40mpgs)
Someone else may have already suggested it..... you are still in your warranty period. Take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
Admittedly, I'm -1+2, so that hurts at the pump a bit. I'm 9-11k most of the time because most of my miles are to work on the highway.

Good question.

jimundascores
Most of my ride, the tach is between 6 and 8K, when I am riding steady state on the highway, roughly 70 MPH. OEM gearing.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Most of my ride, the tach is between 6 and 8K, when I am riding steady state on the highway, roughly 70 MPH. OEM gearing.
I remember those days. I've become used to the 9k+ drone at that same speed or higher with the new gearing. Initially it drove me nuts, but now I do appreciate the extra oomph.

I have sprockets and matching chains for stock, -1+2 and 0+2 to swap for various tracks, but I've found that there are very few people I can't pass on the Road Atlanta back straight with -1+2, so it's good for Tally and Barber. That would change quickly at RA in a heartbeat if I were ever to bump to Intermediate.

The problem is that I can't see how many people I might be holding up at RA (156 mph indicated, so probably 140 actual). I have two GoPro's, but it just doesn't feel right pointing one backwards.

jimundascores

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So if I cruise at a higher rpm I'll get a little better mileage? I'm normally around 8k

·
Registered
314 Posts
As silly as it sounds, but are you sure you are filling the tank completely? I've been riding for 15+yrs and I've been on tons of group rides and have some people need gas after 60-80miles. Come to find out they stick the entire nozzle in the tank and when the handle goes click and stops that they stop. It only makes the tank 2/3's full.

Just thinking outside the box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called my dealership and they told me they will have to send out a rep from Kawasaki to take a look at it. Looks like I won't have my baby for a couple weeks :(

·
Registered
618 Posts
BTW for those with -1/+2, the tach is a liar, revs in 6th roughly match speed. 8000 rpms is 80, 10,000 rpms is 100. 16,000 rpms is 160. Give or take 1 or 2 mph from varying tire diameters.

My mpg went from 42 to 34, but she's a lot more fun under 40mph than she was before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As silly as it sounds, but are you sure you are filling the tank completely? I've been riding for 15+yrs and I've been on tons of group rides and have some people need gas after 60-80miles. Come to find out they stick the entire nozzle in the tank and when the handle goes click and stops that they stop. It only makes the tank 2/3's full.

Just thinking outside the box.

Yeah I'm sure I was thinking that too but I can see the gas at the brim

·
Registered
985 Posts
2013 here and my light always comes on at around 110-120 miles and I am averaging roughly 38mpg (short 3-5 mile commutes daily). J

1 - 19 of 19 Posts